Trying Keto ????

dennisroc
dennisroc Posts: 59 Member
I have lost 16 lbs this year so far and wanting to lose about 20 more. I have been eating Keto all year and being type 2 diabetic my Blood sugar readings are better than I have seen in a long time and have been cutting down on my insulin.

My question is about eating things like Ham , Hot dogs and pizza but only eating the toppings and any other ideas that anyone has for something different to eat.

Thanks

Replies

• deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,761 Member
    My quick go-to is to eat a sandwich without the bread. I like muenster cheese (I usually buy it at the deli counter & have it sliced). You can use any sliced cheese you prefer including cheddar, provolone, muenster, colby etc. 2 slices are used in place of the bread. Simply put the meat of choice in-between. You can even add mustard or mayo if you prefer. This gives you a quick sandwich, extra protein, helps add to your fat macro but is reasonable in calories. To change it up, you can even cook the lunchmeat, let cool for a couple of minutes then make the sandwich using the cold cheese. It then has the nice browned taste. Add a bit of lettuce or spinach if you like. Or a bit of avocado. Even some jazzed/spiced up cream cheese spread. I hope this helps!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Perhaps try to get in some non-starchy vegetables?
  • Stafford3059
    Stafford3059 Posts: 2 Member
    My quick go-to is to eat a sandwich without the bread. I like muenster cheese (I usually buy it at the deli counter & have it sliced). You can use any sliced cheese you prefer including cheddar, provolone, muenster, colby etc. 2 slices are used in place of the bread. Simply put the meat of choice in-between. You can even add mustard or mayo if you prefer. This gives you a quick sandwich, extra protein, helps add to your fat macro but is reasonable in calories. To change it up, you can even cook the lunchmeat, let cool for a couple of minutes then make the sandwich using the cold cheese. It then has the nice browned taste. Add a bit of lettuce or spinach if you like. Or a bit of avocado. Even some jazzed/spiced up cream cheese spread. I hope this helps!

I love this idea, little to no carb while still enjoying that deli sandwich feeling!
  • CaerwynIsabella
    CaerwynIsabella Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2019
    I started Keto 1 month ago, and I lost 7 pounds! I haven't even added exercise to my routine yet. I do crave those terrible sweets down the snack aisle, but my progress motivates me to stick to the diet. As for your question, I tried Diet Dr's Keto Meat Pie, and I'm not a big fan of the crust. Looking at what it's supposed to be, I might treat it like pizza and eat only the filling and cheese. If I want to add carbs, I can always add vegetables like peppers. Yesterday was pretty tough. I ended up sleeping almost the entire day away. Today, I feel like I can do almost anything I put my mind to, so I may use that good energy for something highly productive for myself like exercise or deep cleaning the house. I hope everyone here is doing well, and keep up the great work! Together, we can do this!
  • pugzley1234
    pugzley1234 Posts: 4 Member
    One of my go to meals may seem weird, but it's delicious.
    In a small pan I fry up some shredded cheese, I change it up often , the cheese should cover the pan, but in a thin layer, when it starts to get crispy I fry 1 full egg, and one egg yolk (I don't know how people like just the whites, just the thought of egg whites makes me gag), on top of the cheese. I cook long enough that the egg white is done, but yolk remains runny.
    I top with small amount of salsa and cilantro. If the cheese cooked properly you should be able to fold over like a taco.
    Good luck on your journey, I lost 30lbs in just over 2 months about 5 years ago.... eventually my old habits crept back and I gained it back, so here I am again!
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    You can do a deconstructed pizza casserole - no crust or bread. We did turkey pepperoni, ground turkey with Italian seasonings, petite diced tomatoes, mozzarella... there’s recipes everywhere. I really got that pizza feel and didn’t miss the crust at all. Plenty of leftovers, as well.
  • My go to is sauteed zucchini with mozzerella cheese and pepperoni. You can add red pepper flake for a kick. I've even subbed eggplant for zucchini.
  • karld70
    karld70 Posts: 46 Member
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/cauliflower-pizza-crust-2651381.amp

Thought this might be of interest, I've heard of this but never tried it, it's mozzella and cauliflower pizza base... Not bread
    I'd love to hear from you if you try this and how it was.
  • Rea20021989
    Rea20021989 Posts: 6 Member
    Google 'fathead pizza recipe'.

You can thank me later. You can use it for all kinds of versatile things like making pizza, garlic bread, pasty pockets, pie casings, crackers... the list is as long as your imagination

(keto for a year, lost half my body weight, healthier than I've ever been).

ANother good one is just 100g almond flour, 1 pinch salt, 1 egg--mix together into a dough, roll out thinly and cut into crackers, bake for 10-15mins at 180 degrees centigrade and enjoy with anything keto-friendly that you'd usually put on crackers!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    Google the meals below, where I don't miss the carbs at all. For the Asian dishes, skip the rice sometimes served on the side. For the Bagna Cauda, skip the bread. For the remaining dishes leave out the potato.

Nam Prik Ong
    Beef Lok Lak
    Bagna Cauda
    Grande Alioli
    Salade Nicoise
    Gado Gado