Bras after Massive Weight Loss

124»

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Yeah, body type and how your breasts are placed/sit (and how your breast tissue is distributed) will for sure affect how well a bra will work for someone! The irony of you posting that the Freya's didn't work for you is that I've tried Panache, and they just look TERRIBLE on me and don't work at all. :p

It's taken me a lot of trial and error to learn that Freyas pretty much are the brand that works best for me. Sounds like you know that about Ewa Michalak for you!

I know, right? I love the Panache for sports bras, they flatter me so well compared to the Freya. I wish I could try more Polish bras without actually traveling to Poland or ordering them from overseas.

Making my own bras is on my long term sewing to-do list. I feel I'd be as successful with it as I am with making shoes, and cheaper than buying imported bras.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    YAY Glad you found something that works well!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Fantastic! So glad you found something you're happy with.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Congratulations on finding something well-fitting! I must clearly try harder with my own search :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    I buy my bras in a MATERNITY SHOP and they are breastfeeding bras - but o do they fit nicely with the highest lever of support=- im 59 and not pregnant or breastfeeding.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Nothing beats having a professional fitting. That way you will find a brand that suits you. It is worth paying a little extra for a bra that is a good if and is comfortable.
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    MissyCHF wrote: »
    Nothing beats having a professional fitting. That way you will find a brand that suits you. It is worth paying a little extra for a bra that is a good if and is comfortable.

After trying on literally at least a hundred bras, I have to disagree that this is always the case, because the cups that worked best for me ranged from Bs to DDs depending on brand and style. Pancakes fold differently according to so many variables.

I’m sure ladies with boob-shaped breasts would get more consistent results and a fitting would do them good, but for ones like me, can’t see how it would have helped.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    I was a 34H at my heaviest and now down to 30FF

Check out the Facebook group Boob or Bust for best bra fitting. They also have an online calculator: https://booborbust.com/

Boob or Bust is the best ever! :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    sgriska wrote: »
    MissyCHF wrote: »

After trying on literally at least a hundred bras, I have to disagree that this is always the case, because the cups that worked best for me ranged from Bs to DDs depending on brand and style. Pancakes fold differently according to so many variables.

I’m sure ladies with boob-shaped breasts would get more consistent results and a fitting would do them good, but for ones like me, can’t see how it would have helped.

And even with pancakes, it depends how much breast tissue is in the pancakes and how much loose skin is in them. It really is just trial and error. I've had much better success on my own too.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I had good fittings and poor ones. If it's a poor one I know right away because the seller does not listen to my concerns (breast swims in cup, band chavs on ribs). I decided to have a look in a lingerie store today, grabbed something that seemed ok, and a woman immediately helped me find the right bra. I ended up buying two of them as even with smaller breasts (Euro 70D in this shop apparently) it's not easy.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Q: As part of your weight loss journey did you consistently do strength training / weights? I am trying to determine if there is a connection between these and excess skin.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    I strength trained throughout my weight loss. Still have lots of loose skin.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    It is so impressive you've lost that weight! I second the sports bra. Give yourself some time. My breasts reshaped themselves over six months and I had nothing like the weight loss you did. Congratulations!
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    Q: As part of your weight loss journey did you consistently do strength training / weights? I am trying to determine if there is a connection between these and excess skin.
    I didn’t, but from what I gather on these forums and elsewhere, while strength training may help you fill out your loose skin a bit with muscle, it doesn’t actually change whether you have it nor how much (which is largely a function of age, length of time you were fat, and genetics). Frankly, if I had muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger, I’m pretty sure my boobs would still be just as deflated as they are.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I strength trained throughout my weight loss. I am not sure how that’s meant to affect my boobs, though, as I’m pretty sure I don’t lift the bar with them.
  • queenoscots
    queenoscots Posts: 44 Member
    I was a 34H at my heaviest and now down to 30FF

Check out the Facebook group Boob or Bust for best bra fitting. They also have an online calculator: https://booborbust.com/

Unfortunately, it’s suggesting a DD, and I’ve already seen by trying things on that even a C cup is massively too big. I seem to be in some weird twilight zone where Bs are too tiny and Cs are as vast as the sea.

Apparently JC Penney does bra fitting. I’ll give them a try and see what they say.

The trick to a good fitting bra is really to find your band size first and it might be smaller than you’d think. Have you tried Boob or bust measuring? What size does it suggest?

Yes, as I said above, it’s suggesting a 34 DD. That said, when trying on bras yesterday I did not try bending over to get all the tissue in the cup, I was standing up and trying to arrange it “by hand”. Will try the bending over today when I go.

Yes, if you have tissue spill out the armpits and the bottom of the cups, your cup is too small.

If it's spilling out the bottom of the cups, your band is too big if it allows this. Try at 32 DD or DDD.

I'd also suggest https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/. They have a good calculator on there.

But C cups are HUGE on me. I don’t see how Ds much less DDs are going to be an improvement.

I just wanted to say I get it, and I feel for you. My breasts are much smaller and saggier now than before my 140 lb. weight loss, and no matter what the measurements say, I simply cannot wear anything with a molded cup, period. My breasts don't conform to the shape of the molded cup. I swim in them. Specifically, my breasts puddle to the bottom of the cup leaving the top to gap in an awkward and unattractive way. I've tried to push them upward with latex cup filllers shoved into the bottom of the cups, but the difference is minimal.

Sports bras are better, for days when I'm exercising or going casual. But while they hold my breasts in, they tend to flatten me even more. And that style just doesn't suit me when I'm trying to look more formal or dressed up.

I've found what works best for me is an underwire bra WITHOUT a molded cup--preferably a stretch cup--and those are rare as hen's teeth. One brand that carries that style is Curvation. They are not expensive, and can be found in places like Target or online. Another option is Comfort Choice, also found online.

My poor breasts have been through plenty: pregnancies, nursing, yo yo dieting, massive weight gain, aging, and now extreme weight loss. They deserve a nice bra at this stage in their lives, but that's easier said than done.

Congratulations on your weight loss, and good luck to you!

• queenoscots
    queenoscots Posts: 44 Member
    Strength training has minimal effect on a considerable amount of loose skin. It tightens and shapes the underlying muscle, which is a good thing. No one is doubting that. But strength training really doesn't cause those extra folds of skin to shrink up, especially if you're a mature person, if you've repeatedly gained and lost weight over the years and compromised your skin's ability to return to its original shape, if you've been pregnant, or if the weight you've lost is massive. Surgery is in my future, so I'm researching and saving now.