Advice on Cravings

I’ve always been really uncomfortable with the way I look and I want to lose weight. Unfortunately, I’ve been really stressed out from school lately and I seem to keep getting cravings and indulging in food! I’ve lost 10lbs so far, but this new found obstacle is becoming quite the challenge. How do you guys handle cravings and stress? Also, do you have any general tips for losing the last bit of weight? Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    I follow a whole food plant-based diet- no meat, fish, eggs. Once I commit to removing dairy and processed food, all cravings disappear and I never feel deprived.
  • Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    I am fairly new with reducing cals and counting macros but honestly coke zero has been saving my life on hard days when I have cravings!!!!
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Stress .. I walk or excercise
    Cravings/hungry. I find something healtier alternative.. ie.. instead of junk food.. fruits or protein bar.
    If I over eat..I walk and burn it off.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    First make sure your deficit isn't too high. If you want to make treats fit in your calories you can, or you can make lower calorie versions of your favourite foods. Skinnytaste.com is great for recipes.

Also, for the last few lbs, patience is key. Some people find they have to be more tight with their logging. Water weight can also mask progress so keep that in mind.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Sydney1452 wrote: »
    I’ve always been really uncomfortable with the way I look and I want to lose weight. Unfortunately, I’ve been really stressed out from school lately and I seem to keep getting cravings and indulging in food! I’ve lost 10lbs so far, but this new found obstacle is becoming quite the challenge. How do you guys handle cravings and stress? Also, do you have any general tips for losing the last bit of weight? Any advice is appreciated!

I use to go for a day or hours of running and walking or biking up mountains, in rivers, in to bush and city around beaches It was fun it was such a challenge i for got about any stress but this is what i enjoyed. I now have knee injuries.
    But what i try and do now is go pools and use the floats and meditation. There are meditation classes you can do as well as that hang yoga in fact i will recommend adding one day per week of this in your exercise routine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    If it's 15lbs or less to lose, set your loss rate to 0.5lb/week, weigh everything you eat and be accurate and precise as hell. And be patient, because it will come off slowly.

As for cravings, I find my cravings usually go down when I'm getting enough protein. Otherwise I just find a way to fit them into my day, or eat at maintenance for the day.

Another vote for having a suitable deficit as well as making sure you are hitting your protein target, and exercise for managing stress.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Is your profile pic current? If so, you're already very lean. I find the closer/farther into the normal weight range I get, the more often I need to take a maintenance break due to always being hungry at a deficit (even a small one).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Lots of good suggestions, but wanting to underscore that meditation can be a help, especially if you're mostly rushy-busy. Simple, non-religious meditations like Relaxation Response (http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/) can be done in short intervals of otherwise not-so-useful time, and sort of counter the "fight or flight" stress hormones that tend to build up when things are busy.

(Of course, if you're a religious person, appropriate prayerful/meditative moments are equally good - I mention Relaxation Response because way too many people think meditation is inherently some mystical arcane religious thing, when it's actually just techniques for consciously relaxing mind and body.)

There are also meditation apps for your phone that a lot of people like, but those who use them would have to recommend specifics. I keep it simpler.

When things are super-busy, even doing 5-10 slow, deep breaths, while conciously relaxing your muscles, can be a help, and can be done in spare moments like waiting in line, waiting for a class to start, riding the bus, walking (eyes open! ;) ), etc.

Exercise is even better, but this sort of thing fits into spare otherwise-unused moments really well.

Best wishes!