WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    (((Rebecca))): You’re worried about your health. Have you seen a doctor yet? That is a good first step. A sit down bp thingy at the gym is a good way to make the decision to see the doctor, but not good enough for a medical diagnosis. :heart:

Betsy in NW WA: Good luck with your legal issue. :flowerforyou:

MariMcKeon: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Stop by often. :bigsmile:

Machka: Thank you for sharing the March is Brain Injury Awareness Month link. :star:

Tracy in Edmonton: Stay warm!!!

I had a lovely time at yoga this morning, and also burned some calories on an exercise machine. Nothing is on the calendar for tomorrow, but I have a riding lesson on Sunday. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve included my March Resolutions this time and the HALT Stress questions. The months change, but the resolutions stay the same. I keep them because they work for me. Halt Stress steps are helpful in my life, especially with a medically complicated DH.
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

March 2019 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow. done
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina. done
    3. Have fun every day. Done 90% of days
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day. done
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly. done
    6. Avoid alcohol. Done 95% of days

Halt Stress :

1. Am I hungry?
    2. Am I angry?
    3. Am I lonely?
    4: Am I tired?

For any yes answer, there are practical ways to help yourself. If I am hungry, I eat. If I am angry I can find a way to address the problem that caused anger. If I’m lonely, I can chat with this wonderful group, or DH, or call a friend. If I’m tired I can rest or sleep. It doesn’t make life perfect, but it sure helps smooth out some bumps.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It took me a while to come up with some fitness/exercise goals for 2019 because my goals were all shattered last year when my husband had a bad accident in March. But here it is!!

Half marathon in January ... Done!! :)

Gradually build up cycling distance ticking off milestone distances along the way. The goal behind this is to build a solid base for further long distances and events in 2020.
    50 km
    75 km
    100 km
    125 km
    160 km (100 miles)

Get back to climbing 20+ flights of stairs at least 4 days each week. I work in a 10-storey building, and can climb 10 flights in the morning, and 10 flights in the afternoon ... plus extras if I want.

Walk (or run or hike ... basically move by foot) more than last year.
    These are my walking/running/hiking totals for the past few years ... so ... more than 1357.1 km in 2019 would be good. I would add more running event goals, but I'll have to wait and see what happens with my back and hip.
    • 2018 - 1357.1 km
    • 2017 - 1302.52 km
    • 2016 - 1133.02 km
    • 2015 - 1131.7 km

And build some upper body & core strength + improving flexibility.

I would really like to get on a rowing machine this winter ... I think I'm just going to have to break down and buy one!

As for the other things ...

Work: is a bit of a priority right now because as of the end of November, and opportunity for a bit of advancement came up. Not that I'm moving into a new position, but that I have the opportunity to learn and do a lot more in the area I wanted to learn and do.

Uni: is a continued priority because I finally feel like I'm closing in on my Master's degree. I've been taking one course per semester (including some spring/summer courses) since Feb 2015 and have completed 10 of the 16 courses to get that degree. Along the way I've completed a Grad Certificate (4 courses), and a Grad Diploma (another 4 courses) and the first 2 official Master's Courses. I'm in my 11th course now, so the count down is on. It's been a dream of mine to get a Master's degree since I was in high school.

Home & Life: this is all about my husband's brain injury, and it takes up quite a bit of my time. I am possibly a bit too much like a "mother bear" and I am trying to let go a bit, but then something happens and the mother bear appears again. Anyway, this means I attend all important appointments with him and the first appointments of ongoing issues (like when he goes to physio - I go to the first appointment with a new physio, then he goes to the rest on his own), so it can be rather time consuming.

I'm also trying to organise paperwork. That's probably the simplest way to describe a rather overwhelming task. I've taken over everything my husband did plus I'm trying to get on top of all the paperwork things I've been meaning to do for about the last decade.

Fitness: we're long distance cyclists and are active members in our long distance cycling club. Sometimes the "work" there eases up a bit for a few weeks, and then we have a flurry of activity.

And of course, along with this are the fitness goals above as we move back into long distance cycling after a disastrous last 3/4 of 2018.

Recreation: All the things that fall into recreation (stress relief, creativity, taking time for myself, etc.) are backburner things. Things I squeeze into my schedule if I've got an extra 10 minutes somewhere.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    morning ladies~
    i am up but didnt go the the gym, i work today and will come home and do stuff around the house and get to the gym then.. I am still very frustrated and will have to change things up because I am not losing the weight ,just not.. i started at 210.4- im down to 197.6 and as far down as 195.. but goodness gracious I track everything on both here and carb manager.. and its just nuts .. oh well.. not giving up...
    we are getting snow today, and then snow sunday afternoon into monday possibly a foot.. oh swell..
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,598 Member
    Good morning! Happy Saturday!
    Was yesterday a pizza holiday? We were at friends house still helping out. They provided pizza hut pizza. I hadn't had that in years. I pigged out. Oops. Too much salt in one day. Water today! My scale isn't broken, it went up today-lol! I know it is water retention.

Rebecca- just like the other ladies said, get yourself to doctor to get that checked. Good job in using machine, but doctor office more reliable.

I am heading to Cincinnati to watch youngest granddaughter in her competition dance. I am thankful the snow is holding off.

