WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :)Heather, congrats on getting back to your writing. I know how hard it is to return to something so emotionally charged after being away from it for awhile.

:)Betsy, I hope things work out for you. How stressful to have a family disagreement end up in court.

:) I renewed my driver's license this morning. I had conjured up all sorts of stress in my head about it and knew that the only way to make the stress go away was to take care of the scary chore. It turned out to be no big deal--easy vision test, photo, write a check and go home. Now I am licensed to drive until 2025.

:)LisaI have a barely adequate recumbent exercise bike in my living room and I love it because it's always there for me so I can be active whenever I want to. I knew that I would never go to a gym, so I stopped pretending that I would. I also have some hand weights and ankle weights.

:)Allie, It helps me to lay my clothes out the night before so when I get up, it is easy to put on the clothes I need to wear for my walk. You could do the same with the clothes you plan to wear to the gym. It saves having to think too much at 4 AM.

<3 Barbie from beautiful chilly sunny NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member

37lysab2cyeb.jpeg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    Regarding at-home exercise equipment ...

My husband and I each have bicycles set up on trainers ... of course! :) Those are for the cool, windy, rainy days of winter ... and occasionally summer too.

However, we are casually looking for a rowing machine and a treadmill.

The only rowing machine we'll get is a Concept2. Unfortunately, that's the only rowing machine most people will get and they don't tend to sell them used!! We may end up having to get a new one.

As for treadmills, we did some research a number of years ago, and I discovered things I didn't know about treadmills. Treadmills have body weight ratings. Be sure to get one that includes the weight of the heaviest member of your family. Treadmills also have "speeds". So I might run at 8 km/h, but my husband (when he's in good shape) can run at 10 km/h. Therefore we would want a treadmill that can handle at least 10 km/h. So do your research! :)

Machka in Oz
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    It's International Polar Bear Day!

"International Polar Bear Day is ... a day to learn more about the polar bear and conservation efforts where the polar bear is concerned. Some organizations use this day to raise awareness of the declining number of polar bears worldwide. It is believed by many that these beautiful creatures are threatened due to global warming and the consequential loss of their natural habitat. Groups around the world gather together to find ways to make a difference and spread information to others."

Katla - I hope your husband fees better and you get your RV adventure!

Michele - Well, our warring dogs were all large so it was kind of a challenge. The first thing we learned to do was let the other two go at it while we intercepted the Irish wolfhound and confined him before he could get into it, because otherwise he'd joyously join the fray and then we'd have 300 pounds of biting dog instead of 150. Then we'd each pick up the back legs of one combatant and wheelbarrow them away from each other, or if I was alone, I'd pick up one hind end and try to drag them into a doorway or other area where I could get them separated. I swear, the border collie was mentally ill... he was usually the one who started it, but the big greyhound wasn't willing to back down.

Rori - I was thinking the same about "Let's All Eat Right Day." Seems like what we're trying to do every day!

Machka - I've been wishing for a rowing machine too, even though I'm not sure where I would put it.

Philip and I tried out our town's new Italian restaurant this evening. I had the shrimp scampi and stayed away from heavy sauces, and we walked a little over a mile each way so I felt good about it. Still getting tired way too easily though. I hope that's a temporary thing!

Tomorrow night is a dinner hosted by Philip's employer. I'm trying to figure out if I can walk to the station and take our local intra-urban bus into Austin for that instead of ending up with two cars there, but so far their web site has not been helpful. How hard is it to ask me where I am and where I want to go, and then tell me what bus I need to take to get there? I guess I'll call them tomorrow but if it's too big a pain I'll just drive in or ride the motorcycle if the weather is good.

-Yvonne in TX
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Kate UK- my DH also has listening issues. He also says it’s because I mumble. I had to laugh when I read your post. I heard him on the phone this morning talking to some company Re hearing aids. Here’s hoping.
    Suebdew in TX
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,723 Member
    Betsy - hope the court decision goes in your favour.

Rebecca - Hugs I have no advice or knowledge to give, but I’m thinking about you.

