Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eat more to reduce body fat? debate

LivingtheLeanDream
LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
edited February 2019 in Debate Club
I'm a long term maintainer, a big believer in CICO, its definately how I maintain my weight but I had a long conversation with my eldest son the other night about lowering bf%.

He was mentioning how two of his co workers had in recent weeks started going to the gym and both have a personal trainer who advises them on food intake.

Both guys were wanting to maintain their weight but build muscle.

They were told firstly they weren't eating enough.

They were told eating too little leads to weight gain! yes really! (I just can't get my head around that, nor do I even believe it! I've been browsing these forums for years and can't see that it is possible!)

They increased their meals x 5 a day, mostly rice/chicken/fish/eggs veg and no bread no sauces (sounds boring to me personally!)

Anyway, both guys have remained the same weight but their body fat percentage has dropped radically in a matter of 5 or 6 weeks and both are visibly trimmer. I mean they have lost enough body fat for their clothes to be hanging off them.

So what gives?

I'd love to hear your thoughts because here I am with 7 years experience of counting calories in and out, I eat all the foods but I stay within the calories my body burns and maintain my weight fairly effortlessly (but always am looking to lower my bf% a little more.)

How can these guys be losing so much fat yet staying same weight?

They workout at gym heavy lifting 4 times a week. Is it really that simple? lift more = reduce bf%?

Your thoughts please?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Ruth

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    ps I wasn't sure what to put as the title of this debate!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    They were told eating too little leads to weight gain!
    Not a typo?? What?

Just following the thread other than that question - topic is of interest to me too. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    No its not a typo, they were told by this personal trainer that eating too little leads to weight gain!! I know, its dumbfounding! wonder how much training in nutrition and facts do you need to be a personal trainer!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    No its not a typo, they were told by this personal trainer that eating too little leads to weight gain!! I know, its dumbfounding! wonder how much training in nutrition and facts do you need to be a personal trainer!

I....don't know what to say to that :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

you don't do any training in nutrition to be a PT....
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    sounds like they dropped carbs... instant water loss and looking more lean.

how are they measuring bodyfat %?

I'm not sure about that, must ask my son - but if they're visibly leaner there's no question about fat loss right?
  • LivingtheLeanDream

you don't do any training in nutrition to be a PT....

So how come they feel so free to spout their so called knowledge...sorry but that bugs me! LOL so much bad information out there in general.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @tavistock that happens me daily LOL but that's natural cos food in my system etc...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Yes I was thinking the time wasn't enough for recomp results.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    The only time eating less leads to weight gain is when it causes you to binge because you are not eating enough. IMO. :p But guys can change their BODIES so quickly it really does irritate me. Let's see how it goes long term for them.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    The only time eating less leads to weight gain is when it causes you to binge because you are not eating enough. IMO. :p But guys can change their BODIES so quickly it really does irritate me. Let's see how it goes long term for them.

I know men eh!!! so annoying LOL but I'll be asking for updates as the weeks go on - I'm not sure who could eat rice and chicken day in day out long term :/