Interval runs... do I need more than that?

So... for 2019 I've been starting up again with watching macros/ calories/ daily exercise. I do around 30 to 45 min each morning of 2-2 or 4-3 interval run. Burns around 200 cal.
Any thoughts on what I should add on to this workout? I need toning and fat loss throughout my body so I'm assuming I might need to do more work...?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I’m not sure what those mean?

And why are you doing these runs? Do you like running? Aspire to run longer/faster/etc?

If you’re looking for general fitness, start with getting at least 150 min of moderate cardio (doing something you enjoy doing-does not need to be on a machine at the gym) and 2 full body sessions of resistance training every week (can be calisthenics or lifting heavy barbells or a million other things).

To lose fat-you need to be in a calorie deficit. Workouts help burn more calories - which is helpful to creating and maintaining that deficit-but your fat loss is controlled by how many calories you eat relative to how many you burn.

If you have specific fitness goals, we can help steer you towards things that might help you work on those.
  • cretiarose
    cretiarose Posts: 7 Member
    I didn't choose running for any particular reason, other than 1) heart rate goes up and I sweat 2) can still watch Netflix.
    I'd be open to trying other activities at the gym that do that. I just need to achieve ~10 lbs weight loss by lowering body fat.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    If your whole goal is to burn fat, you need to be looking 90% at your diet.

I also don't understand the notation for those intervals, are those walk/run times ?

Running is great, so is sweating... but i want to help make sure your effort are alligned to your goals.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    You may want to consider recomp to help you get a “toned” look. Have a look at this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

I’m still unclear on what those intervals are?

If you’re doing a run-walk and want to learn to run, try couch25k - which will build you to running for 30 continuous minutes. That would be a primary starting point for any further running you might want to do.

But since you’re not necessarily married to running or the interval workouts you’re doing, then any cardio you enjoy that gets your heart rate up will keep you healthy (and burn calories).

But if you’re looking at 10 pounds and hoping to reduce body fat, I think you’ll be way happier with your results if you take a look at recomp.

If you’re looking to hit a specific number to make weight for something, then recomp might not be the way to go. Recomp will leave you at or very near your current weight-you’ll just lower body fat and look way more buff (“toned”).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    The intervals are probably run-walk minutes. So like 2-2 would be run for two, walk for two.

Honestly OP if you enjoy it and are challenging yourself a little, keep at it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    cretiarose wrote: »
    So... for 2019 I've been starting up again with watching macros/ calories/ daily exercise. I do around 30 to 45 min each morning of 2-2 or 4-3 interval run. Burns around 200 cal.
    Any thoughts on what I should add on to this workout? I need toning and fat loss throughout my body so I'm assuming I might need to do more work...?

Personally I'd suggest using a plan like Couch to 5K to help you develop the capacity to run continuously. If I'm treadmilling I can watch a video whilst running at about a 10 minute mile quite comfortably.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    toning will require some sort of strength or resistance training.
    fat loss is from a calorie deficit
    if you want to improve your running, try looking online for a plan. there are lots of great plans depending on your goals. many for free.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    If your goal is fat loss, then don't worry so much about exercise. Instead, focus on diet. If you want to tone, try strength training as you lose weight. You can watch TV while doing bodyweight or dumbbell exercises just as easily as you can on a treadmill. If you like to run, then feel free to do that and get some extra calorie burn; but that should not be your primary focus for a goal of losing fat.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    I do interval running at the start of my gym sesh. I'm a poor runner but that's why I do it, coz I want to improve! I do 4 min brisk walk to warm up then 2 mins run 1 min walk on 1.5 incline, repeating for about twenty minutes. This is enough to get me into my max heart rate a few times and get me sweating. Any more than that and I feel like dying! As long as it's a challenge for you and you're meeting your personal goals, it's all good!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    39flavours wrote: »
    I do interval running at the start of my gym sesh. I'm a poor runner but that's why I do it, coz I want to improve! I do 4 min brisk walk to warm up then 2 mins run 1 min walk on 1.5 incline, repeating for about twenty minutes. This is enough to get me into my max heart rate a few times and get me sweating. Any more than that and I feel like dying! As long as it's a challenge for you and you're meeting your personal goals, it's all good!

C25k includes gradual increases in running intervals, which would help you see improvement quicker, if you're interested?
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Thanks TT, I've looked at it but I think I'd have to devote more time to cardio than I'd like to for the now, I think they're 45 min sessions? Might be wrong, but it's definitely something I'll attempt at some point :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    C25k is 30 minutes, three days a week. The current recommendation for health is 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise, so if you do C25k plus a couple of days of walking, biking, etc. you would do a lot to improve your health and you'd burn more calories.
  • cretiarose
    cretiarose Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks everyone... the intervals are 4 min jog, 3 min walking climb(rest). Sorry for not clarifying that!
    I plan to do body measurement in a few week to see if this by itself is working.
    I am staying within calories and about 40%carb/30/30... hoping all of this works to reduce body fat!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2019
    cretiarose wrote: »
    Thanks everyone... the intervals are 4 min jog, 3 min walking climb(rest). Sorry for not clarifying that!
    I plan to do body measurement in a few week to see if this by itself is working.
    I am staying within calories and about 40%carb/30/30... hoping all of this works to reduce body fat!

add in some lifting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I've been a runner for a few years now and while my legs have 'toned' up because i do a lot of hills, running has never done much for my body composition.

Adding in a full body routine 2 x a week has helps immensely!