WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Replies

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Happy birthday Barbara. What a video! Hope you have a super day and a year filled with good health and good times.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Barbara insert dancing puppies wearing birthday hats in your honor here! Happy birthday!!!

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    YO peeps

happy bday auntiebk!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    M in OZ: I admire all that you accomplish and I’m delighted that your DH is doing so well. :star: Your photo at the beach gives me season envy. We have frost on the lawn this morning. People to the north & east of us have much more challenging weather than we have had so far this year. The landslide at the southern Oregon coast is our state’s biggest challenge other than the fires in the western US and Canada that we had a couple of years ago. :cry:

Allison: I haven’t paid attention to carb manager because my best dietary practice is high protein & high fat with lower carbs. The basic pie chart here at MFP is adequate for me. I’m happiest when protein, carbs, and fat are close to equal thirds with carbs being the narrowest segment. Everyone is different and we each need to manage things so that we feel healthy and happy. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: Happy Birthday! :star:

(((Margaret))) I’m sure this winter will be remembered for a very long time. :heart:

Best wishes to all of you who are in the snow zone and the landslide zone. It looks like the construction business will be in full work mode as soon as the weather allows.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Barbara! Happy 29th yet again! <3<3 Wow, impressive drone video of poor ole Hwy 101. A couple weeks ago DH and I watched a show about a road in the UK thru the mountains that was finally abandoned because it was built on unstable soil. They kept fixing it for decades and finally gave up - hikers and bicyclers can use it. I'm sure OR road engineers are really scratching their heads.

Thanks for mentioning checking out Medicare insurance plans on Medicare.gov, I'd forgotten about that. Counties often have different plans available for whatever reason. In our rural county we didn't have a lot of selection like folks in King County do, for example. I remember the Medicare.gov plan listing gave an estimated cost per year which I thought wasn't very accurate but then I didn't look into it much. Probably gives a good ball-park tho.

Rebecca
    - that homeless thing is so sad, I think there are many reasons folks end up like that. A mini rant here, lol.....
    There's a Gospel Mission in our area that's always requesting tents, sleeping bags, little packages of food for the homeless. I thought that was a great thing until friends of ours who own undeveloped property near the freeway found several dumpsters worth of that abandoned gear plus the filthy human waste that goes with it. They are also trashing the local settler's cemeteries in a similar manner and leaving their needles and messes. Many of us older folks are exasperated as to where the line is between heartfelt charity and enabling - something many families face all the time.

A county near us abandoned the needle exchange program and if our county commissioners decided to adopt it, they'd get voted out quickly. Hence the druggies are encouraged to head elsewhere (we still have plenty I'm afraid) and seem to end up in the Seattle area.

Our county does have some bad weather sleeping quarters available in the winter and the Salvation Army is developing shower/clean up facilities, not sure if that's available yet. There are jobs becoming available for those who want to and are able to work. I don't think the homeless problem can be cured, the goal is to keep it managed and that's not going to happen overnight in our area.

For those of you starting out with hand and/or ankle weights, I highly recommend the Strong Women Stay Young book which instructs on how to start with light weights and gradually move up to the "heavy" range which may only be 10 or 12 pounds, or less. And it may take several months. Many of them can be done seated.

The other thing I like, and what has helped me stick with it, is to keep a log (which the book talks about), plus I mark the days I have done my workout on a calendar. Love to leaf through the calendar, what a feeling of accomplishment. The book has a good example of a log, plus I made my own on an Excel spreadsheet that I keep by my weights, and mark down everything as I complete each exercise. If anyone is interested in seeing it, let me know and I'll put a copy on here.

I had little weights around for decades but never had a plan. Had light ankle weights - a pound or two - that I'd strap on when I walked (maybe once a month if that!) but never understood the benefit of using them doing exercises... Reps, sets, and all that. For me, that's what has made the difference using the weights and getting results.

OK ladies, I have tomatoes germinating this morning. Need to get them under grow lights before they get too leggy.

Lanette
    Chilly & sunny SW WA State
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Darn - I just had a really long post, and I don't know what happened, it disappeared. I even tried the "undo" button, but that didn't work.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    Lanette we had a homeless camp along one of freeways last summer. A couple people died in them from overdoses.

Rents that people can afford are harder to find. Part of the cost of rents going so high is the price to build, to maintain property, and pay property taxes is going up, too. Vicious cycle. On the news they had a school teacher living out of a van in Oakland California because she could not afford to buy or rent.

:heart: Margaret

• suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    We made a good 5 mile trek of it this morning and kept a good pace. Resolution to do this or something active with my friends at least once a week! Between work and family need to carve out some time to take care of me body and soul.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited March 2019
    Allie - It took me 18 months to lose 57 lbs. I considered that good progress. More than a pound a week is stupendous. Towards the end it was a pound a month. The good news is, because I took so long to lose it I developed good habits and have kept that weight off for over 5 years.
    It has to be a lifestyle you can live with FOR THE REST OR YOUR LIFE. Not just for a few months. Find a way to eat and exercise that you can love for ever and ever. That should include fun and celebrations.

Barbara - A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! <3

Went for my run today. :Do:) It was cold and windy, but I did it. Next Saturday my son is going to pick me up so we can run the Parkrun together. My DDIL is going to be the back marker with the kids! I will be only a few places from the back! :o:|
    Then on the Sunday they want us to look after the kids while my son does a big training run in the morning. Delighted. DDIL is going to see a friend who is going through a difficult divorce.

Did a HUGE stir fry this evening to use up the guinea fowl. Masses of veggies. Heaven!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,746 Member
    edited March 2019
    Katla ... I have seen those homes made from shipping containers and tiny homes on TV as well. I know that I live in more house than I need, but those options seem awfully small. I do like the idea of not being burdened by astronomical mortgages and taxes!

Today I'm working on decluttering in the basement. I'm overwhelmed by stuff. We're not hoarders but we have too much! This really needs to be the year we start getting rid of things.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Thanks ladies! I will see a gyno doctor on 7th, and make them take it the old fashioned way!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    (((Rebecca))): You’re worried about your health. Have you seen a doctor yet? That is a good first step. A sit down bp thingy at the gym is a good way to make the decision to see the doctor, but not good enough for a medical diagnosis. :heart:

Betsy in NW WA: Good luck with your legal issue. :flowerforyou:

MariMcKeon: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Stop by often. :bigsmile:

Machka: Thank you for sharing the March is Brain Injury Awareness Month link. :star:

Tracy in Edmonton: Stay warm!!!

I had a lovely time at yoga this morning, and also burned some calories on an exercise machine. Nothing is on the calendar for tomorrow, but I have a riding lesson on Sunday. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve included my March Resolutions this time and the HALT Stress questions. The months change, but the resolutions stay the same. I keep them because they work for me. Halt Stress steps are helpful in my life, especially with a medically complicated DH.
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

March 2019 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow. done
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina. done
    3. Have fun every day. Done 90% of days
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day. done
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly. done
    6. Avoid alcohol. Done 95% of days

Halt Stress :

1. Am I hungry?
    2. Am I angry?
    3. Am I lonely?
    4: Am I tired?

For any yes answer, there are practical ways to help yourself. If I am hungry, I eat. If I am angry I can find a way to address the problem that caused anger. If I’m lonely, I can chat with this wonderful group, or DH, or call a friend. If I’m tired I can rest or sleep. It doesn’t make life perfect, but it sure helps smooth out some bumps.

I love the comments about stress! That is my evil nemis!

RV Rita