Pea Protein Powder

dws00
dws00 Posts: 159 Member
Has anyone had good or bad results from using pea protein powder such as, Naked Pea? Trying to cut back on dairy. Thank you!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Its just a protein supplement. What are you trying to get from it? Weight loss comes from calories.

If you are concerned about stimulating protein synthesis, than its inferior to whey or casien proteins.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    If I had a medical or ethical reason to avoid dairy based PP, I would use pea protein. Since I don't, and I don't like the taste as much, I use whey.
  • 80sSynthwave
    80sSynthwave Posts: 25 Member
    Maybe in the coming years it will become a more refined product, but right now the absorbtion rate is very low and liable to irritate your stomach if taken in the right quantity to match what you would absorb through whey.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I have not tried the pea protein I bought because it has an unappealing smell.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    I know I’m late to the party here....
    I started using Smart 138 Pea Protein Powder this month. I bought the unflavored but next time will get the chocolate. The one I have tastes absolutely nasty but I’ve been experimenting with different natural sweeteners & it’s getting better. I love that it has no sugar & the ONLY ingredient is peas. It’s so much healthier for you. From a health standpoint, it’s definitely the best option I’ve found. I use either water or one of my homemade hemp, coconut or oat milks.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    My go-to protein powder. I get it from the bulk store. 90% protein, no lactose, and I happen to like peas. I make it into a cashew milk smoothie with frozen banana and blueberries whenever I feel I’m falling short on protein consumption.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    I don't like the taste (and I like peas). It really does need to be sweetened in my opinion.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    I like it. I use the Evolve shakes because they taste just like Premier Protein. Some of the powders do have a weird taste so it might depend what you mix it with.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I've used pea protein powder. I eat a lot of different foods, so I can't say I saw any results that were directly attributable to the protein powder (except getting more protein).
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I use pea protein in my food such as Belgian waffles, homemade protein bars and I mix it in my oatmeal etc.

I find it cooks well and provides a nice protein boost for some of my meals, plus I can't even taste it.