Carrying water to drink on long runs?

This is my second time training for a half marathon. The first tome was 10 years ago and I ended up with the flu on race day. 10 years ago I bought a camelback to sip on long training runs (once I got into the 8-9 mile range). Is this the most practical way to carry water? Are there other methods? What do people do? Or do people skip the water altogether at this mileage?

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    There are Camelback hydration packs (and many other brands), belts that carry water bottles, handheld water bottles, etc. etc etc. It comes down to personal preference. I rarely take water for anything under 6. I prefer my waist belt that holds 2-10oz water bottles for mid range runs. Not a fan of my Camelback, BUT will take it for long runs of 12+ miles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    This is my second time training for a half marathon. The first tome was 10 years ago and I ended up with the flu on race day. 10 years ago I bought a camelback to sip on long training runs (once I got into the 8-9 mile range). Is this the most practical way to carry water? Are there other methods? What do people do? Or do people skip the water altogether at this mileage?

i have a running belt that holds 2 150 ml bottles which is usually enough water for 10 miles plus. (i train up to 12 miles for a half usually) i don't carry water for shorter runs than that, unless its warm. i'm in the uk though so its not often that warm :laugh:
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I don't take water with me, but I pre-plan water stops at drinking fountains. Typically, I don't stop for runs under 10 - 12 miles unless it's very hot. On longer runs I make sure I start drinking around 6 or 7 miles to ensure hydration through the whole run.

I've also 'planted' water bottles along my route when fountains were few & far between. If you do this, make sure you have a new sealed bottle so you know if it's been tampered with.

Keep in mind, I'm a seasoned distance runner so my body may perform and react differently than someone relatively new to it.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    I take a hydration backpack. I've tried a few but finally found one I'm happy with which is pretty small but holds up to 2 litres of water which is fine for me..anything over a 10k I take water as I find I dehydrate easily.
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    I saw a gal running last fall with a belt holding 5 er 6 water bottles.
    That's a gal in it for the.long haul ... hats off!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2019
    For halves, i usually use my trailbelt. it holds a water bottle

i also have a hydration vest for longer runs, 2l and it has 1 spot for another bottle if needed
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    I have a flipbelt that has a water bottle. I've carried it for halfs and it is plenty. I live in Texas and it is usually hot so I almost always carry water even on shorter runs.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    I've got a 3 bottle belt which I really like as it weighs perfectly balanced and I can shift the bottles around so the weight distribution is nice I find. I have this one but in a blue/black color.

https://www.amazon.ca/FuelBelt-Ironman-Collection-Bottle-Belt/dp/B009T0FA98/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fuelbelt+3&qid=1552400301&s=sports&sr=1-1-catcorr
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Tbh I don't carry water for anything below 16miles unless it's particularly warm. I do plan my routes to go past at least 1 shop though just in case I really need to rehydrate.
    I can't think of any races I've done that don't have water stations, and in race conditions I will normally take a couple of sips (and pour some on my head).
  • runnermom419
    There are Camelback hydration packs (and many other brands), belts that carry water bottles, handheld water bottles, etc. etc etc. It comes down to personal preference. I rarely take water for anything under 6. I prefer my waist belt that holds 2-10oz water bottles for mid range runs. Not a fan of my Camelback, BUT will take it for long runs of 12+ miles.

Yup, can't forget planning a route that takes you past a water fountain. But, I live where the fountains are shut off half the year (Southern Wisconsin winters for you) so....I can only use that plan here and there.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    There are no water fountains where I run, and I sweat a lot, so I always carry water for anything over an hour or so. I use a fanny pack with a bottle inside - either a soda bottle (20 oz) or a Gatorade bottle (32 oz.)
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    I use a handheld bottle. I typically take it out for my long run over the weekend, otherwise I'm good and don't require carrying anything.

This is what it looks like:

https://www.amazon.com/Amphipod-Hydraform-Thermal-Lite-Handheld-BPA-Free/dp/B013T7VIE2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1JG5PFY2J4PH0&keywords=amphipod+running+bottle&qid=1552402952&s=gateway&sprefix=amphi,aps,260&sr=8-1
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Generally speaking, it's very rare for me to see people wearing a Camelback at a half marathon. Most people just don't need that much water for that distance. However, if you need it, you should wear it.