Lisa - what a remarkable recovery good for you!

Lanette - I had a very dear lady in my life that loved gardening, I remember her being so anxious this time of year to get going. Her son bought her a little greenhouse a couple of years before she died in an accident, it was her pride and joy.

Kate - I am being accused of mumbling too, and I can’t hear myself think due to the volume of the tv. Very annoying that he won’t go get checked. He is only 54, it comes from years of gun use in militia and then driving a reefer transport for years.

Barbie - thanks for the reminder, hubby needs to go get his licence renewed. We just realized it expired in January.

Yvonne - I hope you get figure out the transit site. The transit site for here is difficult to maneuver as well.

Helped my friend today. Was quite the success. She sold partylite for a few years, she has decided to sell most of her stockpile finally. We have a few rooms left to go.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,723 Member
    The nursing home that my Mom is in has a fb page that is relatively new, I follow it and am always so happy when they post a picture of my Mom. They posted one today of her, they had baked molasses cookies. My Mom made molasses cookies so often when I was growing up I can’t stomach them now, but she looks so happy. My Mom is standing.
    vyo0ji6a7xxm.jpeg

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    Wild night here. Land under highway north of town dropped 2 feet, crimping, cracking and separating the pavement.
    6uuau8k6i0j2.jpg
    5w9soopdf8yn.jpg

Fuel and food trucks cannot come through on the alternate, it's gravel and too narrow in places, and sliding too. Can't come in from the southeast, that road is snowy and closed. No fuel depots to the south and only ocean to the west. Got some of the last gas in town, all the stations are empty now. No milk in the grocery store. Fortunately most everyone has a good attitude, there hasn't been any price gouging or nasty behavior competing for the last of whatever. The isolation is good practice for the "big one" may that day be far off!

Katla love the hay bales compost bin idea, but afraid we might attract Mr. Bear. Had a "straw garden" when we lived in the Boise 'burbs, it was great for holding moisture in that climate. . . not an issue here! ;) When is your DH's Dr. appointment? Hoping he'll feel good enough to travel soon.
    Rita
    oww! Sounds like its time to have the "who is the Mama and who is the puppy?" chat with Wicket. She must NOT be allowed to claim the bed as her resource. Everything, including her body, is YOURS! Just sayin', as a terrier Mama I've had to have this chat many many times... ;} Ah, you held her head between your knees, that should have gotten the message across. Well done!
    pip Gotta smooch that black pooch's nose. S M O O O C H!!!
    Rori hooray for sunshine!
    Rebecca thanks for updating us, I've missed you.
    Lisa 110 degree bend? Bravissima!
    Betsy ((hugs)) doesn't seem fair that those with deep pockets can appeal and stretch things out so much.
    Lanette your husband gets extra stars for holding back... it would never occur to Joe ;)

and now to sleep zzzzzzzzzz
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 17/28, 60 g protein 26/28, rx/vits 25/28, meditate 22/28, knee exercises 22/28, SWSY 5/8, play with Tumble 12/28, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 19/28.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    02/25 LT:SWSY-N, MT: email links to line dances to Barb-Y, ST: Review Brookings BrushBusuters on NextDoor and Yelp-Y
    02/26 LT:SWSY half-Y, MT: Tumble stay play-N , ST: vac'n'sweep-Y
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    <3 Nearly caught up. Will chat soon.
    Viv York UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    loving all the pics. <3
    Barbara that buckled road looks tooooo scary, hope it happened when nobody was driving on it.

Allie I love Barbie's advice about setting out clothes the night before to make getting out to gym, this strategy works for me as well. I always prep for a positive choice to exercise and it makes all the difference. You can also do simple little things, park further away, take the stairs, get up and walk every 20 minutes when you're at your desk, little things add up!

Well I caught my DH's nasty cold, so lots of tea, lemon and honey for me. My head is swimming it's so stuffed up!
    I have a long work day today and tomorrow, no gym time but will try to take my own advice and look for all the little things that add up! Food prep and choices are going well since my return.