Welcome to the new ladies!
    Congratulations to all!
    Hugs to all because I love giving them!
    Thank you all for being here.

Off to get some work done before work.

<3
    Kylia in grey Ohio

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    My birthday (today) gift to me is a wahoo heart rate monitor. What an eye-opener. Tallied 248 fewer calories burned than the MFP estimates. Unh.

I usually choose the light/low/slow choices with exercise on MFP ... even when I feel like I've gone faster or put in more effort.

M in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    <3
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Allie - I don't have Pip's boot, but seriously, step away from the scale for a little while if it's making you frustrated! You're doing really well... but your body just needs time to adjust to the new regimen and release the weight. It will, but it won't do it on a straight downward line, my dear. Just keep doing what you're doing and remember you're doing it for you, not just that number on the scale. Please note - this is from experience, I'm a scale-watcher too, and get horribly frustrated when it doesn't move. The only way I survive it is to note the number, but stretch out my "official" weigh-in dates as long as one month to the next if I have to. Our habit here of moving from one thread to the next is helpful with that. Hang in there, kiddo.

Kylia - so glad Aubrey got through her surgery OK. She's a tough little one!

Welcome to the new ladies, we're glad you're here!

Machka - I've settled on the rower as well, rather than a rower AND a bike for home use. The bikes should start showing up at yard sales/tag sales/garage sales in about April, when everyone that bought one for their New Year's resolution gets tired of seeing them with clothes hung all over them, making them feel guilty! :smiley: In fact, I went ahead and ordered my choice this morning. I've read every review I can find, and satisfied with this one. Magnetic, so it's quiet, stands up rather than folds up (one less thing to go wrong), and the reviews all note that it feels solid, not wobbly. We'll see...

The arctic blast is hitting us somewhere between Sunday night and Monday morning, as well, it's stretching all the way from the Mexico border well up into Canada, as Tracey noted. We're expecting temps below freezing only at night, though--which tells me that, once again, we picked the right place. Northwest Arkansas will get hit much harder, we're in what's called the River Valley area, near the Arkansas River, and temperatures average at least ten degrees warmer than the northwest corner of the state, which is only an hour's drive away. Hopefully, my husband's new fruit trees survive! I asked him if he wanted to cover them with some plastic or something, and he muttered something to the effect of, "No, they need to tough it out. If they can't survive a little cold weather, they won't survive here anyway."

March is definitely coming in like a lion! Hopefully, it will go out like a little lamb... :wink:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Lisa- I know I know....I do it like once a week and it's just frustrating.. not going to give up, feeling much better ..and I know I'm losing inches so not gonna give up .. I'm sure alot of it is age and hormones.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Happy Birthday Barbara!!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited March 2019
    Barbara Can't thank you enough for that retirement information.
    And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! t3337.gif

Yvonne I posted that Shel Silverstein quote on the last day of the February thread, so I'll post it again here...I'm glad you enjoyed it. It posted it because Kelly mentioned Shel Silverstein:

"Underneath my outside face
    There's a face that none can see.
    A little less smiley,
    A little less sure,
    But a whole lot more like me.”

― Shel Silverstein, Every Thing on It

Karen in Virginia
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Morning All, and thank you for the welcome! This seems like a great group!
    Meeting two of my old running buddies for a great long walk this morning - I blew my knee right before St. Jude in December and my 2 partners went on to complete that race. One was in so much pain at mile 11 that she almost stopped, but went on to finish the half. Turns out she was running on a femoral stress fracture and is just now done with PT and cleared for activity. We all decided to begin slowly and work our way back sensibly.
    - MariM, Great job on the 30# loss There is a great YouTube Launchpad series using seated exercise for those with limited mobility. See what you think. Just look up Launchpad Beginner Stage 1.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Allie - Are you using a food scale to weigh all your food and beverages? If your not, try that to be sure you aren’t eating more than you think. Measuring cups and spoons are deceitful little suckers. That said, Lisa is right. The scale will go up and down repeatedly which is so very frustrating.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    BARBARA: Happy Birthday :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    edited March 2019
    Barbara Happy Birthday :flowerforyou:

Tracey feel your pain! Today I am going to do some slide shows of flower pictures to remember spring and summer are coming!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :)Allie, the scale is only one way to measure your progress. Give yourself "credit" for following your eating plan without exception, walking a certain number of steps, going to the gym, drinking the amount of water you've set for a goal, getting to bed on time, taking time for spiritual renewal, and other practices that will add to your success on your journey to health.

:)Suzu, going for a walk with friends sounds like a great plan and a way to get back to the activity level you want to reach.

:) About the dentist---I had to cancel my appointment with the periodontist for my teeth cleaning in September when I injured my back and couldn't sit for long. I finally got around to calling to reschedule. I didn't want to go and I was embarrassed about waiting so long. I have all my teeth thanks to regular dental care, but I hate it and dread it.

:)Barbara, I lived in Eureka, CA on US 101 for over 30 years and we had road issues like the one you're having now. It took years and a zillion dollars to fix issues like the one in your picture or to find another place to build the road so it wouldn't happen again. Thanks for sharing the video.

<3 Barbie in beautiful NW WA