Competition food

I’ve got a PL comp in a couple of weeks: weigh in at 8am then lifts from 10am, should be finished by 2pm. For all the experienced lifters out there, what do you take to eat? Do you just rely on sugar and stuff like flapjack to get you through? I generally eat a lot (for my size) but I can’t deadlift on a full tummy... any advice / tips?

Replies

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited March 2019
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Ooo thanks!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Ooo thanks!

Looks like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are your staple!
  • claireychn074
    Yes I genuinely hadn’t thought of that, but definitely a good idea. I had too much sugar last time and not enough volume so I flagged a bit! Want 3 PBs this time 😀
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Are you water cutting or utilizing salt manipulation?

In general, eat things easy to digest with either salt or added sodium. This will help replenish salt as well as add temporary body weight to achieve better levers of your platform lifts.

Don't pack in food you don't usually eat and things that are dense. The body utilizes energy to digest food and on this day we want optimal energy.

I find Pringles chips useful personally. I will also use gummy bears to quickly add energy. Pop tarts are part of my regular diet so I eat these as well.

I also drink black coffee for training so I will consume that as well. Depending if you are in a tested fed like mine(USAPL), you might want to regulate this because you can pop a dirty test. Check rules especially if you are in contention for winning or breaking records.
  • claireychn074
    @Chieflrg I’m not in contention for any medals sadly (bit of a dweeb but I am slowly getting stronger!) and I’m bang in the middle of my weight range so don’t need to cut or bulk. Interesting about the salt; I do have a thing for salted cashews and eat them regularly so they would be good for a snack. I’ve never actually had a pop tart (sorry) so won’t start on the comp day! 🤣