Workout Plans

I am all over the place with workouts. Some days I run, some days I'll do hiit, some days weights and core, walking -I really do it all. It's worked just fine for me but I'm interested in actually building more muscle and I'm curious about following an actual plan (I also want to avoid over use/ injuries as well). Does anyone know a credible source to turn to? Are there any online that are good or a good starting place? Also, what do some of your plans look like?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2019
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

I'm a runner, training for a half marathon. I run 4 x a week, strength train 2 x a week, cross train 1-2 x a week and have 1-2 rest days.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Definitely check out that link above.

I ran Strong Curves and similar programming during my bulk cycles to build muscle and I really enjoyed it. It also depends on your goals.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I really like stronglifts 5x5. Probably one of the simplest programs to follow. You can do your running/hit or other cardio on non -lifting days
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Find not only what you like/enjoy, but also what your body tolerates well. My workout routines have changed dramatically over the years.

I started losing around 10 years ago (from a high of around 250). I started, because I was recovering from a bad knee injury, just walking. Then walking became Stationary Biking, that later became Spinning. At that point I incorporated weight training (machines). Later, I got into even jogging, then trail running and heavier free weights.

I'm not mostly doing indoor rowing with body weight exercises and mid weight dumbells/kettlebells.

Find what you think, "hey, I can do this" and begin there. Gradually build up. If you're getting bored, try something different. I found I'm more competitive than I thought (thus the trail racing and now indoor rowing races). Training for races gets me going.

Find what motivates you and then just be consistent but add in volume very incrementally.