Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Smart watch/ tracker: dominant or non dominant wrist?

fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
For me, non-dominant wrist.
The only argument I have seen made for wearing one in the dominant hand is also an argument against that.
Wearing in the dominant side will result in me movement of the wrist registering as steps because our dominant hand moves more.
The reason for wearing non- dominant was, back in the day, to reduce risk of damage while working.
As a swimmer, another reason is that my Garmin, and all trackers that count laps, register the push off pause in wrist movement as the turn.
I catch with my dominant hand first after the turn. My non dominant hand starts extended longer. That reduces the turn register errors/misses.
Also, the buttons are easier to manipulate with my dominant hand.

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    I've always gone non dominant for trackers, probably because I grew up always wearing my watch on that wrist. The other reason today though, is that it wouldn't last a week on the job on the dominant wrist.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I do dominant, where I wore my regular (time only) watch. Still underestimates my all-day calorie burn, but gets rowing speed/distance close enough, so I'm happy.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    The watch band irritates my skin after a while on both wrists. Not enough for me to not wear it or pay $50 for a silicone band (I will at some point). As a result, I'll wear it on whatever wrist isn't itchy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    The watch band irritates my skin after a while on both wrists. Not enough for me to not wear it or pay $50 for a silicone band (I will at some point). As a result, I'll wear it on whatever wrist isn't itchy.

This. I remember being out with co-workers and someone mentioning they didn't know I was left handed. I looked at them puzzled and said I'm not. Was just a day where my left wrist was itchy and I had my watch on my right.

I got silicon bands (under $15 on Amazon) and just wear it on my non-dominate now
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member

I have a theory that the problem comes from bacteria (particularly staff) building up on the inside of the watch band. The band that came with my Garmin is def silicone (of a rather stiff grade). I take it off At least once a day, wash it and my wrist with soap, dry thoroughly, and replace. Things have gotten better. I imagine that a breathable webbing band could be an improvement, but still should be washed regularly. Interested in others comments.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

I have a theory that the problem comes from bacteria (particularly staff) building up on the inside of the watch band. The band that came with my Garmin is def silicone (of a rather stiff grade). I take it off At least once a day, wash it and my wrist with soap, dry thoroughly, and replace. Things have gotten better. I imagine that a breathable webbing band could be an improvement, but still should be washed regularly. Interested in others comments.

I was mine when I charge it, otherwise occasionally seem to get some irritation. Not sure whether bacterial or other irritants (soap or cleaning supply residue that missed rinsing, say).
  • aokoye
    edited February 2019

I wash mine fairly frequently (more often than it gets charged) though not once a day. I'll try that and see how things fair. Webbing would likely be a major improvement though.

edit: it also an issue of it being against my skin constantly as compared to my RoadID which has never caused irritation but is significantly looser.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I was mine when I charge it, otherwise occasionally seem to get some irritation. Not sure whether bacterial or other irritants (soap or cleaning supply residue that missed rinsing, say).

My Garmin gets washed with me in the shower after swimming. :D
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    My Garmin gets washed with me in the shower after swimming. :D

I think I was having problems if I didn't thoroughly wash out the chlorine. I wash and dry the watch and my wrist after swimming, too.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I wear mine on my dominant hand, and forget it's there.

I wash mine fairly frequently (more often than it gets charged) though not once a day. I'll try that and see how things fair. Webbing would likely be a major improvement though.

edit: it also an issue of it being against my skin constantly as compared to my RoadID which has never caused irritation but is significantly looser.

REI sells webbing watch bands. The one I had was surprisingly uncomfortable where the velcro connected. If you go that route, don't buy it online, go to a store and try it on first.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member

I only have issues with mine with the Garmin supplied wristband when I switched out for a canvas NATO strap, no irritation, I don't think it's even bacteria that's the issue just moisture causing the watch strap to rub.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    nondominant.
    it will count more steps and full range of movement because i'm not holding things in that hand/arm.
    i'm prone to eczema so irritation is part of life with a watch band
  • aokoye
    I wear mine on my dominant hand, and forget it's there.

REI sells webbing watch bands. The one I had was surprisingly uncomfortable where the velcro connected. If you go that route, don't buy it online, go to a store and try it on first.

Good to know. Next time I'm near REI I'll stop in and see what they have. I know that there are specific Garmin branded webbing bands, but none of them appear to be compatible with the FR935.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Can't win...ambidexter but I generally choose my left hand for simplicity.
    It doesn't seem to matter counting steps unless flailing my arm in a ridiculous manner requiring purposeful effort
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Nondominant for me too. I tried to wear it on my right wrist and got too many extra steps credited for just the wrist movement. Also, i too believe that the skin irritation caused by bacteria. So when it happens, i clean the band really well, sometimes even take it off and soak in rubbing alcohol for a while, clean the irritated skin and cover with the band-aid to protect from further irritation. It clears up in a few days, and then i remember to clean the band often and well, because it's annoying to have that problem. Pretty preventable.
  • AndreaMarie1236
    AndreaMarie1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Dominant hand but only bc the non dominant one is clumsy to me when I’m trying to work out and view my heart rate
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Nondominant for me, because I am a teacher and when I tried to wear it on my dominant hand it kept counting the hand movements (especially when writing on the blackboard) as steps.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Non dominant and I set it as my dominant hand. I still wake up having taken 8-11 steps so I must turn over aggressively :).
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Non-dominant just because I've always worn my watch on my non-dominant wrist. It goes back to school days where I wanted to be able to check the time while still writing in exams!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I ordered some cheap silicone ones from Amazon (about $10 for 3) for my Fitbit Charge 2. They have holes through the whole band & don't seem to cause irritation.