I personally have a Flipbelt with the 11 ounce bottle that fits inside it. I've used this while training for several half marathons and it works well for me, though I generally don't start carrying it until I hit double digit mileage. I often put Nuun in it (just snap the tablet in half and it will fit into the bottle).

Another vote for mapping out any water fountains on your route. There aren't any on mine, but it was a game changer when I found a water fountain on a route where I used to live.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    I used to have a handheld bottle I used on runs but I find it really annoying to hold so stopped using it, which was fine when I was running 6 miles or less. However at the moment I don't like running further than that without water and there's nowhere I can stop on my routes so I've just bought one that can be attached to your wrist.

I am waiting for it to arrive to see how I do with it and will probably use it until I'm confident enough to run without water on longer runs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077Y9GQN3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    For HM training you can generally get by with a belt that holds one bottle or so. You really don't need that much water for a 10 miler. I personally don't bother with water during a run. I just make sure to stay well hydrated overall.

Even better if your long run is a loop and you pass by the same place twice. You can leave a bottle there on the first pass and then pick it up on the way back. If you leave it right around the 1.5 mile mark you won't have to carry it so far and you'll get to do most of your run without having to carry it around.

• amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    I think it depends on your location and your fitness level. I live in FL and the thought of not taking ANYTHING with me freaks me out! I run with a 22oz Nathan and during MANY races, I'm out of water by the end. However, I'm 220+ pounds, not in the best shape, slow, and I'm a mouth-breather. I also am fond of bringing my own water because some places' water is nasty (I'm lookin' at you, St. Augustine).
    My only problem with a handheld is that my left arm gets tired of carrying it and it can cause shoulder tension, so I have to swap back and forth.

https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quickdraw-Handheld-Bottle-Carrier/dp/B009KQ86A6/ref=sr_1_24?keywords=nathan+handheld&qid=1552410500&s=gateway&sr=8-24
  • runnermom419
    apullum wrote: »
    Generally speaking, it's very rare for me to see people wearing a Camelback at a half marathon. Most people just don't need that much water for that distance. However, if you need it, you should wear it.

I personally have a Flipbelt with the 11 ounce bottle that fits inside it. I've used this while training for several half marathons and it works well for me, though I generally don't start carrying it until I hit double digit mileage. I often put Nuun in it (just snap the tablet in half and it will fit into the bottle).

Another vote for mapping out any water fountains on your route. There aren't any on mine, but it was a game changer when I found a water fountain on a route where I used to live.

Trail half in the middle of July with only 4 aid stations? You better believe I had my Camelback on that day.

I've seen people with hydration packs for a 5K, so it's not unheard of.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    I preferred the camelback when running/training for marathons. The belt annoyed me with it's bouncing and I didn't like it around my waist. The camelback held more, didn't bounce, and you can put in ice if it's hot, warm water if it's cold!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    I use my Camelbak for half and full marathons. I find it easier to drink from than a squashed cup, and it's always available on MY schedule. I fill it with Gatorade, so I don't have to worry about a separate fuel strategy. I might manage to actually hit the wall if I figure out how to run faster, but fully glycogen loaded, I don't figure I need more than 300 or so calories throughout a marathon. I would probably require additional fluids for any sort of Ultra.
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    amykay9377 wrote: »
    I think it depends on your location and your fitness level. I live in FL and the thought of not taking ANYTHING with me freaks me out! I run with a 22oz Nathan and during MANY races, I'm out of water by the end. However, I'm 220+ pounds, not in the best shape, slow, and I'm a mouth-breather. I also am fond of bringing my own water because some places' water is nasty (I'm lookin' at you, St. Augustine).
    My only problem with a handheld is that my left arm gets tired of carrying it and it can cause shoulder tension, so I have to swap back and forth.

https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quickdraw-Handheld-Bottle-Carrier/dp/B009KQ86A6/ref=sr_1_24?keywords=nathan+handheld&qid=1552410500&s=gateway&sr=8-24

LOL! I live in south Georgia, and can definitely relate. I usually carry a small handheld bottle for short runs and a Camelbak for longer runs. And you're absolutely right about the water in St. Augustine - we've done several 5Ks there and learned the hard way to bring our own.