Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Replies

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 450 Member

KKSW1981 wrote: »
    Usually the people making comments about the "elderly" are very young and rather immature. In your 20s you really don't have enough life experience to understand life after age 29. Lol! You think 30s is so "old". I have many friends of all ages. I envy my retired age 60 plus friends. They are living life. Go to the gym, out to lunch with friends, take a nap, have friends over for dinner, games and wine. Travel! Life is good at all ages!

LOL...so true, it boggles my mind when I hear people talking about someone being elderly and they are int heir 50s...I just turned 50 last year so maybe somewhat sensitive but seriously someone in their 50s I would not consider a senior or elderly.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    kds10 wrote: »
    KKSW1981 wrote: »
    Usually the people making comments about the "elderly" are very young and rather immature. In your 20s you really don't have enough life experience to understand life after age 29. Lol! You think 30s is so "old". I have many friends of all ages. I envy my retired age 60 plus friends. They are living life. Go to the gym, out to lunch with friends, take a nap, have friends over for dinner, games and wine. Travel! Life is good at all ages!

LOL...so true, it boggles my mind when I hear people talking about someone being elderly and they are int heir 50s...I just turned 50 last year so maybe somewhat sensitive but seriously someone in their 50s I would not consider a senior or elderly.

Indeed. I am 3 years away from 50 and in the best shape of my life...
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    NCK96 wrote: »
    My father is currently in his 70's. He needed a knee replacement and his doctor kind of balked at performing it on him because of his 'advanced' age, until my dad pointed out that his own father stubbornly lived to be 100. (Seriously, he was stubborn about it, and the last few years he would tell people he was going to do it.) It made for a strange contrast when I married into my husband's family. His grandparents were in their late 50's and talked about being old because their own parents died in their 50's. They ended up living to be in their 80's, but I believe they've thought about themselves as 'old' for decades. I understand genetics play a big part, but so does lifestyle, diet, activity level, and plain old attitude.

This is my wife's family. Not my wife thank God..she's a very content 30 year old 56er 🙂

Her sis is 57 and is always telling everyone how old she is. Slim, healthy and active, but you know, old. Attitude is a Huge part of this.
  • Phirrgus
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I am less than 2 months away from 50 and am just nodding my head in agreement with so many through this thread. I spent my childhood dancing and being active, started lifting weights at 17 so I can't say I'm in the best shape of my life, but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. I think being young at heart is so important. I have people tell me I'm too old to talk the way I do, or act the way I do and to them I say go kick rocks. I spent last night jumping around like a crazy person at a rock concert with my 17 year old son. IDGAF if anyone thinks I'm too old for that. I had a great time and I don't plan on ever changing that.

Of course I have aches and pains that I didn't have 5 or 10 years ago. I try to listen to my body more as I age, but it won't stop me from doing what I love and that is lifting and being active. I hope to be that 80 year old granny in the nursing home lifting weights. lol

Yes 👌👍🙂
  • Phirrgus
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    NCK96 wrote: »
    My father is currently in his 70's. He needed a knee replacement and his doctor kind of balked at performing it on him because of his 'advanced' age, until my dad pointed out that his own father stubbornly lived to be 100. (Seriously, he was stubborn about it, and the last few years he would tell people he was going to do it.) It made for a strange contrast when I married into my husband's family. His grandparents were in their late 50's and talked about being old because their own parents died in their 50's. They ended up living to be in their 80's, but I believe they've thought about themselves as 'old' for decades. I understand genetics play a big part, but so does lifestyle, diet, activity level, and plain old attitude.

This is my wife's family. Not my wife thank God..she's a very content 30 year old 56er 🙂

Her sis is 57 and is always telling everyone how old she is. Slim, healthy and active, but you know, old. Attitude is a Huge part of this.

Don't completely reject playing the "old" card, though: You can get away with stuff . . . for example, brutal honesty and general crankiness are more accepted from li'l ol' ladies such as myself, I've found.

