March 2019 group?

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    My daughter used to run track when she was a teen and she joined me tonight. Was lots of fun. Week 4 run 2 complete ✅
  • Coffeeonice
    Coffeeonice Posts: 303 Member
    Oh it's great to see a few more joining.
    Never too late to start. I am sure I will have to repeat a number of weeks but I am really determined to finish it.
    W1D2 done yesterday. Will do D3 tomorrow. I am using the 5k runner app (fitness 22) and so far so good.
  • Coffeeonice
    Well done on starting @VanVanDiane!
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,367 Member
    Well, I feel like we passed a major test today - it was about half past 6 by the time my husband was done at the podiatrist (getting a special insole to correct hypermobility in his ankle) so was dark, cold, and also raining...

But we did it anyway! Ran round a local park and along by the sea, and the hot bath at the end was all the sweeter for it o:) ok it's only W1D2, but am looking forward to Saturday's run, when we can actually do it in daylight. Who knows, maybe there'll even be some sun...
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Excited to get started tomorrow, think it should be fine here, too!
  • kilobykilo
    Well, I feel like we passed a major test today - it was about half past 6 by the time my husband was done at the podiatrist (getting a special insole to correct hypermobility in his ankle) so was dark, cold, and also raining...

But we did it anyway! Ran round a local park and along by the sea, and the hot bath at the end was all the sweeter for it o:) ok it's only W1D2, but am looking forward to Saturday's run, when we can actually do it in daylight. Who knows, maybe there'll even be some sun...

Well done! You totally deserve sun on Saturday!
  • kilobykilo
    Day one, week one, done! Only 2.64km in the time and 3.3 in total, but I'm going to try and believe in the programme (this time!)
  • VanVanDiane
    edited March 2019
    kilobykilo wrote: »
    Day one, week one, done! Only 2.64km in the time and 3.3 in total, but I'm going to try and believe in the programme (this time!)

I'm not worrying about times and distances yet (though am putting money in a savings account for each km completed - will buy me new running shoes when needed if nothing else!) I just want to complete it and stay injury free - I've only ever run for a bus before :D
  • kilobykilo

I'm not worrying about times and distances yet (though am putting money in a savings account for each km completed - will buy me new running shoes when needed if nothing else!) I just want to complete it and stay injury free - I've only ever run for a bus before :D

Love the savings account idea!
  • VanVanDiane

Love the savings account idea!

It was a tip from this group - I have £6.84 in there so far :)
  • emmamcgarity
    I finished week 4 today. I’m a little intimidated about next weeks runs but each time out i feel stronger.
  • kilobykilo
    I finished week 4 today. I’m a little intimidated about next weeks runs but each time out i feel stronger.

Whoop well done! I'm already fearing week five from way back at week one....but this time I'm hoping to believe in the programme and magic will happen!

You got this!
  • Coffeeonice
    W1D3 completed yesterday. Hopefully onto week 2 on Sunday.
    Think I will adopt the savings idea! Will buy new runners. 9.80 so far.
  • VanVanDiane
    W1D3 completed - and finally a run in both sunlight and sunshine! Still pretty windy but you can't have everything... :D
  • kilobykilo
    W1D3 completed - and finally a run in both sunlight and sunshine! Still pretty windy but you can't have everything... :D

Sounds lovely! Wind n all
  • kilobykilo
    I'll be doing run 2 earlish tomorrow as the forecast here is lovely and warm :)
  • kilobykilo
    pratainua wrote: »
    W1D3 completed yesterday. Hopefully onto week 2 on Sunday.
    Think I will adopt the savings idea! Will buy new runners. 9.80 so far.

Great work on the almost 10k already! I'm going to keep tabs on how you re finding each week as I'm one behind you :)
  • emmamcgarity
    Since I am a little ahead of some others, I wanted to share something I wish I had known during week 1&2... the first two weeks were hard, very hard for me. My body was achy and my knees and hips were hurting. Then during the podcast for week 3 the narrator told me to imagine I was running along a hedge. Someone on the other side of the hedge seeing only my head shouldn’t be able to tell if I am running or walking. This was a game changer for me. I slowed my pace significantly and my recovery days are much better now. All that to say... run slower
  • kilobykilo
    Since I am a little ahead of some others, I wanted to share something I wish I had known during week 1&2... the first two weeks were hard, very hard for me. My body was achy and my knees and hips were hurting. Then during the podcast for week 3 the narrator told me to imagine I was running along a hedge. Someone on the other side of the hedge seeing only my head shouldn’t be able to tell if I am running or walking. This was a game changer for me. I slowed my pace significantly and my recovery days are much better now. All that to say... run slower

Thank you for this tip, great to hear it reiterated after a couple of other people told me the same.....

For reasons I don't understand being slower is coming tough to me, but I'm gonna keep trying to master it so I can maintain the longer runs.

Well done on your progress this far!
  • VanVanDiane
    I think I needed to hear this - my partner wants to run faster than me, and I think I'm trying to keep up even though I said I wasn't going to. I've a history of clickety knees and have very tight Achilles' tendons in the mornings as it is. Slow and steady!