WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    Meg;
    I’m on my phone so this is short but when I’ve done the best is when it’s a habit. So for me that’s read at breakfast or lunch( or both) on the computer and comment then, and log food from my phone. The big trick for me is that logging and reading/commenting needs to not be on a to do list but automatic like brushing teeth
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Barbara How did you figure out Thrivent's premiums are lower? Did an agent help you or did you talk to an endless number of representatives from different companies to get quotes? (gag)

(((Meg))) Glad you popped in! Give us some more information so we can help you with the self-sabotage problem.

Karen in Virginia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    bwcetc: I doubt the tiny homes would get by without property tax in our area. We do not have sales tax except on alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana. The city and county would need an income stream for tiny homes to work. :star:

Rita: I think stress is something most of us experience in life, no matter how much we try to do everything we can to get rid of of the things that cause it. The Halt Stress strategy that I mentioned helps with that. It doesn’t make things perfect, but it gives us a practical way to make them a little better. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Beautiful family photo! :smiley:

(((Meg))): It is so good to see you! Advice—post here every day for friendship and support. You are not alone! Log every bite and swallow. Get some cardio exercise. Walking is a good starting point, even if it has to be on a treadmill due to outside weather conditions. See whether the halt stress questions can help you improve things a little bit. :heart:

We went through DH’s nutrition bars with a finer look at ingredients and will be donating many of them to the food bank. They’re all healthy and nutritious, but some of them include foods that DH can’t digest. It is better to give them away than throw them away.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Halt Stress :

1. Am I hungry?
    2. Am I angry?
    3. Am I lonely?
    4: Am I tired?

For any yes answer, you have a practical way to help yourself. If I am hungry, I eat. If I am angry I can find a way to address the problem that caused anger. If I’m lonely, I can chat with this wonderful group, or DH, or call a friend. If I’m tired I can rest or sleep. It doesn’t make life perfect, but it sure helps smooth out some bumps.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Meg, many many hugs... And all the support we can possibly give. Glad you're here with us.

Love,
    Lisa
  • Dina_Ann
    Dina_Ann Posts: 3 Member
    February I lost 4 lbs.
    March I'd like to lose 5 to get onto the mid 180's.
    Then 5 the next to get me into the 170's by my 53rd birthday.
    Watching calories now and twice a week at the gym. Should be three but I'm trying to actually do what I tell myself to do and not feel guilty.
    Hopefully by April I'll be going three times a week.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    OMG - you should see this link of cakes that Maria sent me! Really, really, specialized. I don't even know if this place can do something like this, and honestly, I don't want to pay all that extra for it. This is a baby shower for goodness sake.

Michele
    who can't believe it
  • noegrand123
    noegrand123 Posts: 166 Member
    Hi all. Got home from my friend’s funeral. Made huge dinner for visiting brother in law. He canceled because he’s afraid of possible snow.

Had a little bout of emotional eating but have recovered. With not too much damage hopefully.

Every one have a good rest of the day where you are.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited March 2019
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    BARBARA: Happy Birthday :)

Yes! Happy Birthday! :)

m91c6ga3mcsi.png
    https://www.jewelsforme.com/aquamarine-meaning
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    Uuuuu
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Happy National Old Stuff Day!

"We have all heard the saying, 'same old, same old.' Well, this is the day to do things differently. Take a moment to recognize the things that you do each day. Is there a better way, [a] more efficient way? Is there a better route to work? Is there a less stressful approach to a task? Maybe it’s just a way to brighten your day or someone else’s day. Whatever it is, strive to make the day new, not the same old day it was yesterday."

Machka - I am in awe of people who manage to pursue a graduate degree while still working and doing all the other stuff we take on as adults. I don't know how you do it!

Meg - It sounds like your current plan isn't working for you. Maybe you need to take a step back and think about why you're not sticking with it, and whether there's some way to change the plan that will help you stay more motivated.

We met up with our usual group for Saturday brunch then came home and finished the greenhouse. The smaller plants from the back yard - blackberry bushes, blueberry bushes, and dwarf pomegranate trees - are inside. Philip will help me move the larger ones from the front porch - bay laurel, satsuma, and Mexican lime - tomorrow after work. Everything else I'll either wrap or bring inside in preparation for the predicted hard freezes the next three nights. What a relief it will be not to have to move all that stuff in and out!

-Yvonne in TX
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    ydailey wrote: »
    Machka - I am in awe of people who manage to pursue a graduate degree while still working and doing all the other stuff we take on as adults. I don't know how you do it!

-Yvonne in TX

Fortunately, my employer encourages people to pursue education and they give me a small amount of time during working hours to take classes.

The way my classes are scheduled this year, I am in classes 3 working hours a week. If it were over 4 hours, I'd work through a lunch or come in early one day.

So that helps. :)

I'm also learning to be more efficient when I do homework.

When I started, my first course was rather odd ... lots of what I considered "busy work", but no matter how much effort I put in, my instructor would not give me a mark over 72% and I kept increasing my effort throughout the course to no avail. The next course was a horrendously heavy course. I nearly quit the whole program several times through that course. The instructor insisted on us doing an astronomical amount of reading, to learn a programming language, and then to produce a project that was quite advanced. By the end of that course, I found that if I had done no reading at all, and had just focused on the project, I would have done better.

Since then, I pick and choose what I focus on ... the amount of work I put in is less and my marks have gone up! :)

And even though the instructors might froth at the mouth about this ... there are times where I won't do an assignment worth 3% of the total mark, in favour of working on an assignment worth 25% of the total mark. :smiley:

M in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    laopqooeuwzr.jpg
  • noegrand123
    noegrand123 Posts: 166 Member
    Hi skf1201!

I travel to Kearney NE about once a week to visit my Dad from Northwest Missouri! You are not kidding this winter has been nuts!

Great job getting out and moving today before the next round hits! Hopefully a better week for all battling winter next week!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)<3:)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Had some emotional snacking. Can’t believe what Maria is expecting! Feeling blue because I don’t see or talk to Denise much. I know Denise likes all the best things in life, but sometimes it isn’t good to get everything, especially when it’s over the top like what Maria wants to do. I know Denise wants it, she’s not paying, but it’s quite inappropriate. But not to Maria.

Barbie – Maria texted me “get something that Denise will like”. I know what she likes, she LIKES the expensive things. That’s not what she’s getting.

Katla – have a question for you. Tomorrow is the first time I’m taking the Actonel (the Prolia was so much easier, none of this waiting for 30 minutes until you can eat stuff). I’m thinking while I’m waiting, I’ll do a Leslie Sansone DVD. As I recall, you don’t bend over too much or none at all. What did you do to pass the time?

Skf – welcome!

Michele from NC