Lower back issues

Hi I'm starting over again I'm 313 female and 48 yrs old I starting excercising but all my weight is in my stomach and it really pulls on my lower back when I do cardio any suggestions???

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited February 2019
    Start slow and work up. When walking I used to get horrible back aches. Finally I started out with like 15 minute walks and over time built it up. Now I can walk an hour or more without being in pain.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Try to mindful of how you carry your body when you walk. Pull in your ab muscles and try not to let your pelvis tilt forward. Sometimes our posture is our own worst enemy!
    Go slow and don't give it. It will get easier!!
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    edited February 2019
    I have back issues and my doctor recommended a recumbent bike or seated cardio until I build up more strength/lose weight. If you can ask your doctor if these may work for you. I also walk and try to build up my endurance. Oh and of course the pool can be very helpful for those with back issues.
  • Vegas_Mick
    Vegas_Mick Posts: 3 Member
    After a lifetime of back pain, I finally got x-rays and an MRI last year (bulging discs, it turns out), followed by a visit to a physical therapist.

The PT basically gave me some yoga exercises to do, so now I just do yoga a few times per week. It's helped A LOT.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Start slow and work up. When walking I used to get horrible back aches. Finally I started out with like 15 minute walks and over time built it up. Now I can walk an hour or more without being in pain.

This ^ is just so true. Be patient. It will take time. Start slow and short and let it build up organically. I always want to be ambitious. But you are making changes for a lifetime -- or trying anyway. So keep things comfortable.
    When I started running, I went around my apartment building. Once. That's all. Over time, I started going twice. Then I went down the block and back. It actually did not take long. In about 2 months, I was running over a mile.
    Now? I go on 6-8 miles runs about five days a week.
    And I got there without ever pushing too hard and/or making myself uncomfortable or miserable.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Seated bike!!!
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Stretch lower back, crunches to help strengthen opposite muscle group, and water cardio if you have a pool available. I have bad lower/mid back problems from the service, and daily stretching (esp in the morning b4 getting up) has helped a lot. I also do inversion table to help decompress disks, but for you I would suggest just normal lower back stretching at first - then move into inversion with chiropractor/doctor recommendation.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Hand pedal machine!!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Strength training has many benefits, and would help this issue in most cases.
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 338 Member
    I have Arthritis in my lower back, and I went to physical therapy. The exercises they sent me home with to do help immensely. Losing weight and staying active also helped. I find too that if I wear compression pants, either Nike or I hear Underarmor make them, or just tight fitting workout pants, they may be tough to get on, but they really hold you together, and I find the less jiggling my stomach does, the less it effects my back.
    Also, FYI I am 35 and at this time 328 lbs.
    My current fitness routine is strength training regularly, kickboxing (very aerobic, and tons of movement), and some treadmill cardio one my strength days. And abs, lots of abs.
  • glasscast
    glasscast Posts: 16 Member
    i'd recommend swimming if you're in a lot of pain. it's a full body workout, but extremely gentle on your joints and back, as the water helps support your weight.