Gaining Weight Females Group

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2019
    Hyrdrostatic body fat testing isn't perfect. It has the potential for a significant error rate:

https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-part-2/

I'd also argue that DEXA is more accurate...

"Now, when we start looking at individuals, the error gets significantly higher. The individual error rate can get as high as nearly 5-6%. So let's say you have your body fat tested via underwater weighing, and it comes out to be 20%. However, your true body fat could be as low as 15% or as high as 25%. That is a huge range, and it is impossible to know how good your number really is."

I'm also not sure where you get your numbers for essential body fat levels for women. It doesn't match up to any studies or charts I've ever seen. I think your assertions could also prove potentially dangerous since you never know who lurks these forums and I'd hate to have some young lady thinking that she can maintain 6% body fat for any length of time safely.

Oh, and by your calculation - considering your assumed loss in body fat and increase in overall mass - you've put on more muscle in those two years than most men can. ;)

... and why all the MFP moderator edits on all your initial posts? You trying to sell something?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    jenkae1012 wrote: »
    Some reassurance for you guys.... (or shall I say girls/ladies?!!) It's totally possible to gain weight, mostly in muscle and reduce your body fat at the same time. I know because that's what I did.

I'm 5'4" and 2 years ago I weighed only 118 and had a body fat percentage of 19%. I was working out 2 to 3 times a week, but wasn't tracking my meals, macros, calories etc. I also wasn't really supplementing very well because I didn't have the knowledge.

Now I happily weigh 131 lbs, have only 9% body fat. So I've put on significant lean muscle mass, which I'm very happy with! The differences now from 2 years ago is that I've upped my weight training routine, hitting the weights 5 to 6 times a week, going heavier, training with more intensity, and I'm thoroughly supplementing with all the necessary nutrients, and I'm tracking my macros to ensure I'm taking in enough fats and protein and keeping my carbs down.

[edited by MFP Mods]

essential bodyfat for a woman is 10-13%. a woman who is 'competition ready' is usually around 14/15% and only stays like that for a couple of weeks maximum for a show, so at 9% you should probably be in hospital getting medical support.

Maybe for bikini competitors, the desired body fat should be 14-15%, but for Figure competitors the percentage should be around 6%.

And to correct you, the Essential rating for women in her 30s is 7.3%, and 5.4% in her 20s. The Athletic rating for a woman in her 30s is 13-17% and 10-16% body fat for women in their 20s. Being as low as 9% is completely doable and not dangerous.

Sorry, but wherever you got your info from is incorrect.
  • jenkae1012
    jenkae1012 Posts: 9 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Hyrdrostatic body fat testing isn't perfect. It has the potential for a significant error rate:

https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-part-2/

I'd also argue that DEXA is more accurate...

"Now, when we start looking at individuals, the error gets significantly higher. The individual error rate can get as high as nearly 5-6%. So let's say you have your body fat tested via underwater weighing, and it comes out to be 20%. However, your true body fat could be as low as 15% or as high as 25%. That is a huge range, and it is impossible to know how good your number really is."

I'm also not sure where you get your numbers for essential body fat levels for women. It doesn't match up to any studies or charts I've ever seen. I think your assertions could also prove potentially dangerous since you never know who lurks these forums and I'd hate to have some young lady thinking that she can maintain 6% body fat for any length of time safely.

Oh, and by your calculation - considering your assumed loss in body fat and increase in overall mass - you've put on more muscle in those two years than most men can. ;)

... and why all the MFP moderator edits on all your initial posts? You trying to sell something?

Haha, the moderator edits was due to me saying that if anyone has any questions, they can DM me and I gave out my Instagram. Didn't know you can't do that.
  • jenkae1012
    Some reassurance for you guys.... (or shall I say girls/ladies?!!) It's totally possible to gain weight, mostly in muscle and reduce your body fat at the same time. I know because that's what I did.

I'm 5'4" and 2 years ago I weighed only 118 and had a body fat percentage of 19%. I was working out 2 to 3 times a week, but wasn't tracking my meals, macros, calories etc. I also wasn't really supplementing very well because I didn't have the knowledge.

Now I happily weigh 131 lbs, have only 9% body fat. So I've put on significant lean muscle mass, which I'm very happy with! The differences now from 2 years ago is that I've upped my weight training routine, hitting the weights 5 to 6 times a week, going heavier, training with more intensity, and I'm thoroughly supplementing with all the necessary nutrients, and I'm tracking my macros to ensure I'm taking in enough fats and protein and keeping my carbs down.

[edited by MFP Mods]

essential bodyfat for a woman is 10-13%. a woman who is 'competition ready' is usually around 14/15% and only stays like that for a couple of weeks maximum for a show, so at 9% you should probably be in hospital getting medical support.

Maybe for bikini competitors, the desired body fat should be 14-15%, but for Figure competitors the percentage should be around 6%.

And to correct you, the Essential rating for women in her 30s is 7.3%, and 5.4% in her 20s. The Athletic rating for a woman in her 30s is 13-17% and 10-16% body fat for women in their 20s. Being as low as 9% is completely doable and not dangerous.

Sorry, but wherever you got your info from is incorrect.

Hmmm, I got my info from the Hydrostatic body fat testing company. It was on their print out.
  • jenkae1012
    sardelsa wrote: »

[edited by MFP Mods]

Yeah...this doesn't sound very likely at all. While it is possible that you did gain some lean muscle mass, I find it hard to believe those %s. 19% is already quite lean for a woman, so most wouldn't aim to recomp at that point, usually bulk, which would also add fat, and then cut.

