Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

“Large” Restaurant Customers need special accommodation?

Options
amyepdx
amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/dining/larger-customers-restaurants.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

What do you all think?
I think by the time I got to the point of “but all I can think about is the pain in my thighs and the arms of the chair pinching my sides and how much longer I will have to pretend everything is fine.” I’d worry more about getting healthy than which restaurant seats I can fit into.
She’s only 30 years old - that makes me sad too.

Replies

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    That was a difficult read. It shocked me to see the modern verbiage of people who "identify" as fat, obese, or large. That doesn't seem to be something up to personal choice.

Exactly - I was trying to figure out how to articulate that point. The denial was unbelievable

Fun fact - I live in the same neighborhood as that restaurant.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Though costly it might be to a restaurants advantage to modify their seating. Just take a look at statistics...there are far more people that are overweight and obese than there are "normal" weight...whatever normal is?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    For some reason the link didn't work for me ; I haven't read the article so apologies if I'm speaking out of turn
    I've never been overweight so have no personal experience but, my best and oldest friend is very overweight /obese and I know this is an issue for her. Mainly, I think, because she's embarrassed about her weight and hates the thought that other people might be put out or inconvenienced by it. When we eat out, I usually book a table and make specific requests so that she'll have enough room to be comfortable. I don't see a problem with restaurants accommodating people's different needs - I have an arthritic hip and therefore prefer a table on the ground floor. I don't see that this is any different to that or, say, people who want extra space for a push chair or wheel chair.
    The issue of my friend's weight and what she should or shouldn't be doing about it is a separate issue. She's not in denial - she knows only too well of the health risks and impact on her mobility.