WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    edited February 2019
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka,you really know your way around bikes, I see. I’d need to find something where I nearly sit bolt upright. I have discs T10 through S1 fused, and it makes it very hard to lean or bend forward from the waist for long. Perhaps a bike wouldn’t be best for me. I always had to have “set backs” put on the handlebars of the motorcycle. The picture of the beach is lovely. It’s probably high summer now, isn’t it? Or is it shading into autumn already?
    Sharon … full and happy and hydrated … Near Seattle

Today is the last day of summer. :neutral: March 1 is the beginning of autumn. However that said, tomorrow is supposed to be 35C (95F) and Saturday is supposed to be 37C (98.6F) ... a beautiful start to autumn!! :)

I have been a cyclist since I was about 4 years old ... so approx. 48 years now.

ain40k44yu1k.png

I grew up in a cycling family and our house was always full of bicycles, cycling magazines, and cycling stuff.

My interest in cycling died off a bit between the ages of about 17 and 23, but then on April 29, 1990, I started cycling again and haven't stopped since.

In 2003, I met my husband on a very long distance ride in France called the Paris-Brest-Paris. We got to know each other on several other long distance rides in Australia, North America and Europe.

We were married in 2008 ... we cycled a century (100 miles) and were then married on dock on a lake in the mountains.

When I moved to Australia in 2009, my husband and I carried on the tradition of cycling and a house full of bicycles. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    I face March with mixed feelings.
    I like March because it is my birth month.
    But now, it's also the anniversary of the accident.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited February 2019
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Oh ... I use ellipsis a lot and I guess incorrectly. My son was quite perturbed with me over the weekend for using them in a text??? So if I offend with them ... sorry ... :D
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Morning, afternoon, and evening all...

Yes, I too use ellipses. They create the spaces where I would pause in conversation, and I write very much the same way I talk. I don't use them in business docs at all, so I know it's a personal foible. Beth, you can tell your son for me that criticizing his mama's grammar is a much bigger faux pas than any ellipsis ever has been. He needs to get over himself.
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I use ellipses when I'm typing conversationally :) but not in formal documents. There, I'll use "em" dashes.

So, I would rewrite the following sentence:

We were married in 2008 ... we cycled a century (100 miles) and were then married on dock on a lake in the mountains.

As:

We were married in 2008 -- we cycled a century (100 miles) and were then married on dock on a lake in the mountains.

Actually, because most of my formal writing is in technical documents, I'd probably form that sentence as:

We were married in 2008.
    • we cycled a century (100 miles)
    • we were married on dock on a lake in the mountains.

But here, we're casual ... so I'll use as many ellipses as I feel like ............ !! :smiley:

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    beth............

Suspenseful ;) .....

Long work day ahead, social and stressful, I will keep you all in my pocket and not beat myself up as I am want to do when insecure around others :s

February flew by, March will trudge by I’m afraid, but I’m looking forward to a fresh start barbie <3<3

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    I like these ... beautiful!
    My favourite flower ... wild roses
    My birthstone ... aquamarine

Would anyone like to get them for me?? :):):)

2vzfceu6o73q.png
    WILD ROSE silver enamel earrings with frosted Aquamarine
    AU$588.58

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited February 2019
    Machka, I like you and all... but that translates to $420 in US terms, and that's pretty much a mortgage payment, so no. :) They are truly beautiful, though. I think they'd be even more amazing with a fire opal or a ruby in the center, but I love color. My birthstone's a boring old diamond. :disappointed:

Making some decisions on my future that I've been putting off this morning... for those who follow my blog on Facebook, I've taken down my Coffee and Egg page on Facebook, and will eventually take down the blog itself, when I have time to go through and pick out any posts that I feel are worth saving. I'm still back and forthing on my home reno blog and my personal website that's basically been a parking site for my books, but when the bill rolls around to keep those alive in March/April timeframe, they may disappear with little fanfare, as well, or at a minimum be carved back sharply.

This being the Internet, they'll be archived somewhere. Not sure what's next yet--I'll let the writing take me where it goes.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    //
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Lisa- I will miss your blog! Gotta do what works for you, though! <3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Thanks for educating me! I had no idea that those ... had a special name! :)
  • Machka9
    A question for the ladies ...

This blog: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/31-ways-to-reduce-stress-in-your-life/ provides 31 ways to reduce stress in your life.

My life is fairly high stress, so I thought I would take a moment to glance through the list.

Some are all right like 1. Go outside. Fresh air and nature have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety. Yes, I find that walking down to the beach after work is something that helps.

But most of the rest add things to a person's schedule. Yes, I'm a little bit cynical here.

4. Get a massage. ... Who has the time??

6. Take that well-earned vacation. Right. I'll get right on that.

12. Rekindle an old hobby like drawing, knitting or woodworking. Like I need more things to do!

16. Take a walk during your lunch break. To my next appointment.

19. Unclutter your desk and your home. I'm still looking for someone to hire to do that.

But then I wondered ... what 31 things (and some can be from that list) would actually reduce stress without adding more Things To Do to the list?

Like, for example, I use lavender oil drops on my pillow case. Does lavender actually help relaxation and sleep? Not sure. But it smells nice and it's not stressing me out to do that.

Other ideas?

Machka in Oz ... who might move this to the March thread starting soon.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :D
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    <3
  • classic2o
    classic2o Posts: 71 Member
    There are several items on my happiness commandments list that might qualify as stress reducers:
    *Don't take things personally
    *Lighten up
    *Do it now
    *Stay in the moment
    *Act the way you want to feel
    *Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    *Don't expect praise or recognition
    *It is what it is

Following along quietly behind the scenes. Thank you @barbiecat.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    j2icykjlcffh.jpeg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Machka: Swimming in sewage is not a good thing. It is a shame they haven’t found a better way to deal with it. We took our boat up to the San Juan and Gulf Islands many years ago and there were a couple of little towns in BC that used to pump their raw sewage out into the water. Sometimes the tides pushed it back in. YUCK! :ohwell: Re stress relief: Yoga is a help for me, and so is choosing a fun activity when there is time. Riding bikes as you’ve done is also a great choice. We have recumbents on trainers out in the garage, but I have to admit they haven’t been used in too long. I would walk on the beach if I was in your location. Good luck. :heart:

Dana: Sending good wishes to your daughter. :flowerforyou:

(((Barbara))) Good wishes for you and all your neighbors. I hope essential foods are available and so is safe water. It seems like the Coast Guard could fly in foods and supplies by helicopter if needed. :heart:

KJ: I still have Doctor Seuss books on my shelves from the days my kids were little. I’ll bet they have them on their shelves, too. If they don’t, I know what their kids will be getting as gifts from Grandma. :star: I love the ideas that classic2o has posted.

Yoga today!!!!! I need it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon