WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Barbara: What a scary road situation. I hope you will be safe! Glad you were able to get fuel before the road buckled.

Tracey: Your mom looks so young and happy. When my mom was in the nursing home, they made everyone stay in wheel chairs. I think my mom could have used a walker if they had pushed for it, but, didn’t happen.

Machka: Beautiful view of the ocean. Are the currents safe for swimming?

Allie: Your FnL is blessed to have you and Tom to look after him each day.

I tried doing a bit of floor exercise yesterday. Modified sit ups and leg stretching for knees. The knees didn't like the stretching this AM but I will persist as I need to strengthen the surrounding muscles.

Carol in GA
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    SpiralizersI have a Veggetti hand spiralizer that works great. It was cheap, I think $10 or so. I also have the spiralizer attachment for my KitchenAide mixer (a gift from hub). If it’s just me, I use the hand one. If it’s both of us, I drag out the attachments and use the power one. I’d start with a cheap hand one if I were you. Small and not much lost if you don’t like it/use it.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    edited February 2019
    Barbara scary!!!!!!!

I just got a spiralizer that is manual I have used it a couple of times so far. What we really use what a Presto salad shooter that is electric. It fine cuts veggies to cook fast and is great for soups. It also has a grader piece to grate cheese, carrots and zucchini. I think I like this best because I like having fresh graded cheese. I bought the spiralizer because we use the salad shooter so much. DH bought it online through Amazon. I didn't pay much for the spiralizer so I thought it was worth a try.

We do keep the salad shooter on the counter so it is ready to use. It can stain but baking soda or bleach takes that out. You do have to make sure you have clicked the pieces in place right too. It does have a plunger part so fingers get no where near the blades. DH already bought replacement parts because original blades got so dull from use. It takes up less room then a food processor. Just looked it up price varies from 30-50. Replacement blades about 4. No spirlaizer part. I have seen something similar but it not electric. I like the electric version.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    181820owp5oh.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :)Barbara we used to live in North Coastal CA not too far south of where you live in Oregon and experienced several bad road experiences that limited travel. It's a tough situation. Glad people have a good attitude about it.

:)Allie, getting to the gym in proper attire and doing something is a huge beginning. Just do it again tomorrow. Do you have something to read or watch or listen to while you use the treadmill? That will help pass the time and make it something you will be willing to do every day.

:)Heather, you are fortunate that your husband will dance with you. I took to line dancing because it was something I could do by myself. I tell people who ask me if my husband dances, "I don't make him dance, and he doesn't make me play golf."

:)Carol, congrats on getting started with exercises for your knees.

:) Our younger dog, Bessie, had her teeth cleaned yesterday. We missed her all day while she was gone. She came home sleepy from the anesthesia but by this morning was ready for her long walk. The toughest part for me was that she couldn't eat for 12 hours before the procedure so neither dog got breakfast. I felt like a terrible mean mother.

:) Jake is going out to lunch with a friend today so I'll have the house to myself for a few hours.

<3 Barbie from chilly NW WA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,724 Member
    Barbara - That would have been scary for anyone driving over it at the time.

Allie - good job on getting to the gym. Wise words to Tom regarding his Father.

NYKaren - I need to start doing those movements while I’m home. I find it so hard to find places to move in this tiny area.

Lisa - thank you for commenting on my Mom’s happiness. I don’t like treadmills either, I feel very dizzy on them.

Carol - my Mom will be 73 in May she is the youngest resident in this nursing home. At times she has been the only mobile resident. She has Alzheimer’s that seems to have slowed in progression since she has been in there. I truly believe that loneliness was a huge factor in the speed of her deterioration. I want to get home to see her soon. It’s so expensive to fly in Canada.

Margaret - my husband bought me a Presto Salad Shooter for Christmas in 1990, I used that thing almost daily until it died in the early 2000’s. I searched high and low for another one and was not able to find it, so have a TFal one now that is just not the same.

Barbie - what a great answer to people inquiring about your husband dancing. I need to look up some line dancing classes.

Well I have not done anything around the house yet this week, I think I need to do that today. I also need to figure out supper tonight for when the kids visit.

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    Barbara wow on the road! Be careful out there! I think Wicket got the message! Lol. My Brownie and Chewbacca know to move when I’m making the bed. Wicket never accepted my instructions. She’ll learn cause I fight back! Lol!

Allie kudos on the gym! Good for your nerves and mood too!

RV Rita
  • noegrand123
    noegrand123 Posts: 166 Member
    Hi all! Hope everyone having a great day. We traveled 4 hrs west yesterday to Kearney NE to see my Dad in hospital. Road recumbent bike at hotel last nite, duh, didn’t pay attention to brand but seat was much better than what I have at home!

Love the dog pics, everyone and for everyone battling family issues- so sorry! Hang in there! Get thru one day at a time and don’t sabotage your health! Best to all!!!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited February 2019
    Babrie -" I renewed my driver's license this morning. I had conjured up all sorts of stress in my head about it and knew that the only way to make the stress go away was to take care of the scary chore. It turned out to be no big deal--easy vision test, photo, write a check and go home. Now I am licensed to drive until 2025."

I have to renew mine this year also. In Oklahoma people over 65 no longer are charged for driver license. Nice surprise last time I had to renew it :)

Janetr OKC
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Hello,
    I just restarted my diet on Monday after having three different colds or flus since Christmas. Not sure but the last one was terrible. My doctor finally gave me an antibiotic!

I’m going to be 70 in a few weeks and I’m determined to do this. I’ve been hanging around 263 for months and summer is coming. Not only do I want to wear capris and short sleeved tops but I want to feel better in my skin!

