Talk to me about Herbalife

So I’ve used it as a breakfast replacer for years. Not really buying into the hype, but just as something quick and easy for my morning food intake. I’ve heard so many conflicting things about it as a gig and as a nutritional supplement. What are y’all a thoughts? I mean yes, if you replace a full meal with a shake daily it obviously is going to cut your calories down into a more measurable thing no matter what system you use, but has anyone used it consistently and really seen/felt any true measurable results?

Replies

• The_Wallflower
    The_Wallflower Posts: 111 Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    MLM scheme that's overpriced and not needed to lose weight.

This... also questionable ingredients.

That’s the part I’m mainly seeking answers for. I’ve heard that some research found false advertising about what was really in it.
  • The_Wallflower

I know it’s definitely not needed to lose. I lost all of my weight through diet and exercise alone. I’m just wondering about logistical things like false advertising in the ingredients and if others had any real results. Any time I see an MLM I cringe a bit lol
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

That’s the part I’m mainly seeking answers for. I’ve heard that some research found false advertising about what was really in it.

I prefer transparency in things I am consuming. The supplement industry is wholly unregulated.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019

I just took a peek at the ingredients label of one of the shake powders and while I'm not a food 'purist' by any means, that label made my head spin :p Have you looked into just doing green smoothies instead? I have one every day and with Greek yogurt it has a pretty good nutrition profile, with a much simpler ingredient list (greens, fruit and then the Greek yogurt).
  • The_Wallflower

I just took a peek at the ingredients label of one of the shake powders and while I'm not a food 'purist' by any means, that label made my head spin :p Have you looked into just doing green smoothies instead? I have one every day and with Greek yogurt it has a pretty good nutrition profile, with a much simpler ingredient list (greens, fruit and then the Greek yogurt).

Looooooove doing green smoothies. So good and so healthy!! I don’t add any yogurt into mine but that’s a fun idea!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    As a gig, I'd avoid it like the plague (as I would any MLM).

As a product, there are products available that are more affordable and will provide the same benefits (without the sketchiness).
  • The_Wallflower

I prefer transparency in things I am consuming. The supplement industry is wholly unregulated.

I can 100% agree with that statement.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019

Looooooove doing green smoothies. So good and so healthy!! I don’t add any yogurt into mine but that’s a fun idea!!

Adding Greek yogurt will give you 13-15g of protein. I also just discovered Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt and besides 15g of protein it also has 6g of fiber. I aim for over 30g of fiber a day so this is pretty exciting to me :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Like any pyramid marketing scheme, it relies on a near religious devotion on the part of the "sellers."
    Those guys you see at costco, Walmart, BJ selling direct TV? They all work in a pyramid marketing scheme style too.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I know someone who is a Herbalife devotee. I every once in a while watch her stories on IG. Her breakfast smoothie thing has all sorts of stuff that goes in it like 4 scoops of personalised protein powder "because everyone has their own personalised goals". And I just think - FOUR SCOOPS of protein powder? How much ACTUAL PROTEIN is in that powder? My ONE scoop of plain old normal vegan protein or pure beef protein (coz whey makes me fart) has 30g Protein in ONE scoop.

She burns through the "personalised protein powder" and not to mention all the other stuff that gets put in there.

I'm pretty sure just a normal smoothie - some liquid of some sort eg almond milk, scoop of whatever protein doesn't make you fart and some fruit would do the same job much cheaper and probably much more "healthily"

Apart from it being MLM, I think you can reduce your calories by drinking them in a cheaper and better way than with Herbalife.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member

Only in America.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    It is overpriced garbage that supports a garbage business model. If you want a "shake" for breakfast there are plenty of cheaper and better options out there.

Herbalife is pure crap.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    That’s a no from me. I feel bad for the people who’ve gone in debt with that business.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    There is a woman in my office that uses it and she stays relatively thin BUT she eats very little actual food and walks regularly. Mind you, she is thin but she doesn't look healthy.