When you started maintenance, did you have a hard time deciding how to spend your extra calories?

When you switched to maintenance and you had extra calories to play with, how did you fill them? Did you have a period where you just wanted to fill them with delicious foods you were cutting your portions of during the weight loss phase? Did you save them for weekend restaurant nights out or parties? Did you consciously add more nutrient-rich foods to your routine? Did you just make your same meals and snacks slightly bigger? Did you add more daily snacks?

I’m leaning towards just making my regular planned meals a little bigger, but I keep underestimating that and having leftover calories at the end of the day that I just want to use for chocolate and peanut butter (which I already have plenty of 😂). It’s an adjustment period, I’m sure, but I’m curious about how you allocated those extra calories at the beginning of maintenance!

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I did the "gradual add" method at the last stages, so I was adding 50-100 daily calories at a time, then waiting. That helped me to think in terms of small, pleasant tweaks to my eating, rather than being tempted to add a big ol' daily 400+ calorie treat food. ;) (One example tweak was adding a bit of hemp and flax seeds to my daily oatmeal for extra protein, Omega-3s, and some enjoyable added crunch. It was just a bit over 100 calories.)

Nowadays, I strive to eat a little under my estimated maintenance daily, so I can bank calories for a restaurant meal or other major indulgence once a week or so; and I think ahead about when I might want to manage my day to get my nutrition in by using lower-calorie choices, in order to free up calories that day to have a craft beer with friends in the evening, or something like that.

I don't do any of this perfectly, but I think the general approach is right for me.

This all feels so right to me. Especially the parts about banking calories each day for a night out, which I do already. I’m sure I can just adapt that and eat a bit more before banking.

Maybe I’ll just add enjoyable crunch to all my meals! What a great idea 😂
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I make my regular meals bigger and also leave space for some extra stuff like I can now eat dark chocolate and pomegranate juice pre workout. Or if I know i'm going to eat with someone (like lunch or dinner) I adjust my other meals to ensure I have extra calories for the meal and desert!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I make my regular meals bigger and also leave space for some extra stuff like I can now eat dark chocolate and pomegranate juice pre workout. Or if I know i'm going to eat with someone (like lunch or dinner) I adjust my other meals to ensure I have extra calories for the meal and desert!

Yes, I think I’m gonna like the added flexibility, especially with regards to the occasional restaurant meal or party!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I only got 200 more calories per day than I did while losing. They still feel like a lot. I eat a bigger breakfast now, and also more chocolate :) I bank about 100-200 of my exercise calories on most week days for the weekend.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I keep my meals about the same and tweak with between meal choices. I just find that easier to adjust up and down. I do tend to drop down low in my range and then go a little overboard for a while. I change up calorie density more than amount of food or frequency.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great ideas!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    ahh i cannot wait to eat more calories! Reading this thread makes me excited.
  • SeattleBebop1
    SeattleBebop1 Posts: 26 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Chocolate is always needed! I have one square of 86% dark chocolate every night after supper. It’s been crucial to weight loss and maintenance.

That dark chocolate is life. The dark is so much more satiating than milk.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I only had an extra 250 to play with basically....and they get spent on chocolate/crisps (chips) :smiley:
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    What extra calories, lol. I hit maintenance at 1300 calories and couldn't lose any more so I never got extra calories. I'm also older and not as active as I could be. I walk for an extra hundred or so calories.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I came down gradually at the end so there wasn't a big jump at all. My weight balances on about 200 calories so not much to throw a party about in the end!