I read a few pages back and Barbie in Southern Oregon the road was buckled up pretty bad!

Have a good day!
    <3 Dana in Arkansas
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Good to see you Dana! Keep checking in!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2019
    (((Michele))) :heart:

Karen in VA: Thanks for your good wishes for our trip to see the kids. DH has an appointment with his MS doctor soon. I hope there will be something that can be done to help him feel more comfortable and willing to travel. We will see what the doctor has to say. :star:

Machka: It sounds like your semester is off to a rollicking start. I hope things settle in soon. I hope that you and your DH are eventually able to participate in long distance rides again. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Thank you for your kind thoughts about our trip. I really don’t like the idea of leaving DH at home alone. We have an appointment with his MS doctor soon. We’ll talk it all over with the doctor and make our travel plans with his guidance. A care home would outrage DH and his sister is not able to cook food with the restrictions that are required. She’s of the “a little bit won’t hurt” school of cooking. :grumble: I hope you have been able to write. :heart:

Allie: Using the gym down the hall is a great idea. It is a good place to get moving without worry about weather or stranger-danger. :flowerforyou:

Yvonne: Thanks for your good wishes. :star:

Barbara: Yikes! Those roads are going to need significant work and I doubt they can be used as regular routes for a long while. I hope you and others in your area are able to get needed supplies while the work is getting done. :heart: I wouldn’t want to invite Mr. Bear or Mrs. Bear & the kids into my yard, either. :noway: DH has an appointment with his local doctor on Monday and his MS doctor on Tuesday. We should have enough information to make a good travel decision after the two appointments. I really think he is in “I don’t wanna go” mode but I also know he isn’t feeling great. :sad:

Rebecca: In years long-past we’ve been both over and under the Deception Pass Bridge. I think it is a beautiful bridge. :heart:

It was snowing but that stopped. The flakes were little and it didn't stick but it was pretty to watch. It is currently 35F on our deck. We have a thermometer out there and a monitor in the living room.

I am 99% alcohol free but had a little alcohol last night with DH as a celebration. My tummy is NOT a happy camper today. I won’t be going anywhere until it settles down. :ohwell:

Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • janetr7476
    Hello,
    I just restarted my diet on Monday after having three different colds or flus since Christmas. Not sure but the last one was terrible. My doctor finally gave me an antibiotic!

I’m going to be 70 in a few weeks and I’m determined to do this. I’ve been hanging around 263 for months and summer is coming. Not only do I want to wear capris and short sleeved tops but I want to feel better in my skin!

I read a few pages back and Barbie in Southern Oregon the road was buckled up pretty bad!

Have a good day!
    <3 Dana in Arkansas

Good to see you kiddo. I've really been wondering about you, glad to see you are doing well. I also will turn 70 this year, in November, oh goodness lol

How is your daughter in Florida doing?

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Warning: Rant to follow:

To say I am livid right now is an understatement. I had authorized our prescription company to refill my sleeping pill as I still had one refill left on it from Dr. Davis. They will not refill it because Dr. Davis no longer is in their group because she moved to California. I asked even though there's a refill on it? I cannot see the new doctor because his wife died and he's out of the office until March 20th therefore I will be without sleeping pills for 5 to 6 weeks. I have not done that in 20 years. Perhaps I'll decide I don't need them at all. I slept for 6.5 hours last night, for the first time in weeks. According to my Fitbit I average 4-4.5 hours per night. But two nights this week Fitbit registered just under 2 hours, so good that I got 6.5 hours last night. I told both prescription supplier and Doctor's office that it's a good thing it's not a med I cannot live without. Why is someone not aware of this kind of situation and make the patient aware. My previous doctor specifically told me that with the one refill she put on the script that I'd be fine until my appointment with the new doctor. Her office even scheduled my appointment with the new doctor which is not until June. Arrgh

Janetr OKC
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    It's No-Brainer Day!

"A 'no-brainer' is something that is simple and easy to figure out, or obvious and logical. The phrase started as engineering jargon, became popular in 1990s and 2000s, and is now common in business environments. The day is for doing 'no-brainer' activities -- for doing things that are easy and obvious. Conversely, the day is not for doing things that require a lot of thinking and study." I'm going to celebrate it by tackling some no-brainer tasks related to decluttering my office!

Suebdew - My husband says I mumble too, but I can't imagine it's any worse than he does!

Barbara - Wow, hope nobody was driving that section of road when it happened!

Allie - Your father-in-law is very lucky to have you in his life.

Rebecca - So happy you heard from your sailor! It must be hard for both of you to be so far apart.

I called the rural transit office this morning and found that I could take a bus from Taylor to Austin. I'd need to start walking to the station around 12:30 for a 1:15 departure, and the bus would take me to downtown Austin around 3:15. Then I'd have to catch the next metro rail up to almost the end of its line, then wait around for Philip to pick me up. All this for an event that doesn't start until 7 p.m. However, he just now messaged me that he has a slow day and can take off at 2, so he's going to come home and we'll drive back in together. This is a good example of why so few people in central Texas use public transit.

I was up a couple of pounds this morning despite all the walking yesterday - I suspect salt is the culprit. I'll be sure to stay hydrated today and we'll see what the scale says tomorrow.

Wishing you all a fabulous day!

-Yvonne in TX
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Just had DH favourite meal roast lamb, boiled potatoes and mushy peas. I had lots of other veggies as well, yummy :)

Kate UK <3
  • noegrand123
    noegrand123 Posts: 166 Member
    Janetr- very very frustrating! Will keep u in prayers!

Karen may u have a day of peace and fond memories! I lost my mom 38 years ago! I understand! It’s tough! We battle on!