Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I dropped a pound since yesterday. 185.6

I expect it's an anomaly. But if it sticks around, only 0.6 pounds to competition weight.

Right at competition weight this morning. :o Ten days to lose another pound or so to give me some wiggle room.

Nice work! You seemed so pessimistic about getting there when you first posted about it.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Haven’t posted in here since I began my bulk but come March I hope to be back. By hope I mean I unfortunately got hurt at the top of my bulk. Absolute worst time for that to happen because I’m not all that thrilled with how I look, lost strength and some muscle and I can’t lift upper body at all and haven’t in 8 weeks or so.

I came down with an overuse condition termed distal clavicle osteolosis. Also known as weight lifters shoulder. In retro spec I trained to heavy on bench and OHP for to long and to many days per week. Maybe bad form on bench. Once I realized I wasn’t fighting thru normal pain it was to late. Took a cortisone shot last week and it’s helped but staying off upper body for 6 more total weeks to see what next steps are.

So I don’t know.. I’ve read not to cut if I can’t lift. I’ll be really upset if I’m stuck here and then need surgery too.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about this... are you considering surgery? From what I've read the outcome is usually very good with a return to full activity after 3 months.

I honestly don’t know. I can’t be in a sling for really any period of time. Would be very difficult to work a computer as effectively as I need to every day. And I have very young children who still have to be picked up all the time for high chairs and diapers. My wife would take it all on but it would be stressful.

At this point I’m hoping shots can buy me a few years. My Dr is more optimistic then I am and says I could likely recover with rest. I fear I’ll feel better , try to bench and just be in a cycle where I never progress. I’ve already had a torn labrum in this shoulder which I had open Surgery from but that was 18 years ago but yeah I hear this is nothing like that.

Right now my plan is picking up nothing heavy for two weeks. I’m over a week in. So Doing all machines for legs 3x a week. I’ve been doing some light band work like dislocates and pull aparts. Then I’ll try adding in some rows and run that for a few weeks and then try light pushing. Maybe bench with foam block or floor presses to limit ROM

Best of luck to you. I dealt with that last year. I no longer bench or OHP. In fact I laid off all pressing for about a year. I just did pull, pull, pull and lots and lots of band rotator cuff work and scapular strengthening. I did straight arm work and static holds to work the pecs and biceps. I’ve recently added back in pushups and dips in moderation and so far so good. I hope you can avoid surgery.

Same exact injury?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2019
    Haven’t posted in here since I began my bulk but come March I hope to be back. By hope I mean I unfortunately got hurt at the top of my bulk. Absolute worst time for that to happen because I’m not all that thrilled with how I look, lost strength and some muscle and I can’t lift upper body at all and haven’t in 8 weeks or so.

I came down with an overuse condition termed distal clavicle osteolosis. Also known as weight lifters shoulder. In retro spec I trained to heavy on bench and OHP for to long and to many days per week. Maybe bad form on bench. Once I realized I wasn’t fighting thru normal pain it was to late. Took a cortisone shot last week and it’s helped but staying off upper body for 6 more total weeks to see what next steps are.

So I don’t know.. I’ve read not to cut if I can’t lift. I’ll be really upset if I’m stuck here and then need surgery too.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about this... are you considering surgery? From what I've read the outcome is usually very good with a return to full activity after 3 months.

I honestly don’t know. I can’t be in a sling for really any period of time. Would be very difficult to work a computer as effectively as I need to every day. And I have very young children who still have to be picked up all the time for high chairs and diapers. My wife would take it all on but it would be stressful.

At this point I’m hoping shots can buy me a few years. My Dr is more optimistic then I am and says I could likely recover with rest. I fear I’ll feel better , try to bench and just be in a cycle where I never progress. I’ve already had a torn labrum in this shoulder which I had open Surgery from but that was 18 years ago but yeah I hear this is nothing like that.

Right now my plan is picking up nothing heavy for two weeks. I’m over a week in. So Doing all machines for legs 3x a week. I’ve been doing some light band work like dislocates and pull aparts. Then I’ll try adding in some rows and run that for a few weeks and then try light pushing. Maybe bench with foam block or floor presses to limit ROM

Best of luck to you. I dealt with that last year. I no longer bench or OHP. In fact I laid off all pressing for about a year. I just did pull, pull, pull and lots and lots of band rotator cuff work and scapular strengthening. I did straight arm work and static holds to work the pecs and biceps. I’ve recently added back in pushups and dips in moderation and so far so good. I hope you can avoid surgery.

Same exact injury?

Mine was tendonosis and bursitis. I didn't have any tears. I elected not to do the cortisone shots as they can impede tendon repair. But it does allow people to exercise the rotator cuff to correct the muscle imbalances that caused the injury in the first place.

Edit - Nm, I just saw your original post that your issue involves the bone. I don't think I had that issue.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Distal clavicle osteolysis is shoulder joint pain at the end of the collarbone that is the result of bone disintegration and damage...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So i might have to get crazy and run PSMF or potentially keto. With the exception of the first 3 lbs, my weight just hasn't wanted to move. With the exception of a few days my compliance has been real good. Still pretty motivated and have seen composition improvements. But i want to get leaner before the summer and its already February.

You said the K word. :noway: :wink:

I was back down to 187.8 today. I've got to stay on track through the weekend. Meet is two weeks from tomorrow, 2.5 lbs to go.

Tell me about it. I am wondering if the increase in fats would improve things. I am generally pretty high carb year round. So thinking running the opposite of what i am doing and following a more strict diet might help. Its possible i might be more low carb than keto. It depends on if i feel like i can give up my daily quest bar.

