Fossil watch tech quedtion

Hi. Does anyone use a fossil watch with mfp? . I was trying to get my fossil wearable style tracking watch to connect with mfp..so I can record my steps per day. I also installed the under armour app.. But it seems its not recording my steps on my fitness pal?

Replies

• TriniDiva_PA
    TriniDiva_PA Posts: 53 Member
    I do. I have a Q venture HR & I use Google Fit.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I have a Skagen Connect (same thing as Fossil) and the watch tracks steps super accurately.

Unfortunately I've given up trying to get those steps reliably into MFP.

When I sync with Google Fit the steps imported into MFP are WAY above what my watch records. Like my watch will say 5k steps and MFP will be showing 8k steps. The only explanation is that google fit is double crediting steps by adding my watch steps to the steps the phone itself is recording. This results in WAY to many calories being credited in MFP. I've not found a way to stop this from happening.

When I sync with UA Record it records my steps accurately but never adjusts my calories. I am set to sedentary and rely on my step count to let me know how much extra I can eat that day based on how active I was. The problem is that no matter how many steps I record I get a 0 adjustment.

3k steps = 0 extra calories
    8k steps = 0 extra calories
    15k steps = 0 extra calories

UA Record is just simply broken. I mean it doesn't even show up as UA Record but rather 'Map My Ride' an app I don't even have installed.

So in the end I went back to using Google Fit because while it may over-record my steps at least it works and actually adjusts my calorie target. I just make manual adjustments to my calorie intake based on the amount of calories credited for the over-estimated steps vs how many actual steps I've taken. It's not ideal but at least it's something and not completely useless like UA
  • michalcieslicki
    michalcieslicki Posts: 2 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    UA Record is just simply broken. I mean it doesn't even show up as UA Record but rather 'Map My Ride' an app I don't even have installed.

Hi Danp,

I have a Fossil Q Hybrid, that I am very happy with. Steps synced over Google Fit were, as you've already found out, over estimated. I have set a "Negative Calorie Adjustment" in MFP after connecting my Fossil over the UA Record app. In result I can see the source of steps in MFP beeing now MapMyFitness (strange) and steps seem to be syncing correctly. However, there is a problem with NCA. As most of my activity happens after my work (sedentary work) the NCA grows until around 2PM CET and then stops beeing synced anymore it just stops on -300 regardless of how many steps I have taken on the given day. The only way I've found to keep it syncing until late day is to add some workout either through UA Record or MapMyFitness.

I have created a corresponding request at UA Record Support (REQUEST #64572 UA RECORDS STOPS ADJUSTING CALORIE ADJUSTMENT TO MFP AROUND 2PM), with screenshots, tips etc, on where the problem could be, but were completely ignored. The final "soulution" was:
    Unfortunately, we do not have the necessary tools to be able to solve your issue through this support channel. Please contact the MyFitnessPal support team here, and they will be able to help you out.

So, I wonder why they couldn't forward the problem internally, seemed to me it is one infrastructure from UA, not separate subjects throwing responsibility on arms of another team. Anyway, I am currently living with NCA allowing me to eat less then 1500 - 300 cals a day.

Another problem is, that adding any workout either in UA Record or MapMyFitness seem to be doubling it. So f.e. playing volleyball for an hour results in around 370 burned cals, however after a minute or two I can see two workouts with around 740 cals burned. That is not the truth either. Unfortunately the *kitten* interface of UA Record does not allow to delete additional workouts easily, the past workouts are beeing read endlessly.

There are some minor bugs, that should be adressed. They are, from my perspective as a software developer and tester, no easy to be found out during normal development / deploy phase, that is why I would find it so crucial to have a meaningfull feedback from users beeing able to reproduce and correctly describe the problem.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, I was ignored.

I'll try to post another support request on MFP support page, let's see if they have other attitude.
  • michalcieslicki
    michalcieslicki Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. Does anyone use a fossil watch with mfp? . I was trying to get my fossil wearable style tracking watch to connect with mfp..so I can record my steps per day. I also installed the under armour app.. But it seems its not recording my steps on my fitness pal?

At the beginning I was having lots of problems with sync, what was working (inaccurately however) was Google Fit. I got rid of that bridge and am now syncing over Record / MapMyFitness only and doing some export to Google Fit in case of future switch (turned off all other activity collected by Google Fit f.e. from the phone, etc.). After a day or two, lots of disconnections, reconnections between services (MFP, Record, Fossil Q App) it finally worked on one day. Just give it a try and check after midnight or on the next day, it might be it works then.