Cardio vs weights

Options
I'm currently 220 and trying to get to 180, I'm a guy so most of my weight is in my belly. I have been doing cardio for the last month and dropped 11 lbs. I know that I eventually want to start lifting heavy but my question is when do I transition from cardio to lifting and building muscle because the nutrition is completely different.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do both
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    As a matter of general fitness, it's not really a vs. kind of thing...both are pretty important. Not sure what you mean by the nutrition is completely different though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now but carry on with the cardio too, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Nutrition is only "completely different" if you either choose it to be or you are doing fairly extreme endurance cardio when of course the calories needs are far larger.

Perhaps you should expand a bit on what you believe the differences are?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Start lifting yesterday
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    you should've lifted today. and the only thing that changed in my diet was i upped my protein a bit. and i'm not even sure why. get out from in front of your computer and go lift.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Start lifting a month ago. Save every bit of muscle you have (by using it). Keep doing cardio because your heart is also a muscle.

What do you mean by completely different? Like higher calories for bulking? Or just higher protein? Or a bunch of random supplements? Or minutia about when to eat and recovery shakes and things?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If you are just starting lifting, then, no, the nutrition is not “completely different”. Don’t overthink this. You are not an elite athlete (yet ;-). You don’t have to box yourself in trying to emulate one. If you do quality work and stay consistent, you will see results. You are not going to “build muscle” in a serious way at first anyhow. Just start lifting and work it out as you go along. In this case, “perfection” is an obstacle, not a help.

Oh, and keep doing some cardio too.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    The nutrition isn't completely different though. Or at all, really, at least not until you're much, much more advanced. There doesn't need to be a transition. Just go do it.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any comments just yet but I like to combine lifting and cardio. I'm a woman so I know our body's work differently but I wouldn't transition. I'd add.

Or if you're bored with the elliptical/treadmill I'd try some HIIT/Crossfit. It's WAY more intense than you realize and will cover both cardio AND weights! :)

Crossfit is so lovely. I love doing it!