Saying *kitten* it and going PSMF on Monday. Probably going to run it for 2-3 weeks since i fall in cat 2 with 1 cheat and a 5 hour refeed. Thinking its easier to be compliant for a few weeks, especially with summer coming up. After this cut, i may cycle back to UD2 if i want to get leaner. Since wife is now dieting, it should make this easier a bit too.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Holy carp, so many comments and posts since I last was here and on the forums in general...I am not cutting, cos two national competitions April and May and one is U82 (under 82 kg category) and one is masters unweighed...obviously when I eat more food, I train harder and make the gainz...so 10 lbs up since last competition...sitting around 164 - 167 lbs at the moment...happy, strong and very, very tired...
  • psuLemon
    Ok - I'm officially crossing the line from fluffy to fat. I'm about 215 right now and going to move into maintenance for the next week or two and then like Lemon I'm going to hit my modified PSMF for a couple of months. I'm going to take those two weeks to get my stuff in order - need a hefty supply of Whey and fish oil. I'll need to hit Costco up and buy a ton of tuna. I live on that stuff during my cuts. :(

Updated profile pic to match my more current fluffiness and I've attached a pic of what I look like at the top of a bulk. I think Christmas and the holidays are the reason I've had to stop this one a month or two short - gained more than I wanted during those weeks. I'm annoyed as I was making great progress with some of my more problematic lifts. That 3 plate bench really seems to be my unicorn... :neutral:

I want to drop at least 15 pounds and evaluate from there.

39bh4sg717jy.jpg

Any good tips with PSMF? I know there will be a bit of an adjustment period. But today was rough. Broke down from starving and had a protein bar, well actually 2 lol.

Shooting for some more volume foods tomorrow and bringing a protein bar as backup tomorrow.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    edited February 2019

I just freaked myself out reading this post, googling and wondering if my shoulder problem was the same. Hopefully my physio thinks I'm an idiot when I ask him about this the next time I see him!

Hope your shoulder recovers asap. Injuries are never fun, but I think worst of all when you want to cut.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2019
    Ok - I'm officially crossing the line from fluffy to fat. I'm about 215 right now and going to move into maintenance for the next week or two and then like Lemon I'm going to hit my modified PSMF for a couple of months. I'm going to take those two weeks to get my stuff in order - need a hefty supply of Whey and fish oil. I'll need to hit Costco up and buy a ton of tuna. I live on that stuff during my cuts. :(

Updated profile pic to match my more current fluffiness and I've attached a pic of what I look like at the top of a bulk. I think Christmas and the holidays are the reason I've had to stop this one a month or two short - gained more than I wanted during those weeks. I'm annoyed as I was making great progress with some of my more problematic lifts. That 3 plate bench really seems to be my unicorn... :neutral:

Any good tips with PSMF? I know there will be a bit of an adjustment period. But today was rough. Broke down from starving and had a protein bar, well actually 2 lol.

Shooting for some more volume foods tomorrow and bringing a protein bar as backup tomorrow.

That's a big part of what helps. I tried just using protein shakes once and it was horrible. Huge fluffy egg white omelet with a bit of low carb veggies like asparagus smothered in Frank's is fairly filling. Can of tuna dumped into a low cal/carb/fat soup is something I like too. I don't do an EC stack though - just a LOT of black coffee throughout the day... but some say that the stack really does help curb that hunger. Fish oil too - didn't take enough first time and my joints got nasty and crunchy. Second time I didn't short them and I was fine.

edit: oh, trying to hold out for two larger meals helps me too. I'll still do a protein shake in the morning and a protein bar a few hours later but spreading my meals too thin kind of drove me crazy.
  • psuLemon

That's a big part of what helps. I tried just using protein shakes once and it was horrible. Huge fluffy egg white omelet with a bit of low carb veggies like asparagus smothered in Frank's is fairly filling. Can of tuna dumped into a low cal/carb/fat soup is something I like too. I don't do an EC stack though - just a LOT of black coffee throughout the day... but some say that the stack really does help curb that hunger. Fish oil too - didn't take enough first time and my joints got nasty and crunchy. Second time I didn't short them and I was fine.

edit: oh, trying to hold out for two larger meals helps me too. I'll still do a protein shake in the morning and a protein bar a few hours later but spreading my meals too thin kind of drove me crazy.

Thanks. I was thinking or just a protein bar or shake in the morning and than 2 larger meals.

Hopefully this will go better today. And thanks for the tip on fish oil. I have a big bottle but forget to take it.
  • psuLemon
    So the first two days were pretty rough but by the third day, my body has adjusted to the lack of volume. And while its probably not ideal, i found a large low fat Greek yogurt for breakfast has been super helpful. Something about 10-12oz of yogurt is just super filling. And since i use dannon triple zero, net carbs is pretty low.
  • Two more weeks on my cut, go on a 8 week mini bulk, try and get a little stronger maybe put on a little size. Then start cutting again for summer time
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    183.0!!! Yay! Plenty of room for any weird water fluctuations. Competition tomorrow!

Good luck !!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    183.0!!! Yay! Plenty of room for any weird water fluctuations. Competition tomorrow!

AWESOME!

I am dealing with some bloat ATM. Hopefully it will be gone in a few more days so I can see where I am at. I only had 2 more pounds to go before monthly bloating shot the scale up. I am guessing that my weight loss has significantly slowed down. I am having a hard time going more than 2-3 days without a maintenance day now.
  • psuLemon
    First week was moderately successful. Started at 181.4, finished at 178.1. Not all my days were perfect, but certainly a good start.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited February 2019
    Well back on day shift... So here it goes, serious face on :grimace::lol:

Scale says, as of this morning...
    185.2lbs (⬆️ 6lbs since Oct)
    16.1%

Not bad for 6', but I would love to get back down to 175lbs and maintain the strength gains...