25min run = extreme hunger?

So I went on my first run in over a year with my dog yesterday my Fitbit registered that I ran for 25min and since then I've been starving like stomach grumbling hungry I ate over 2k calories yesterday and over 1700 today which is slot for me. I did some research and apparently "runger" is a thing and women with s higher bf % get it the worst but after only 25min? I want to continue to run with my dog but I can't if it's going to make me this hungry

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    In my experience and hearing from other runners, a 25 minute run wouldn't really be enough to cause this kind of reaction. I need at least 90 minutes to feel a lot of hunger the next day.

That doesn't mean this isn't the cause with you, but if it is just one day I wouldn't immediately conclude that is the issue.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    In my experience and hearing from other runners, a 25 minute run wouldn't really be enough to cause this kind of reaction. I need at least 90 minutes to feel a lot of hunger the next day.

That doesn't mean this isn't the cause with you, but if it is just one day I wouldn't immediately conclude that is the issue.

Yesterday and today although yesterday was also the first time I've had chance to exercise in a week with the kids being off school and me being ill could this be part of the reason? I was on 1200 tue-saturday due to 0 exercise
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    angelsja wrote: »

Yesterday and today although yesterday was also the first time I've had chance to exercise in a week with the kids being off school and me being ill could this be part of the reason? I was on 1200 tue-saturday due to 0 exercise

I would think the 1200 while ill would be the primary factors.

I also need about a 2 hour run before I really get super hungry from a run. Which doesn’t mean that’s not the cause for you but I’d be looking at the 1200 while sick as way more of a factor.
  • angelsja

I have no idea what type of deficit 1,200 is for you, but yeah . . . going into a more active day having not had enough to eat for several days prior could certainly cause some hunger.

I also need about a 2 hour run before I really get super hungry from a run. Which doesn’t mean that’s not the cause for you but I’d be looking at the 1200 while sick as way more of a factor.

It was only a sore throat/runny nose lasted about 3 days 1200 on a sedentary day puts me around a 700 deficit
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

I have no idea what type of deficit 1,200 is for you, but yeah . . . going into a more active day having not had enough to eat for several days prior could certainly cause some hunger.

It was only a sore throat/runny nose lasted about 3 days 1200 on a sedentary day puts me around a 700 deficit

1200 is a 400 deficit for me when I’m sedentary and I still don’t eat that little when I’m ill. You need fuel to heal.
  • angelsja

1200 is a 400 deficit for me when I’m sedentary and I still don’t eat that little when I’m ill. You need fuel to heal.

Had it developed into a full blow cold I would have eaten more I wouldn't even say I was "ill" for me just a little run down but I guess the combo of been run down + low cals = extreme hunger when I got back to normal so my question is will this hunger go away now I'm back to exercising + eating more it's very uncomfortable :(
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member

Had it developed into a full blow cold I would have eaten more I wouldn't even say I was "ill" for me just a little run down but I guess the combo of been run down + low cals = extreme hunger when I got back to normal so my question is will this hunger go away now I'm back to exercising + eating more it's very uncomfortable :(

If you are eating enough and eating your exercise calories yes. I only got really hungry from exercising when I was working at or beyond 10k (and on long slow run days that could be 1.5hrs of running)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    So I went on my first run in over a year with my dog yesterday my Fitbit registered that I ran for 25min and since then I've been starving like stomach grumbling hungry I ate over 2k calories yesterday and over 1700 today which is slot for me. I did some research and apparently "runger" is a thing and women with s higher bf % get it the worst but after only 25min? I want to continue to run with my dog but I can't if it's going to make me this hungry

It's not runger. You probably covered something like 2-3 miles in 25 minutes. Depending on your weight, that's likely only something in the neighborhood of 200-250 calories.
  • angelsja
    edited February 2019
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

It's not runger. You probably covered something like 2-3 miles in 25 minutes. Depending on your weight, that's likely only something in the neighborhood of 200-250 calories.

I also walked 15miles on top of that but that not out of the ordinary for me I've eaten over half of my earned calories today and my tummy is grumbling 😦
    Weight 183lbs
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I also walked 15miles on top of that but that not out of the ordinary for me I've eaten over half of my earned calories today and my tummy is grumbling 😦
    Weight 183lbs

If you have calories left, it seems as if there is a solution to this problem.
  • angelsja

Weight 183lbs

I only eat half and I can't/don't like to eat after 7pm it's a trigger for me :( just had a hot chocolate which has helped hopefully be better tomorrow
  • angelsja

Weight 183lbs

I only eat half and I can't/don't like to eat after 7pm it's a trigger for me :( just had a hot chocolate which has helped hopefully be better tomorrow

Choosing to undereat will often come with the side effect of excessive hunger.

I'm not choosing to under eat I know from my data that my Fitbit over estimated my calorie burn so therefore I only eat half my "earned" calories back isn't the recommended advice to start with eating 50% etc and track your progress?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    That would only burn about 200-250 calories for me....I can’t imagine that short of a run would be inspiring that much hunger. I get the “runger” when running 8 or more miles, and definitely have to plan out what I eat and how much water I drink to avoid overeating a few hours later. It is a real thing, but it’s from a much more prolonged effort.