Experienced sharp pain midway warmup squats

I did my typical warmup routine for leg day with the front and side kicks with straight knee and then pre exhausted my quads like normal on the leg extension machine and then proceeded to squats like normal. However, on my I think 3rd warmup set, as soon as i unracked the bar I THINK I locked my right knee or both but for some reason my right knee join the front especially the inner hurt and so I left the squat area to try leg pres but even leg presses light weighr hurt after and I just couldnt go on more because of fear of injury.

Is this an injury? Is this just muscle ache?
This happened suddenly midway thru the warmup set so I'm worried it's an injury.
Any remedies? Someone said try squatting with knee wraps after letting it heal with some ice and ibuprofein

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Ibuprofen is good for pain and swelling. See a doctor if it does not improve.
  • thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member
    Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Ibuprofen is good for pain and swelling. See a doctor if it does not improve.

Compression and elevation? And rest as in rest from hitting legs or rest as in rest from working out in general (upper body and lower body that doesnt use knee or leg pressing movement)
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member

Compression and elevation? And rest as in rest from hitting legs or rest as in rest from working out in general (upper body and lower body that doesnt use knee or leg pressing movement)

Rest as in put as little weight on it as possible for 24-48 hours. Upper body work should be fine, but I'd sit in a bench while doing it rather than standing. Some food for thought for once it gets better... knee injuries when lifting are hardly ever caused by the knees themselves. I've only ever known locking out on a squat to be an issue if you're hypermobile, and I doubt doing it one time on a warm up set would cause injury. When you're able to work lower body again pay particular attention to hips/ankles/feet when squatting, as inner knee pain is generally associated with an issue in one of those areas.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2019
    A few things.

1. I question why you would warm up for squats with movements other than a squat. Leg extensions are not only suboptimal and on the lower rung of useful lifts on the ladder, but tend to aggrivate knee pain in most people. Of course this could be poor load management, though worth noting. The best warm up for a squat is a squat.

2. Knee wraps isn't a good idea for several reasons. Neoprene knee sleeves might help with keeping the area warm and more comfortable.

3. Nobody can diagnosis an injury over the internet. It's highly unlikely, but I would try lowering the weight and different foot positions and/or ROM at a weight that feels challenging but comfortable. If the pain dissipates in warm up of squats, you are moving in the right direction.

4. I wouldn't advice ice unless you have a full belly muscle tear(which you would know). It hampers blood flow and slows the healing process.

5. Keep in mind these things almost always remedy themselves in a couple weeks. Practice good load management while training and monitor if things are getting better or worse and make adjustments. Training is more beneficial than not, so if you can find something great.
  • seniornugget
    seniornugget Posts: 10 Member
    Good advice above. I squat heavy and often and use compression sleeves and wraps depending on the weight. I would add a word of caution if you decide to start using wraps- make sure you learn how to properly wrap. Improper wraps will put the patella in a bad spot and create much pain and discomfort, even damage, depending on the tightness of the wrap and the amount of weight you are squatting.
    My knees are shot. I use sleeves majority of the time until I'm up around 80% of 1 Rep Max. Then I vary the tightness of the wrap until I get really heavy. Do your set then unwrap. These are typically 5 or less rep sets.
    Ditch the leg extensions.
    Sometimes tweaks happen. Heal up, then ease back in.
  • thelostbreed02
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    A few things.

1. I question why you would warm up for squats with movements other than a squat. Leg extensions are not only suboptimal and on the lower rung of useful lifts on the ladder, but tend to aggrivate knee pain in most people. Of course this could be poor load management, though worth noting. The best warm up for a squat is a squat.

2. Knee wraps isn't a good idea for several reasons. Neoprene knee sleeves might help with keeping the area warm and more comfortable.

3. Nobody can diagnosis an injury over the internet. It's highly unlikely, but I would try lowering the weight and different foot positions and/or ROM at a weight that feels challenging but comfortable. If the pain dissipates in warm up of squats, you are moving in the right direction.

4. I wouldn't advice ice unless you have a full belly muscle tear(which you would know). It hampers blood flow and slows the healing process.

5. Keep in mind these things almost always remedy themselves in a couple weeks. Practice good load management while training and monitor if things are getting better or worse and make adjustments. Training is more beneficial than not, so if you can find something great.

For #1 to pre exhaust quads so squat is quad dominant. Pre exhaustion is a common bodybuilding technique
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    A few things.

For #1 to pre exhaust quads so squat is quad dominant. Pre exhaustion is a common bodybuilding technique

Are you a bodybuilder?
  • thelostbreed02
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    A few things.

Are you a bodybuilder?

Attempting to be
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    You should ice, rest, ibuprofen and see doctor. before going back to any leg workout. could be patella tendon if it feels tender just below the kneecap. but see doctor
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    A few things.

Are you a bodybuilder?

Attempting to be

Cool! After I experienced knee pain during a session I've had good experience getting rid of that pain by waiting, and foam rolling out the surrounding muscles.

To stop the pain from returning, I've had good experience playing around to find the right stance for me. I squat with my feet about shoulder width apart these days, which is wider than when I started squatting but works well for me.

I find that it's a trial and error process to find out what causes pain when you squat, and how to stop it.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    A few things.

Are you a bodybuilder?

Attempting to be

Then listen to Chief who posted, you are way off son.