1000 Calories a Day

Hi! I’ve been eating 1000 calories a day since January 1st, trying to stay under 100 carbs. This process has really worked to lose fat and I am feeling goooood. I go to the gym and mainly lift 5 times a week and am very active. I know 1000 calories is not much, so please don’t yell at me haha... I was just trying to lose weight. My question is though, will I gain weight if I set my calories to 2000 now? And how do I do that, do I do it all in one day or gradually increase my calorie intake? I don’t want to gain weight again, I wanted to maintain what I am right now. And if you’re wondering I’m 5’8 and 130 pounds.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    No, you won't gain weight. Your BMR is (assuming you're a female and in your early 20's) 1435ish. Eat
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Yes you may see a temporary weight gain if you increase your calories to 2000. This is due to an increase in food volume and if you increase carbs, you will hold onto water. However, it will taper off in time. I wouldn't increase your calories by 1000 right away though; it's best to increase your calories by 150 to 200 every week or so until you hit your maintenance levels.

The good news is that, unless you use a food scale to weigh everything, you're 99.9% likely to actually be eating more than 1000 calories right now. To be able to lift five days per week and be very active on that amount for so long is highly improbable. It's also dangerous but you already know that. I'd say increase your current intake by 200 calories for a week and let your body do it's thing, then increase again. You'll eventually hit a point of maintenance.
    I agree with the above. 1000 calories a day is very low and not recommended which you already know. Doubling your intake will result in an increase in weight just due to food volume in your system as she says. I also think increasing slowly is the way to go.
  • hypocacculus
    hypocacculus Posts: 68 Member
    I agree with Maxematics; unless you are diligently weighing everything, you probably are eating more than you think. As for 2000 calories, the only way to find out for certain is to do it and a gradual increase might be the way to go. You are almost certain to gain a pound or two of non-fat weight, but that should level off.
  • jessiel142
    jessiel142 Posts: 2 Member
    Would 1500 calories be enough? I can’t see myself eating 2000 calories a day, that just seems like a lot.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Use MFP's guided setup here to get its recommended calorie goal.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Go to "My Home'
    "Goals"
    at top you'll see "View Guided Setup"
    Select your activity level and "Maintain my current weight"

It will give you a target. Try it for 2-3 weeks and see how it goes.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    With your height and weight your BMI is only 5 pounds above the underweight category. Please be careful with how you take care of yourself, the body you have is the only one you'll ever get. 1000 calories at your activity level is not enough calories and nutrition to sustain yourself if you were in a coma, let alone be as active as you are. A toddle needs more than that.

Please reconsider your approach. Reading the "Most Helpful Posts" at the top of this forum can give you good information and help you correct what seems to be unhealthy behavior.

Good luck!