Binges?

How many times a month/week do you binge and what do you consider a binge? For me a binge is over 2,000cal and I binge around 1-2 times a week. I'm trying to cut down on the binges though, and limit them to 1-2 a month.

Replies

• bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    For me a Binge is when I’m not hungry and I start eating (whatever) thinking but not caring, not stopping for a few hours until my stomach hurts and obviously losing track of cals consumed...
    This happens to me 1-3 times a week, disorder? Nah Bad habit IMHO :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    How many times a month/week do you binge and what do you consider a binge? For me a binge is over 2,000cal and I binge around 1-2 times a week. I'm trying to cut down on the binges though, and limit them to 1-2 a month.

Obviously I don't know if this is relevant to you, but for binges that happen because one is under-eating like this, there is a simple solution:

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I describe my binges eating at least one, usually 2 big loaves of bread. And whatever goes onto and into the bread totaling over 3.000 calories for that meal. Since I have realized that bread is my trigger food, I just don't have any of it at home. A bread basket in a restaurant is still a big problem for me. I do eat other carbs and stay within the MFP calculated daily calories.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member

Eating 2000 calories is the average calorie intake at maintenance for a woman. Not sure why you would class this as a binge?

Maybe it was meant as "in one sitting?" I don't know. I could do that, but don't thankfully.

I may fall face first into a box of cereal, but I usually stop after two bowls...
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    To me, a binge is when I'm sitting on the floor eating food I don't want to eat, begging my body to stop because I'm so full that I'm fantasizing about cutting myself open to relieve the pressure, but I can't stop and it feels like someone has taken control of my body and I'm just watching it happen, powerless and sick.

But I recognize some people use the word more colloquially to mean that they overate some chips or something.

Agree
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited February 2019
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Obviously I don't know if this is relevant to you, but for binges that happen because one is under-eating like this, there is a simple solution:

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Not necessarily :neutral: I don’t restrict, or forbid, I can eat at Maintenance and still...It’s just the urge that goes away more quickly by giving in, again BAD HABIT, I think...
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    I have been a binge eater in the past. My advice is do not have your calories set too low. Doing this made me hungry and miserable and led me to binge- especially on foods I had told myself were “bad”. My advice? If you want a cupcake, EAT THE DAMN CUPCAKE. Eating one cupcake when you feel like it is a lot better than restricting yourself for days then all of a sudden giving up and eating all 12 in one sitting!!! Everything in moderation is key- don’t make the same mistake I did of labelling foods as “good” and “bad”. this will only make you want the things you can’t have more. Eat a sensible portion of what you crave and that urge to binge will go away!
    Good luck😀
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    I have been a binge eater in the past. My advice is do not have your calories set too low. Doing this made me hungry and miserable and led me to binge- especially on foods I had told myself were “bad”. My advice? If you want a cupcake, EAT THE DAMN CUPCAKE. Eating one cupcake when you feel like it is a lot better than restricting yourself for days then all of a sudden giving up and eating all 12 in one sitting!!! Everything in moderation is key- don’t make the same mistake I did of labelling foods as “good” and “bad”. this will only make you want the things you can’t have more. Eat a sensible portion of what you crave and that urge to binge will go away!
    Good luck😀

If only it were that easy. Binge eating does not go away because you "satiated" yourself with a sensible portion of a food you crave. @diannethegeek nailed it, at least for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    smolmaus wrote: »
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    Good luck😀

Binge eating disorders have a wide variety of causes and expressions and it isn't really fair to present a solution that works for you as somehow universal.

I thought this was also my solution until "everything in moderation" failed to stop the behaviour. The over-restriction was another symptom of the anxiety and poor mental health that leads to my binging problems, it wasn't the cause.

Yes, this is true for me too. Over-restriction was just another manifestation of the mental process that was causing me to binge (Hello anxiety!). While avoiding excessive restriction is an important part of my overall wellness, it wasn't going to control binges all by itself.
  • atgnat1
    atgnat1 Posts: 29 Member
    Well this thread has been pretty eye opening. I'm definitely not going to call my instances of careless overeating 'binges' anymore as going by some of the examples given in this thread the term really does seem to refer more to something psychological at work way beyond anything I've ever experienced.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    atgnat1 wrote: »
    Well this thread has been pretty eye opening. I'm definitely not going to call my instances of careless overeating 'binges' anymore as going by some of the examples given in this thread the term really does seem to refer more to something psychological at work way beyond anything I've ever experienced.

In my experience, people use the word in two ways here. Some people are referring to overeating, some people are referring to an actual ED. When it's not clarified, it can sometimes get confusing.