Rowing Machine Recommendations?

I use a treadmill and lift light weights and I'm considering adding rowing to my at home exercise. Do any of you have any recommendations? I was considering the Concept2 Model D rower. Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Concept 2 is the best out there. If I were going to make rowing a regular part of my fitness regimen, that's what I would go with. IMO, nothing else holds a candle to a Concept 2.

I bought a Stamina Air Rower which in my research came out in 2nd place in most reviews, but it is nowhere near the quality and feel of a Concept 2. I bought it because it was a significantly cheaper price point and rowing is something my wife and I do occasionally to break up the monotony of using the indoor bike trainer and it is not a substantial component of our fitness regimens.

Thank-you! I really appreciate the input.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Concept 2 is the best out there. If I were going to make rowing a regular part of my fitness regimen, that's what I would go with. IMO, nothing else holds a candle to a Concept 2.

I bought a Stamina Air Rower which in my research came out in 2nd place in most reviews, but it is nowhere near the quality and feel of a Concept 2. I bought it because it was a significantly cheaper price point and rowing is something my wife and I do occasionally to break up the monotony of using the indoor bike trainer and it is not a substantial component of our fitness regimens.

Thank-you! I really appreciate the input.

For our purposes, the Concept 2 would be overkill and the Stamina is perfect and it's still a pretty good machine...it's just the the Concept 2 is so top of the line that it's hard to really do a comparison. I used to use a Concept 2 at one of my old gyms from time to time, and it was pretty awesome...just overkill for what we do at home.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    edited February 2019
    I've been using a Concept2 for the last 5 years and it's been a great purchase. If maintained, it will last a lifetime.

I use it as a cross-training tool for an offset to running and biking. With over 5 million meters, I can say definitively the item is high quality.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    If you can afford the Concept2, definitely go with that. I had a ~$300 rower which was like riding a skateboard attached by bungee cords to a door handle of a not quite closed door. The Concept2 is smooth, solid and orders of magnitude better. I only row as an adjunct to my regular training (mostly running) and the C2 was worth every penny.
  • The Xebex rower from getrxd.com is very comparable to the Concept 2 and about $150 cheaper. I have used both a lot and actually prefer the Xebex
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited February 2019
    Go with Concept2. Outside of being great workhorses, their customer support is apparently really good.

edit: also whatever you do, make sure you learn how to row on a rowing machine correctly. Not doing so is just asking for an injury. Concept2 has very good videos on their website.
  • RowingBill
    RowingBill Posts: 36 Member
    For our purposes, the Concept 2 would be overkill and the Stamina is perfect and it's still a pretty good machine...it's just the the Concept 2 is so top of the line that it's hard to really do a comparison. I used to use a Concept 2 at one of my old gyms from time to time, and it was pretty awesome...just overkill for what we do at home.

I have to agree, the Stamina Avari programmable magnetic rowing machine is more than enough for me. Got mine 3 yrs ago and it's still in use today. The price has gone up approx. $100.00 since then but it's still mid-range price rower. Ordered on Amazon, shipped to me in very good shape, received in 3 days, and put together in less than 20min. (10 min of that was trying to get it out of the box.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    RowingBill wrote: »

I have to agree, the Stamina Avari programmable magnetic rowing machine is more than enough for me. Got mine 3 yrs ago and it's still in use today. The price has gone up approx. $100.00 since then but it's still mid-range price rower. Ordered on Amazon, shipped to me in very good shape, received in 3 days, and put together in less than 20min. (10 min of that was trying to get it out of the box.)

I have the air rower...the magnetic is probably a bit better. Mine isn't programmable either...but I only use it maybe once a month or so.
  • asochable
    asochable Posts: 43 Member
    Check the row2k.com classified section for used Concept2’s if that’s what you decide you want. Sometimes you can get them for as cheap as half price in great condition—but they go fast!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    If you have the space and budget, you can't go wrong with a Concept2. I had space limitations and didn't want to spend that much, so I got a used WaterRower and couldn't be happier. I use the Concept2 at the gym and use the WaterRower at home. It gets the job done, it's pretty and takes up very little space.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Concept 2. They're tough. (Mine's over 10 years old, used regularly during ice season, and like new. The university team whose equipment I use sometimes has ranks of them that each get millions of meters a year; problems pretty much unheard of. Easy, minimal maintenance.)

C2 has great web presence (instruction, workouts, training guides, forums, challenges, virtual races, logbook, more). The machine's monitor is excellent for setting up & tracking varied workouts.

It's what all the university teams and overwhelming majority of on-water rowers use.

You won't be sorry: Great piece of equipment.

I agree with the point about learning good technique and grooving that in from the start. It's harder to retrain muscle memory later.

If I were buying now, I'd probably get the Dynamic, but that's as an on-water rower. I also find it maybe 5% easier on my bad knees (not caused by rowing BTW). I don't think those are reasons that generalize to others.

• curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    I have concept 2 for pat 2 year. i love the t, works great. It has computer program you can connect to(optional) to keep track of pace or have races online. Good motivator. I personally have been watching sculling scenery videos while rowing to help pass the time but good overall workout!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Others have hinted at this, but here's the deal on the Concept2s. You can't find one used, in decent condition that's had the minimal amount of maintenance needed, for less than $650. If you can, it's likely the person never did ANY maintenance to it. All you really need to do is lube it every 2 months or so (very easy to do).

I've had mine going on two years now and put a ton of meters on it. So, basically, it's cheaper than running. I used to run. I needed new, $60 (minimum cost) shoes every 2 to 3 months. That's around $250 to $300 a year and that's assuming you're not going to a Running Shoe store. Rowing on my C2 costs me around $30 to $50 when you include rowing shoes (which are just lifting shoes or minimalist shoes) and the shoes last a lot longer rowing than running.

No machine will resell for as high as the C2. Since they are not motorized and built like a tank, they retain value better than any other fitness equipment. Perhaps only Olympic Bars/Weights or Kettlebells (also indestructable) compare in retaining value.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I use a treadmill and lift light weights and I'm considering adding rowing to my at home exercise. Do any of you have any recommendations? I was considering the Concept2 Model D rower. Any other pointers would be appreciated.

C2 all the way, it's the gold standard. I've had mine for 7 years and had zero maintenance issues (keep your track clean, your chain lubed and the flywheel clean) and it will give you years of trouble free service. There's a reason you rarely se used ones for sale, people who buy them use them and keep them.