Losing weight by diet change only.

Has anyone here had any success with losing weight only changing your diet and not exercising?

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    nisie3 wrote: »
    Has anyone here had any success with losing weight only changing your diet and not exercising?

Yes. 70lbs so far. But, see the quote below - I changed my diet by eating less calories, not radically changing the type of food I eat. I do try to choose slightly "healthier" things for some meals these days, but I by no means eat what a lot of people might call a "healthy diet"!
    apullum wrote: »
    If by "changing your diet" you mean eating fewer calories and making sure you're in a calorie deficit, then yes, many people have done that. You don't have to exercise to create a calorie deficit; you only need to eat fewer calories than your body burns. However, simply making dietary changes without being in a calorie deficit will not cause weight loss.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    nisie3 wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks so much for letting me know. It seems like everyone is telling me I have to go to the gym daily for weight loss and I thought it was more about having a caloric deficit. Thanks again!

You can achieve a caloric deficit in one of 3 ways:
    • Eat less
    • Move more
    • Both

While I personally find I'm happier when I do both, you can definitely lose weight by calorie reduction alone.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    I just had my annual physical and my doctor said when it comes to weight loss it's 80% food restriction and 20% exercise.

For me it was 100% food intake/creating the correct calorie deficit by adjusting how much I was eating. You can approach weight loss a few different ways, but at the end of the day it comes down to CICO.