No more 1200

After posting a question about me being tortured with 1200 calories, I have come to the conclusion that I need to change my daily calorie goal. I am manually changing it here on MFP to at least 1400 but I need help with the settings:

Carbohydrates 175 g

Fat 47 g

Protein 70 g

% Total
Macronutrients must equal 100%???? What do I set these as? How to know?

I am 5ft and 151.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Macros are generally personal preference. There's no harm in starting with the MFP default settings. Many of us did that, looking at fat and protein as minimums to be exceeded and let carbs fall where they may. If you notice a pattern of some foods in a specific macro either tend to fill you up, or tend to leave you hungry, you can always tweak those goals up or down to try to make it easier to hit your calorie goal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Just set your calories and let the default macros settle in. Percentages: 50C 30F 20P
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    175g of Carb is 700 calories (Carbs are 4 cals per gram) and therefore 50%
    47g of Fat is 423 calories (Fat is 9 cals per gram) and therefore 30%
    70g of Protein is 280 calories (Protein is 4 cals per gram) and therefore 20%
  • Suly09
    Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
    Thank you all.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I left mine at 1200 on the screen and just eat more. It doesn’t bother me to see the red numbers when I eat over the calorie target. In fact it helps me be more dispassionate about the data.

I am 5’1” and now 144ish lbs

Yay, I do this too! I usually end up at like -100 or -200 with random snacks and stuff. It really helps to make my day feel a little more intuitive.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Another option is to not select 2lb/week (which is likely selected for the 1200 to come up) or a higher movement level.

I leave macros as default. even if I change calorie goal it will just distribute the default % which works for me. at least to get you started.