Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Would you eat cricket protein?

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    When I was teaching TKD, my Master invited me to his wedding. Korean wedding. After the wedding, the men all retired to a Korean Bar around the corner. It was very dark and the drinks just kept coming. And they kept bringing these very crunchy snacks. Turned out to be assorted bugs. Crickets included.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    It's actually not that bad - I bought a bag of cricket powder at the grocery store -for the days I don't get enough protein - I sometimes will put in with my cereal -you don't taste it when you mix it with something.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I just rewatched the Top Chef Masters episode where the quickfire competition was bug-based. Cricket was one of the dishes (and far from the most unappealing).
  • Yup
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    I’m envisioning how I scream, when I see a cockroach and so my mind is telling me,,,,,, I WOULD NOT 😱😱😱🤢 Eww
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited December 2018
    I’m now seeing cricket protein everywhere .....I’m surprised more people haven’t chimed in on MFP to say that they have tried it. I saw cricket fuel today. High in vitamin b12. 🤔
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Nope I could not! 🤮
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Not knowingly
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    I'm thinking of keto rice. Stir fried maggots instead of that nasty carby rice.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    I'm thinking of keto rice. Stir fried maggots instead of that nasty carby rice.

You might like Sardinian casu marzu - basically maggot cheese.

• Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    If it’s healthy, ground fine so looks and feels like any other protein powder or “flour”, is easy to use, tastes no worse than alternatives, and is no more expensive, then yes.

Btw we already eat some insects accidentally: all ground products have an allowable % margin of insects built into our food safety standards as it is inevitable that our food supply chain cannot be 100% insect free.

I think we will have more insect options in the future; is potentially a more sustainable form of protein than most our current options.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Sure why not.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    At which point before, during or after the apocalypse?
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I'd give it a try.
  • Nope.

I'm not a shape shifting reptilian.

heres-a-picture-of-amazon-founder-jeff-bezos-eating-a-cockroach.jpg
  • SDR1970
    SDR1970 Posts: 9 Member
    Chapulines (grasshoppers) are quite common here in Mexico and feature heavily in Oaxaca cuisine. They're often served up as a bar snack, dry fried with chilies and peanuts and they're fine in a quesadilla. It's best if you've got a toothpick handy for afterwards, it's embarrassing having spinach stuck in your teeth, insect legs is a whole other level.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    SDR1970 wrote: »
    Chapulines (grasshoppers) are quite common here in Mexico and feature heavily in Oaxaca cuisine. They're often served up as a bar snack, dry fried with chilies and peanuts and they're fine in a quesadilla. It's best if you've got a toothpick handy for afterwards, it's embarrassing having spinach stuck in your teeth, insect legs is a whole other level.

:laugh:

Reminds me of my last dental hygienist appointment. "Oh, you had spinach for lunch!"

The dangers of having an appointment right after lunch :tongue:
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I have eaten cricket. It seemed to taste mostly of the salt seasoning on it.

When vegetarians say they would not for ethical reasons, I wonder what those ethical reasons are.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited February 2019
    I've eaten a few rice stuffed bugs and others while overseas, so I'm not against it at all. But..what I use now is working fine for me..so if any info indicated that cricket protein would work better for me, then absolutely.

edited for grammer correction