Good Morning America piece on Keto Vs WW?

amfmmama
amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
I am just curious if anyone else saw this. I am not doing WW or Keto, but waited to see the segment on GMA the other day. I thought it was incredibly biased. It basically said that Keto is a fad and WW will prevail.... and Oprah, Oprah, Oprah. The only positive comment was at the end one of the hosts, said in passing, I do have a lot of friends who have done well on Keto. I don't know, it just seemed like an advertisement for WW.

See it? Thoughts?

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    One of the wire services reported that Oprah lost $39 million based on WW's Q4 earnings. I'm guessing there will be a media campaign to start making up that loss...

This is my thought as well. WW stock took a huge dive earlier this week so I'm sure the segment was a paid-for promotion by WW.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    I can see it both ways, Keto seems like a fad but it's also been around for a while in the form of Atkins, Sugarbusters, South Beach, ect. They probably praised WWs (aside from the Oprah factor) because you can eat whatever you want as long as you account for it which may make it easier for some to follow and stick with it long term. Eliminating certain foods from one's diet may not be as easy as it sounds. Just my opinion for what its worth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    2wise4u wrote: »
    I can see it both ways, Keto seems like a fad but it's also been around for a while in the form of Atkins, Sugarbusters, South Beach, ect. They probably praised WWs (aside from the Oprah factor) because you can eat whatever you want as long as you account for it which may make it easier for some to follow and stick with it long term. Eliminating certain foods from one's diet may not be as easy as it sounds. Just my opinion for what its worth.

Don't know what Sugarbusters is, but Atkins and South Beach weren't keto diets. Phase I of SB is very low carb, but it is only for a short period of time before you move into phase II and reintroduce carbohydrates and from there it's more of a whole foods, balanced diet approach. Atkins was a high protein low carb diet and also had a carb reintroduction phase.

Keto is very high fat, low carb, and modest protein to maintain ketosis and you don't reintroduce carbs ever unless you want to get out of ketosis. It's been around forever as a medical diet for epilepsy...as a weight loss diet, it's definitely a fad at the moment...it's like all you hear about on FB and other social media and everyone and their cousin is doing it and all kinds of outlandish claims are being made from curing cancer to you name it. It's in full on cult status right now.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Can't blame it all on keto.

Rebranding didn't help. The new Freestyle program is not working for many members so they left. There's a plethora of free apps (hello MFP!), including one that allows you to do prior WW plans for free (some of which worked better than Freestyle according to users). Their Connect feature changed posting rules, and a few of the popular kids decided to leave over that. Plus weight loss surgery.

WW just isn't the first or only option, and they're changing too much to often.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I think WW value is down about 30%.

It works for some. I tried if after my first kid. Lost about 10lbs in 3 months, but u was hungry all the time. Keto lowered my appetite and it is a free woe. For people like me, WW isnt worth the money.
    Ymmv
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Oprah is a big reason why Dr. Oz is so popular. No thanks...

Dr. Oz.... wish the douche bag would ride a tornado back home! Always selling quackery.....
  • rgg71
    rgg71 Posts: 31 Member
    WW vs Keto
    Only one of these is a 'commercial' diet, the other one comes for free!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I can see Keto being the "now" thing! Yes.........many lose on Keto and with successes!!! But....once you want to go back to pasta,rice,pizza is that weight gonna return 2 fold?! I have seen it happen in paleo as well as atkins.
    Would it not be better to not forbid any food group and adapt in reasonable amounts?
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    When Oprah was still running, wasnt it on ABC? Stands to reason that ABC and Oprah still have ties. Both would have something to gain for success of WW, since their stock is plummeting.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    I really don't have an informed opinion on either. I just didn't like how biased it was. Do what works for you!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    They are both strategies to lose weight. I think they are both perfectly fine if you like the foods and feel good. Diets aren’t a religion.... there’s not one right one to believe in.