Weight Training for women - free programs?

Lifting is one exercise that I really enjoy. After a really stressful year, I’m looking to get back into it. Can anyone recommend a program for women that they’ve followed and had success with? I’m looking to put in 3 days per week at the gym. My goals are to build strength and muscle, lose fat and inches. (Yes I know it’s 90% diet and I’m working on that, too!)
Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i use the muscle and strength - 3 day a week dumbbell only plan - its been successful for me, mostly as a supplement to the other training

but i would browse that site and take a look at other plans
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I liked Stronglifts 5X5 for a beginner program. You can download the app for free and it tracks all your lifts and weights for you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    I'm very happy with Strong Curves.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5. It's free, easy to follow, and the website has really great detailed information about correct form.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I did NROL Strong, it's a book it isn't free but it's 3 day full body and it's a solid program for lifting and losing some fat too, it isn't expensive at all. I didn't care for Stronglifts 5x5, the workouts were too short. If that is what you need, go for it.

I'm going to do the Strong Curves advanced program next, we got it for free but not really? DH had Scribd and we downloaded it, it was a free trial so it was free, but behind a subscription wall. Just to spend a few months focusing on physique for a while.

I'm considering Stephanie Buttermore's advanced women's program after that, we'll see how I feel. It is a paid program though. Or I may do a NROL plan again.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I started with Stronglifts then did NROLFW. Now I follow an upper/lower split focused on training for powerlifting.
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    I like the Jefit app. There are several different beginner workouts that you can use or follow their ideas and make a custom plan.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Another vote for Strong Curves. You'll want to get the book to properly follow but I got it second hand on Amazon for pretty cheap.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Just finished PHUL at the end of the year and started Strong Curves at the beginning of the year. Love them both.
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Fitbod is hands down the best app and the only app you will need. There’s a free trial, highly recommend. Voted number one app by Men’s Magazine this January. I’ve been using it for a few months now and their gifs on how to do the workouts have helped me learn so much and feel confident in the weight room. The app uses machine learning so it knows which muscles are sore and updates daily workout based on that.