Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cholesterol

13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    edited March 2019
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »
    This new study showed ldl did not change on a lchf diet, but triglycerides and help tend to improve.

Effects of carbohydrate-restricted diets on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in overweight and obese adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Results

Carbohydrate-restricted diets showed no significant difference in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol after 6, 12, and 24 months. Although an overall pooled analysis statistically favored low-fat diets (0.07 mmol/L; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.02–0.13; P = 0.009], this was clinically insignificant. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and plasma triglycerides at 6 and 12 months favored carbohydrate-restricted diets (0.08 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.06–0.11; P < 1 × 10−5 and −0.13 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.19 to −0.08; P < 1 × 10−5, respectively). These favorable changes were more marked in the subgroup with very-low carbohydrate content (< 50 g/d; 0.12 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.10–0.14; P < 1 × 10−5and −0.19 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.26 to −0.12; P = 0.02, respectively).

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article-abstract/77/3/161/5241079?redirectedFrom

Wouldn't these results also be due to the subjects losing weight which would inevitably improve their cholesterol panel?

That is the problem with low carb diets: people tend to lose weight on them.

Weight loss does tend to raise ldl and triglycerides while it is happening though. That did not happen here.

Interesting. I didn't realize this (this is not push back, just a statement of fact). My n =1 was that LDL went down steadily (146-128-95) during weight loss (balanced macros, not LC), and tris just plummeted (193-126-82). I hadn't occurred to me to ask myself if this was anything but the norm.

Edited: superfluous word
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    This new study showed ldl did not change on a lchf diet, but triglycerides and help tend to improve.

Effects of carbohydrate-restricted diets on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in overweight and obese adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Results

Carbohydrate-restricted diets showed no significant difference in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol after 6, 12, and 24 months. Although an overall pooled analysis statistically favored low-fat diets (0.07 mmol/L; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.02–0.13; P = 0.009], this was clinically insignificant. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and plasma triglycerides at 6 and 12 months favored carbohydrate-restricted diets (0.08 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.06–0.11; P < 1 × 10−5 and −0.13 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.19 to −0.08; P < 1 × 10−5, respectively). These favorable changes were more marked in the subgroup with very-low carbohydrate content (< 50 g/d; 0.12 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.10–0.14; P < 1 × 10−5and −0.19 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.26 to −0.12; P = 0.02, respectively).

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article-abstract/77/3/161/5241079?redirectedFrom

Wouldn't these results also be due to the subjects losing weight which would inevitably improve their cholesterol panel?

Weight loss does tend to raise ldl and triglycerides while it is happening though. That did not happen here.

Please explain this theory.

Really simplified: more cholesterol and fat in the blood whenfat is mobilized for energy.

It doesn't always happen, but it is not uncommon.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2035468/

This study had 6 individuals which is not a very relevant correlation for the masses. It was also transient hypercholesterolemia which resolved.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

Results

Really simplified: more cholesterol and fat in the blood whenfat is mobilized for energy.

This study had 6 individuals which is not a very relevant correlation for the masses. It was also transient hypercholesterolemia which resolved.

It does resolve in all cases when weight loss stops.

As I said, it does not happen to everybody.

This isnt a newly discovered phenomenon. There is a lot more out there on it.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

Results

6 women on a VLCD had an initial lowering of total cholesterol for 1 to 2 months followed by 5 months of a higher total cholesterol, and ultimately lowered cholesterol at maintenance.
    I mean I suppose this shows sometimes cholesterol raises with weight loss, but being a VLCD, I'm not sure if it is demonstrating it is an effect of weight loss over a low carb diet. It would be nice to have the full study to see the VLCD composition.
    I would have taken it as typically the case that weight loss just plain sees a drop in LDL for overweight and obese subject.
  • nvmomketo
    Vlcd is a very low calorie diet. I have no idea if the diet was low carb
  • nvmomketo
    Vlcd is a very low calorie diet. I have no idea if the diet was low carb

Yeah... I know what VLCD means. You have no idea if it was low carb? You understand low calories basically means low macros too, right? A lot of VLCDs would end up being low carb and low fat too just by virtue of the calories available.

Yes. Possibly low protein too.

And yes, I realize that cutting carbs will reduce macro totals...