I backed out of surgery, and have lost nearly 140 lbs. so far!

ricipwykfb2h.jpg

This is kind of a big deal to me: I started my weight loss journey a year and a half ago at 305 lbs, severely morbidly obese for a lady only 5' tall. I wanted bariatric surgery, and went through all the pre op requirements fully intending to go through with the procedure. My surgeon told me the gastric sleeve would help me get to about 166 lbs, as long as I followed the prescribed diet and exercise program afterward. Eight days from my surgery date I backed out. I'm not judging, I just came to realize surgery wasn't for me. But when I backed out I promised not to let myself regret the decision. Well, this week I reached 166 lbs through my own program of diet and exercise, and I'm so tickled I just wanted to share. I'm not one to take selfies, especially not full body shots. But here's my face, before and after, at ages 57 and 58. My goal is to lose 20 - 25 more lbs, then have surgery to remove quite a bit of the sagging flesh that's been left behind.

I aim for no more than 1,200 high quality calories per day, focusing on lean proteins and fresh fruits and veggies, 64 oz of water each day, and moving around more and more as my body would allow. I started with some form of exercise one day a week, and have worked my way up to five days a week. I began with swimming, which was easy on my joints and supported my weight. I''m in my 50's, and have quite a bit of arthritis. I added walking when my knees didn't hurt so much, then riding a bike, and now some light strength training. I alternate these throughout the week. Although I'm strict about my calories in and out, I eat a small treat most evenings, like a bit of dark chocolate and/or pretzels or popcorn. And I allow a planned splurge on holidays, vacations, and special occasions. I also switched to decaf, and very rarely drink alcohol.

I use the myfitnesspal app to log my calories as accurately as I can, wear a Fit Bit to remind me to move, andbelong to several online weight loss support groups like this one, getting inspiration from you all!

Replies

• Sew3rin
    Sew3rin Posts: 115 Member
    Such an inspiration!
  • Sew3rin
    Sew3rin Posts: 115 Member
    Congratulations!!!
  • vkmango4
    vkmango4 Posts: 161 Member
    Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Congrats on you hard work and dedication.
  • So inspiring!!! You should be so proud of yourself!!!
  • Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    That's awesome !
  • Foodforthought125
    Foodforthought125 Posts: 11 Member
    You changed your lifestyle and changed your life, and that's so amazing. Thanks so much for sharing your success, I'll remember this when I get discouraged!
  • Catho36
    Catho36 Posts: 107 Member
    Well done, I’m so pleased for you and inspired by you, your dedication and determination is awe inspiring, so chuffed for you!
  • seaturtle7
    seaturtle7 Posts: 10 Member
    Well done . Keep up the great work. You look great before and after. 💃🏻💪
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    Amazing! Congratulations, you look fantastic!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Congratulations!!
  • queenoscots
    queenoscots Posts: 44 Member
    If I could reach through this screen to hug you, I would.

What a happy thought! Thanks for your kind words!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Wow!!! Amazing job, you should be so proud of your heard work and success!
  • Fantastic, great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!