Show us your favorite art

Replies

• RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Someone close to me was into readymade, found object, and conceptual. We used to fight about this one by Duchamp. Not sure if I posted it in another incarnation. Don’t think so
    2r30o892bo1x.jpeg

Interesting...so what was the fight about?

Pretty sophomoric. But I was young

What is art. If it exists in the mind, does it need to exist in the tangible world. Does art need to be expressed to others in order to be art. Is art just a matter of how you look at a thing. Is this so-called fountain art. Am I, as an uneducated plebe, allowed to even question what the establishment has decreed. And so on.

I really loved those conversations.

I think most anything can be art if it conjures up a response from someone.

Although I'm probably considered a plebe...a few thoughts came to mind while reading your comment.
    I associate art with feelings and emotions maybe because that's how I experience it.
    I think art can exist in the mind but not in the tangible world. There are ideas that have begun in many a mind that have not yet been birthed, and may not ever be. Those ideas are art to that person who thought it.

• honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Florida Highwayman Art

egxphm1q611b.jpeg

I’m partial to the stormy days.
    I was lucky enough to buy a couple, ex husband has them........that reminds me,,,,,he needs to cough one up.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Someone close to me was into readymade, found object, and conceptual. We used to fight about this one by Duchamp. Not sure if I posted it in another incarnation. Don’t think so
    2r30o892bo1x.jpeg

the fountain was actually given to duchamp by a girl else hildegard plotz, she the one who went by r mutt then, but its hardly ever written about. she was basically this amazing artist who was in love with duchamp but he just loved her artwork and ideas. anyways also brian eno peed in it in the 1990s when it was on exhibition someplace

i actually love this one too

Can I just come listen to you talk about art all day? ❤️❤️❤️

i mean can you just IMAGINE pollock moving in a rhythm like dancing and the paint pouring and he’s drunk and it’s the only thing that keeps him, like he only wants to be alive because he can see the paint hit the canvas and making music u can see???!! why are we even viewing it on a wall? i mean is it an artifact of a performance or a painting idk it blows my *kitten* mind tbh

and then some kid in the back like
    “is this gonna be on the final?”

Pollock was only famous because the CIA pushed his art though
  • RomaineCalm
    edited March 2019
    2r30o892bo1x.jpeg

the fountain was actually given to duchamp by a girl else hildegard plotz, she the one who went by r mutt then, but its hardly ever written about. she was basically this amazing artist who was in love with duchamp but he just loved her artwork and ideas. anyways also brian eno peed in it in the 1990s when it was on exhibition someplace

i mean can you just IMAGINE pollock moving in a rhythm like dancing and the paint pouring and he’s drunk and it’s the only thing that keeps him, like he only wants to be alive because he can see the paint hit the canvas and making music u can see???!! why are we even viewing it on a wall? i mean is it an artifact of a performance or a painting idk it blows my *kitten* mind tbh

Pollock's work isn't my thing.

But I'm a bit obsessed with the way Yves Klein used his custom shade of blue and women's bodies to make art.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Old photo.. when we went to Smithsonian art gallery.. took this photo..
    v73mtv16u6sj.jpg
    Looks like both staring at each other.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    2r30o892bo1x.jpeg

more please

I’m so into you right now.

i would but now i’m in big text arguement about whether pollock was trash so
    iMago wrote: »
    2r30o892bo1x.jpeg

Pollock was only famous because the CIA pushed his art though

You 2 arguing is art itself

yeah but my statement is actually true. you can google it.

tbf the only stuff of Pollock's i've ever seen was "Male and Female" in the museum in Philly. and i thought it was trash then too.
    i'd still rather look at Edward Weston's bell pepper photos any day of the week. at least they're interesting and required some real skill.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    My favorite that I got in the divorce.

w2s11io0uxca.jpeg

Original print?
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    lx1x wrote: »
    My favorite that I got in the divorce.

w2s11io0uxca.jpeg

Original print?

Yeppers :smile:
  • Venus_88
    Venus_88 Posts: 112 Member
    ft0fnubs0lzf.jpeg
  • RomaineCalm
    I also was completely struck by Augusto Giacometti's Starry Sky when I saw it in person. I think it was a combination of the painting itself and the setting they had it in, against a navy wall with low, moody lighting. I also like that it's a circle, not your typical painting shape of rectangle or square.
    599cc9255652746aad11616e8f806cf2.jpg

augusto was the uncle of alberto giacometti, who made these awesome sculptures

86gwkvk7obav.jpeg

i saw them in an art book of my moms and had bad dreams about them for years, but didn’t know how to describe them. i told her they were these “thin men made of burned tinfoil” and she was like “???”

then way later i was in art school and saw again and was like “well well well if it isn’t the reoccurring nightmare from my childhood”

He does have his own unique style.

Edited because I wanted to.

i made a print a year or so ago of a figure that reminds of this kind of burned stone and tbh its one of my favorite prints

Would you share it here?
  • Den_of_Iniquity
    Den_of_Iniquity Posts: 424 Member
    a1w6qkxdte7q.jpeg

Pure art, am I right @MistressSara ?
  • Den_of_Iniquity
    Den_of_Iniquity Posts: 424 Member
    edited March 2019
    Here's a few chainsaw carvings, unknown artists
    n8zzaj0hvcy6.jpg
    sfwqhp3gu85x.jpeg
    zo7ufvjcqskd.jpg
    vb65df5dg7wq.jpg

• DFTNicki
    DFTNicki Posts: 138 Member
    I have a ton of favorites. I appreciate A LOT of art. But this is one of my favorites...
    dkrbh8gbdw9m.jpg
  • RomaineCalm
    I also was completely struck by Augusto Giacometti's Starry Sky when I saw it in person. I think it was a combination of the painting itself and the setting they had it in, against a navy wall with low, moody lighting. I also like that it's a circle, not your typical painting shape of rectangle or square.
    599cc9255652746aad11616e8f806cf2.jpg

augusto was the uncle of alberto giacometti, who made these awesome sculptures

86gwkvk7obav.jpeg

i saw them in an art book of my moms and had bad dreams about them for years, but didn’t know how to describe them. i told her they were these “thin men made of burned tinfoil” and she was like “???”

then way later i was in art school and saw again and was like “well well well if it isn’t the reoccurring nightmare from my childhood”

He does have his own unique style.

Edited because I wanted to.

i made a print a year or so ago of a figure that reminds of this kind of burned stone and tbh its one of my favorite prints

Would you share it here?

prolly no, the last time i posted something someone took the time to research and find my name and location then messaged me and it really creeped me out tbh

I totally get it. I like my privacy too.