NYKAREN

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    NYKaren~ i park outside, the gym is 25 feet from my door :) and you all will be happy to know I got my butt out of bed at 4 put my gym clothes on and went down to the gym... did 1/2 hr on the treadmill at a pretty good clip, and did 5 lbs handweights a couple of reps... its baby steps but if I make it a habit I will do well.. thanks Barbie for the shove :wink:
    I am back and having my tea.. fed the dog and will watch Joyce then hop in the shower.. DFIL is all over the place he was chatty and nice for a few minutes then turns into a storm cloud.. he ate his fruit on his own and then all bets were off. it is coming to the point where we are mostly feeding him, and he sleep eats keeps his eyes closed alot... Both Tom and I know that one of these days he wont be here and we are prepared for that..
    I did tell Tom he is very happy when I tell him on Friday that Tom is coming... and Tom said well he doesnt show it..I said I know he loves you and Im sure he wasn't very demonstrative when you guys were young ,but he loves us both because we are the ones who care and dote on him..
    And when it is his time to go we can both hold our heads high knowing we took the very best care of him we could.. and if he had stayed where he was with Toms Brother and SIL , he would have been long gone by now..
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Allie - Well done getting to the gym! Like you said - baby steps. All you have to do is be a little better than yesterday, and you accomplished that. Each day you exercise is a personal victory.

Heather - Glad to see you get back to writing. I know you're glad to be there!

Tracy (Snowflake) - Your mom does indeed look very happy.

Barbara - Holy smokes! That road collapse is wild...

Rebecca - So good to see you posting, love the pictures of your baby elk, and I'm really proud of you for continuing to fight to get what you need. I'm also sorry that the doc didn't treat you well. Your gyn MAY be able to assist with an anti-depressant when you talk to her/him, but due to the way the military restricts their ability to prescribe, may not. Just keep fighting, my dear! Your health is worth fighting for, both mental and physical.

On the subject of husbands going deaf, my 49-year-old DH actually DID get tested, as I kept telling him he was going deaf. Turns out that the part of his hearing he's losing is the exact tone range of most female and children's voices, the higher pitches. The doc told him it wasn't unusual. He's a mechanic and worked in some form of noisy environment most of his life. So... I try to talk a little louder around him, and get a lot less of the "you're mumbling" than I used to get. :smiley: I probably need to get tested myself.

Today's my "work in town" day, so I need to hit the showers and get ready to go. Quite a bit different than my usual, "where did I put my sweatpants," usual mornings.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • LisaInAR
    Oh - and on the subject of exercise machines. I don't like treadmills, as even with safety cutoffs, I don't want anything forcing my feet to move. We all have our irrational fears, but I was a gym manager for long enough to see about a half dozen falls on treadmills... so it's not an option for me, personally. If you love them, good for you, you probably use them safely.

However, if you are thinking about buying an exercise bike, read ALL the reviews, not just the ones on the site where you're looking at it. Had found what I thought was exactly the one I wanted on Walmart.com, great reviews. Then I went to Amazon, where the price was higher, and the reviews noted that you need a 33" inseam at a minimum. As mine is, at best 28 or 29, I'd not be able to even reach the pedals! So, the hunt is one once more. :)

Lisa in AR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    Barbara - Scary landslip! Hope you get your supplies through soon. <3

Lisa - Did some more today. :D I feel so much better when I'm doing it. I don't know why I let myself get derailed. I felt before the break that what I was writing was boring and not good. This latest section was a bit more engaging. I just try to tell myself - I have to get black on white. I can change it all later. That's what I used to tell my students!

I was so pleased that DH enjoyed the dancing last night. He only goes to please me and is definitely not a natural dancer. Last night's dance was much easier for him. I am delighted that my knee is holding up. All my strengthening exercises are paying off.
    I will go for a run this afternoon, in the bright sunshine. Record temps over here. Over 70 ° .

Tonight we are going back to the Cercle Francais for a lecture. Can't remember what it's about! We enjoyed being in a French atmosphere last time and met some nice people (English). I still can't get over how easy it is here to go and do something interesting. Just a free bus ride away.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Good morning,all. Been trying to catch up,but once I go to reply,what I read flies out the window!

