Newbie:) goal: lose 50lbs

Options
Hey, everybody, I'm Oksana, I'm new to MFP, looking for new friends and inspiration😉
I moved to South Texas a couple of years ago and gained a bunch of weight🤷‍♂️
So I'm basicly trying to get back to my baseline, I'm 25y.o., 5'7" tall, 193lbs as of today and hope to get back to 140-145lbs.
Not following any specific diet, just trying to decrease my calories and carb intake. But open to any advice you guys have!
Also love working out, working on my strength and flexebility.
How do you guys keep the motivation every day?

Replies

• shellicatrevino
    shellicatrevino Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I wish I had a little more height! I'm close to your weight at 5 ft. Anyhow being intentional about everything you eat and drink is the key for me. As for staying motivated, I need to see results. This time around I'm really trying not to cheat. Also, I'm trying to understand my relationship with food. It's a stress reaction for sure so when I get stressed my plan is to walk. Good luck!
  • MaliarOksana
    MaliarOksana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That's a good strategy there, to walk when stressed out. I think my mini goal is going to be to get better about tracking everything I eat, I always forget to do that!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 lbs since Oct 1 just counting calories. Different strokes for different folks, but this works for me. Like someone said, 80% of weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym. But exercise is still vitally important, for many reasons. My favorite exercise is walking briskly. It shaves a few calories off, which is good, but even better I find that it suppresses my appetite and evens out my insulin response to food... or it least that is what it feels like to me. Whatever it is doing, though, I certainly have fewer food cravings on days when I walk a lot.

Good luck in finding your way through this.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    As far as motivation, that is very important, and very personal. For me it involved a love one living with and then dying from a chronic disease. I became very motivated to take better care of myself from witnessing that.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    That's a good strategy there, to walk when stressed out. I think my mini goal is going to be to get better about tracking everything I eat, I always forget to do that!

This will be the key to your success. Have you purchased a food scale yet? If not, it's the best 20 bucks you'll ever spend. ;)
  • MaliarOksana
    Options

This will be the key to your success. Have you purchased a food scale yet? If not, it's the best 20 bucks you'll ever spend. ;)

Yes, I have one, just really need to get in the habit of doing so..
  • gonnagetfitnow2014
    Options
    Good morning. I am trying to figure out how to ramp up my progress. I have been faithfully weighing, measuring, and charting everything (except I did miss a few times) since January 1st. I have only lost 10 pounds and 4 inches since January 22nd. I still have about 20 more pounds that I want to lose. I workout 2 hours a day 5-6 days a week. One hour cardio and one hour weights. I am also on my feet almost all day. Any advice? Have a great day.
  • CMM7249
    CMM7249 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey Waz Up?! I'm not the best at logging what I eat either! Actually I just started a new MyFitness Account Today! I'm in the same boat as you (trying to get back to my weight before I moved). I am about to friend you right after I finish this comment and maybe we can motivate each other!
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also looking lo lose about 50 pounds I am 5'10" and 208 pounds as of today but I am trying to get down to 160 pounds. For me I stay motivated by setting small short term goals. If I just look at needing to lose 50 pounds in 6 months or so that's too far off and doesn't feel attainable. So I set small goals that's easier to focus on. For example I want to be under 200 pounds by the end of march.
  • MaliarOksana
    Options
    Good morning. I am trying to figure out how to ramp up my progress. I have been faithfully weighing, measuring, and charting everything (except I did miss a few times) since January 1st. I have only lost 10 pounds and 4 inches since January 22nd. I still have about 20 more pounds that I want to lose. I workout 2 hours a day 5-6 days a week. One hour cardio and one hour weights. I am also on my feet almost all day. Any advice? Have a great day.

Wow, that's a lot of exercise, I only manage to fit in an hour every workday before work and I have to wake up at 4am for that:)
    I wish I had more time.
    And 10lbs is a lot for such a short term, keep up the good work!
  • MaliarOksana
    Options
    Hi! I am also looking lo lose about 50 pounds I am 5'10" and 208 pounds as of today but I am trying to get down to 160 pounds. For me I stay motivated by setting small short term goals. If I just look at needing to lose 50 pounds in 6 months or so that's too far off and doesn't feel attainable. So I set small goals that's easier to focus on. For example I want to be under 200 pounds by the end of march.

Sounds great, I guess setting baby goal would help me, like for a week or so, so I could see result right away!