One person can play two sides of this "aging" street. ;)

I may have to give that a try one day :)
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    fh1951 wrote: »
    I’ve not read all the posts so if someone has already mentioned it, sorry to double dip. When I turned 60 my family physician gave me the book “Younger Next Year”. It presents both the current knowledge about aging and the behavior needed to use the knowledge wisely. We each have a choice: allow our quality of life to get progressively more miserable as we age until we die; or maintain a consistently good level of quality of life up to the end and go over the waterfall basically all at once. The latter requires 3 actions - eat right, exercise, and stay engaged with people. That’s it. I’m 67 and the latter behavior is the choice I’ve made.

@fh1951 Saw your post...bought the book. I am about 1/2 way through the book. I knew many of the things in it intuitively and I do exercise 4-5 times per week (run, swim, cycle)...but the book (so far) is very good nonetheless. I recommend it as well.

BTW - I am 58 and have just entered my second sprint-tri. For my first one, my goal was to just finish, but not in DFL (dead-f'n-last) - which I accomplished. I did not know what to expect and the first event taught me a lot. This time I am training for time. ALSO - the endurance athletes that I meet while training and in my first event are the most supportive athletes I have ever met.

@Ed_Zilla Just saw your post, glad you like the book! You’ve got it going! 👍👍👍
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 450 Member
    Just read that cardiologists say that if u can get up 4 flights of stairs in under a minute that is a good sign of health and longevity.
  • Phirrgus
    I turned 69 in Dec & although I can’t say I am in the best shape of my life (I need to lose a few pounds & get more active!), but I definitely don’t feel old or see myself that way. I know I have a hard time “getting started” on activity, which I don’t think is old thinking, but rather uncertainty about what to do. I do my 10,000 steps daily, and hopefully this will lead to more! And I agree with Ann...I have to laugh at the younger ones moaning about being so old!

You know....if you read through the forums, you'll see lots of 20 and 30 somethings having a hard time getting started too. ;) Keep going, I bet you're doing better than you think you are. :)
  • Phirrgus
    Love reading everyone’s responses. Y’all are so positive! I work out with a really wide age range of people at my gym, which is so encouraging to the idea that we can stay fit and active into our 70s and beyond.

There is a group of ladies in their 60s-70s who lift heavy 3x a week, along with a lady about my own age (wearing their matching “Golden Girls” barbell tanks!). They’re always having so much fun and the older ladies are lifting just as heavy as most women in their 40s.

Every morning I see a couple in their late 70s at the gym together—my goal in life is to have their routine...daily Mass, workout, then hang out with friends around the coffee machine upstairs in the gym :)

Contrast this with a recent visit with my parents...my mom was complaining of hip pain that’s keeping her from going for walks. I suggested foam rolling (as I have lots of hip pain and that’s helpful for me). As soon as I mentioned “you get down on the floor “, she was shaking her head. I really want to be able to get up and down from the floor when I’m 73 without major effort and pain :/
    I feel ya lol. My mom is very active, but always complaining she's old. 76 years old.

Love the Golden Girls group 😂 love your attitude, keep going. You won't regret it 🙂
  • Phirrgus
    @alteredsteve175 Thanks for the recommendations!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member

@Phirrgus - Right back atcha'! Thanks for starting this thread. I bookmarked it immediately. I am reading through the earlier pages when I have time.
  • Phirrgus

@Phirrgus - Right back atcha'! Thanks for starting this thread. I bookmarked it immediately. I am reading through the earlier pages when I have time.
    I'm glad you're enjoying it @alteredsteve175 . It's amazing and refreshing to read about everyone's determination to just not give in, in spite of the fact that some folks think we ought to. That just rocks 💪👍
  • Phirrgus

Jonathon Sullivan also has a YouTube channel. Entertaining and informative as well. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNjgwAS3wBBxcwouQz5J9w
    @alteredsteve175 - I started listening to him this morning. Excellent recommendation, thank you sir 👍
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member

Jonathon Sullivan also has a YouTube channel. Entertaining and informative as well. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNjgwAS3wBBxcwouQz5J9w
    @alteredsteve175 - I started listening to him this morning. Excellent recommendation, thank you sir 👍

Glad you like it. Sullivan is a no BS kind of guy. Very straightforward, and supports his advice with logic.