Had the cold,sickness that was going around & that turned into a marathon. 6 wks for me,then DH got it.Another 6 wks,a 2 nd cold for me lasting 10 days,now he is almost over his 2 nd cold. Been yrs since we had anything like it. Dr’s nurse told us Dr had the same thing & is very wide spread.

The good news is our 2 nd Great Grson was 2 wks old yesterday. 6lb 11oz.

Most of the family is planning a get together this summer.

AUNTIEBK,Our DD was driving thru eastern Tn last Fri (work) & had to go miles out of her way to get home.Roads flooded,closed etc. A woman she worked with lost her DH in a landslide.Was surely a bad weather wk.

Have been lucky in central Oh.Just a day here & there of wind,rain or snow.

Doing ok with my eating plan. Refuse to call it a diet,not that a name makes a difference. Just eating more fruit & veggies,less meat.
    Carbs not a problem,got off that train yrs ago.

BTW,does anyone own a spiralizer? What brand did you go with,do you use it much? That is my sticking point.Hate to tell you how many kitchen gadgets that ended up as dust catchers.

Got an automatic sweeper for Christmas. Surprised to find what a workhorse it is.

That’s all I have,will read & reply later.
    Pat or Trish
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Oh - and on the subject of exercise machines. I don't like treadmills, as even with safety cutoffs, I don't want anything forcing my feet to move. We all have our irrational fears, but I was a gym manager for long enough to see about a half dozen falls on treadmills... so it's not an option for me, personally. If you love them, good for you, you probably use them safely.

However, if you are thinking about buying an exercise bike, read ALL the reviews, not just the ones on the site where you're looking at it. Had found what I thought was exactly the one I wanted on Walmart.com, great reviews. Then I went to Amazon, where the price was higher, and the reviews noted that you need a 33" inseam at a minimum. As mine is, at best 28 or 29, I'd not be able to even reach the pedals! So, the hunt is one once more. :)

Lisa in AR

One of the things you'd want to look for is an exercise bike that is adjustable, so that you can fine tune your fit on the bike. If you ride an exercise bike, spin bike or bicycle outside, you and the bicycle are a machine. If the machine is not set up right, there will be wear and tear ... and most of the wear and tear will be on your joints.

BTW - personally, if I were to look for an indoor bike, I'd go with the following order:

1) Smart Trainer + the current bicycle I have designated as my indoor bicycle.

2) Dumb Trainer (Fluid, not any of the other options) + the current bicycle I have designated as my indoor bicycle. That's what I've got now. If I make a change, it will be to go to a Smart Trainer.

3) Spin Bike - commercial quality. Fully adjustable and able to connect to computer.

4) Stationary Bike - commercial quality. Something like, say, a Lifecycle ... but there are other brands at this level which are probably just as good. Fully adjustable and able to connect to computer.

I'd recommend going to a Health and Fitness shop ... one that sells exercise equipment as their business. For example, I might be interested in something like this ... it's a semi-commercial spin bike with a reasonable brand name. Good seat adjustment but I'd be a little bit concerned about the apparent lack of handlebar adjustment. I would want to make sure the pedals could be changed to clipless. And the user weight limit is good.

The lack of handlebar adjustment and lack of ability to connect to a computer (PC) is probably the reason for its low price ($1,299.00), but if it fit and if I didn't need to adjust the handlebars, for another $150 or so, I could connect it to a computer (PC), so it might be worth it.

https://health-and-leisure-hobart.myshopify.com/collections/commercial-cardio-equipment/products/bodyworx-semi-commercial-spin-bike

47othrnazlvp.png

Meanwhile, this is my current setup. Option 2 from the list above. :)

4olmpmyh3q0v.png

Machka in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    <3
  • LisaInAR
    Thanks, Machka! I really appreciate the advice. :)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Trisha I have a spiralizer used it once I too love gadgets but they are usually stored in cupboard LOL

Kate UK <3