I just got my body fat tested via Hydrostatic method, which is the most accurate way to get your body fat percentage tested, and its indeed 9.9% . I was surprised too!

Do you have a photo ? 9% is very striated and ripped, like figure or physique competitors stepping on stage lean. To give you an idea
    vd30r4zavv91.jpg

Thanks for the photo. I do have a picture, not sure how to attach it though. I'm actually going to be competing as Figure this spring for the first time. I still have to tighten up a bit. I'm not as tight as the competitor on the far left showing 10% body fat, but if my Hydrostatic test results are accurate, I should be looking just like that.... minus the tan! 😛
  • preciousleks
    preciousleks Posts: 213 Member
    Hi gals how is the weight gain going for you all?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I gained about a lb each in November, Dec, then 1.5lb in January and kind of leveled off so far for Feb. I did however have a high weigh in this morning. I'll have to watch my trends a little longer to see how this month ends up. I'm thinking of continuing until spring break or end of March, then maintenance or slight cut. My trend right now is just slightly under 118. The weight on the bar has increased, so that's also good.
  • Annabelr1313
    Annabelr1313 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello! I hope this post is still active. I'm 25 soon to be 26. I am 5'5 and am underweight at 109lbs! My goal is to be at least 120lbs. So far I've gotten my first week down .. eating almost the right amount of calories each day ...it's really hard for me to eat food while at work, as we don't really get a break and I have to kind of graze. Anyone go thru that or have tips that I can't think of?
  • Annabelr1313
    Also, any success stories about gaining is much appreciated!!! I feel like I am not going to win, as I have tried many times to do so before. But I've never tracked my calories, and I definitely think I wasn't eating enough calorie dense foods before!
  • AthenaBosi
    AthenaBosi Posts: 27 Member
    Hello! I hope this post is still active. I'm 25 soon to be 26. I am 5'5 and am underweight at 109lbs! My goal is to be at least 120lbs. So far I've gotten my first week down .. eating almost the right amount of calories each day ...it's really hard for me to eat food while at work, as we don't really get a break and I have to kind of graze. Anyone go thru that or have tips that I can't think of?

Can you put a snack in your pocket somehow? Lol Maybe make a trailmix of granola and nuts in a bag and snack on it through out the work day. Granola bars. Maybe some pre-made drinks or smoothies you can carry around.
  • AthenaBosi
    AthenaBosi Posts: 27 Member
    Also, any success stories about gaining is much appreciated!!! I feel like I am not going to win, as I have tried many times to do so before. But I've never tracked my calories, and I definitely think I wasn't eating enough calorie dense foods before!

I'm still working on my goal, but I was the same way. Tracking my calories was a game changer. Definitely give it a shot. Consistency is key! You got this :)
  • preciousleks

Gained 4kgs in 6 months
  • Annabelr1313
    Thanks ladies!! I'm putting snacks in my pockets and taking a smoothie with me. Right now I'm just counting calories because I'm underweight... hopefully in time I'll figure out how to not eat so much unhealthy things. Sorry it took me a little to respond, I still haven't figured out how this site works. Lol
  • preciousleks
    edited February 2019
    Thanks ladies!! I'm putting snacks in my pockets and taking a smoothie with me. Right now I'm just counting calories because I'm underweight... hopefully in time I'll figure out how to not eat so much unhealthy things. Sorry it took me a little to respond, I still haven't figured out how this site works. Lol

Great you were helped. Just eat and you will gain the weight
  • Laquantat28
    Laquantat28 Posts: 2 Member
    Hey, I’m 5’2 and 123 lbs . I been trying to gain weight. I’m barely making any progress. Went from 120-123. I drink protein shakes everyday and 3 meals. I do a good 2100 calories a day normally. But idk what else to do. My goal is 135. If anyone have any advice that would be great.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Hey, I’m 5’2 and 123 lbs . I been trying to gain weight. I’m barely making any progress. Went from 120-123. I drink protein shakes everyday and 3 meals. I do a good 2100 calories a day normally. But idk what else to do. My goal is 135. If anyone have any advice that would be great.

You obviously need more than 2100 calories. I need around 2300 just to maintain.
    Are you weighing and logging your food accurately and also logging your exercise?
  • preciousleks

You obviously need more than 2100 calories. I need around 2300 just to maintain.
    Are you weighing and logging your food accurately and also logging your exercise?

I am gaining by eating 2,200 calories.
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member

I am gaining by eating 2,200 calories.

I think that she said because if this girl is making progress with what she's eating, then she obviously needs to eat more. Not like some kind of contest
  • Laquantat28
    Laquantat28 Posts: 2 Member

Yes I’m logging my stuff accurately. I pretty much scan everything. It’s obvious that I need more calories that’s why I asked for advice (i.e type of food, workout etc). I said usually 2100 but it’s between 2100-2300 depending on what I eat.

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited March 2019

Yes I’m logging my stuff accurately. I pretty much scan everything. It’s obvious that I need more calories that’s why I asked for advice (i.e type of food, workout etc). I said usually 2100 but it’s between 2100-2300 depending on what I eat.

Scanning everything doesn't mean your logging is accurate, just so you know. All of the barcode entries are user created and can have errors. The most accurate way to log is to weigh your food and check entries against the nutritional information or usda database. Are you doing that? If you're not weighing your food I'd start there before increasing calories. You may find that you're not eating as much as you think. If you are weighing your food then increase your intake by 100-200 calories a day and see what happens over the course of a few weeks.

How long have you been trying to gain weight? If its only been a couple of months then 3 pounds is good. Are you following a lifting program as well? If so, then you dont want to gain too quickly or else your gains will be more fat than they are muscle and you have no control over where the fat goes.