Mushrooms in March!

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,879 Member
    Hi Magic, I have a really bad cold but no flu symptoms thank goodness. This cold is bad enough to kick my butt. My whole house sounds like your kitchen. I would rather move than try to catch up on things around here lol.

I am planning to stay home again today. I feel better but not even close to 100%. Still congested, sore throat, cough, fuzzy brain. Pushing through will just keep me sick longer. I am going to make a batch of soup today.
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,727 Member
    edited March 2019
    Oh goodness Mihani...that is one fierce cold. The best thing you can do for yourself is rest and stay home...just like you are doing. Lots of fluids...rest and hot showers may help to break up that congestion. Hope today's TLC works wonders for you! <3<3
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2019
    Hi everyone! It's been a few weeks since I've checked in. Hubby and I spent a weekend in Duluth in late Feb. and brought back a nasty virus. Both of sick for 2 full weeks.

Someone asked about work and turns out I'm not back to work yet. I realized I needed more time to grieve and process the many losses we've experienced this winter. I was not handling stress well and not in a good place for "putting on a happy face" for interviews. In addition to losing a sister-in-law to cancer at Christmas, and a cousin who froze to death the day after Christmas (he became disoriented due to his meds and left the care facility where he was in rehab for an accident), in February, we lost a nephew to suicide (my niece, his wife, is in the process of suing the doctors who prescribed a deadly combination of drugs - nephew had no previous symptoms of mental health issues and was simply given Rx by two different doctors without any tests to see what was causing his symptoms). Tragic.

Gosh, I'm full of sunshine. However, I'm filled with determination and hope - feel like I've turned the bend in what has been a very long winter.

I attempted a green smoothie yesterday without seeking out a recipe. It was just so-so. If you have a non-fruit (or minimal fruit) green smoothie, I'd love your recipe!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,567 Member
    Hi everyone! It's been a few weeks since I've checked in. Hubby and I spent a weekend in Duluth in late Feb. and brought back a nasty virus. Both of sick for 2 full weeks.

Someone asked about work and turns out I'm not back to work yet. I realized I needed more time to grieve and process the many losses we've experienced this winter. I was not handling stress well and not in a good place for "putting on a happy face" for interviews. In addition to losing a sister-in-law to cancer at Christmas, and a cousin who froze to death the day after Christmas (he became disoriented due to his meds and left the care facility where he was in rehab for an accident), in February, we lost a nephew to suicide (my niece, his wife, is in the process of suing the doctors who prescribed a deadly combination of drugs - nephew had no previous symptoms of mental health issues and was simply given Rx by two different doctors without any tests to see what was causing his symptoms). Tragic.

Gosh, I'm full of sunshine. However, I'm filled with determination and hope - feel like I've turned the bend in what has been a very long winter.

I attempted a green smoothie yesterday without seeking out a recipe. It was just so-so. If you have a non-fruit (or minimal fruit) green smoothie, I'd love your recipe!

Hi @CoffeeandPie - Wow. That's a lot to deal with. I am so glad you feel like you are turning the corner. Keep taking care of yourself!

My morning smoothie or a variation on it might be worth a try? I make a smoothie with unsweetened cashew milk (1 cup), a cup of another liquid (water or cold brew coffee; regular brewed coffee would make for something pretty bitter), frozen spinach (about 4 oz), blueberries (about 40 grams) and ground flaxseed (15 grams). I sometimes add cinnamon.

And here's a recipe I have on my to-try list:
    https://consciouscleanse.com/fruit-free-green-smoothie/
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,331 Member
    Jacquie, I'm sorry to hear about all that you are dealing with. I am also looking forward to spring and better days. I use berries in my smoothie, not sure if that works for you, but the flavor is pretty bland especially at first if you're used to it being sweeter. 1 cup non dairy milk or yogurt, roughly a cup of baby greens, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 tbsp flax seeds. I also started by adding 1/2 a banana so it tasted better and now I don't usually have any at all.

Austin, I keep meaning to try out that coffee smoothie, but probably finding ways to get more coffee into my day isn't the best plan anyway!

Mihani, how are you feeling now? I know it is bad when you are staying home from work!

Software testing and manual writing ongoing. In the thick of it. Haven't had breakfast yet so I probably won't bother (almost 11 am here). I might have a smoothie for lunch. Nice and fast, no hassle and i get my flax and some greens.
  • magic71755
    MUSHROOMS! In love with these two...THE HAPPY PEAR. Absolutely will win you over in no time. Too great not to share! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEJ8ZDjZbyQ
  • Mihani
    Hey y'all... feeling almost normal this morning. I sure hope this cold is on the way out the door. It really knocked me down. I am going to get groceries delivered tonight I think, and do a little prepping tonight and tomorrow. I have scheduled a client for this weekend that I had to put off this week and have a lot of catching up to do so I will definitely be in the office most of the weekend.
  • magic71755
    edited March 2019
    Happy to hear you are starting to feel normal...I so understand when one is down with the cold/flu...not fun...life just sort of stops, unfortunately. But yay, things are looking up.

My long day at work...7am - 8pm...this is what I am packing:

Gluten Free whole oats with fresh berries (blueberries and raspberries), flaxseed, banana and almond milk unsweetened
    Carrot/Apple Juice
    GF bread hummus sandwich
    cuties and dark chocolate

Home, will have a massaged kale salad with avocado, lemon and Nutritional Yeast.

This is a big deal for me. NEVER had I made a massaged kale salad before yesterday...it was really good. And eating oatmeal that is raw...another first. Saw Dr. Esselstyn do that in one of the videos. Flaxseed, another first.

There are still a few items in my fridge and pantry that are not 100%. But no meat at all...(still have wild caught salmon...I just can't throw that out or even give it away...will use it up and be done with it).

I am always struggling to figure out what to take to work on my two long days. Yesterday I did cave to something prepared...I think they are called Madras Lentils...the box is in the car. I need a bit of help this next month as I figure out meals and transition into a completely WFPB diet. There are quite a few recipes for lentils and stews and such...I just am not set up in my kitchen to make them yet. I do think I will invest in an insta pot to help me along.

Anyway, that is it for today...I am excited to be part of this group...to follow a few people on YouTube and make WFPB diet a way of life...not just a diet.

Mushrooms are everywhere...so the title of this thread is perfect. Even the Happy Pear were talking about mushrooms. They said the IT food used to be Kale. Now, MUSHROOMS are the star food.

Have a great day everyone.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Glad you are starting to feel better, Mihani!

Magic, it is crazy how much better kale is massaged isn't it. You are doing great making all those food changes.

This week's batch is supposed heavy on soups, but we're getting some real spring weather here all of a sudden, so I think I'm going to pick a past meal plan.

The weather has also got me thinking about our garden this year. We're going to do some green beans, peas, tomatoes, zucchini, some other summer squash, greens, green onions, and some herbs. We still haven't completed our makeshift greenhouse, but plan to soon. Once that is done we can grow peppers again.

The back yard is all cleaned up and the branches are in burn piles. There's still a ton to do in the front yard and all down the driveway, but Joe and I are going to work on that tomorrow. And shop and batch apparently. hmm lol Might not get that much yard work done after all.

• Mihani
    Sorry to hear you’ve been having such a tough time, Jacquie. Sometimes it seems like losses come in waves like that and it hits you hard. You could try some dates in your smoothies to add sweetness. I used to use them when I first started making green smoothies.

Carla, how’s your work project going? Jealous of your spring-like weather. We have had a few warm days here and there but then the temperature plunges again. Your vegetable garden plan sounds wonderful. How is Ruby doing, is she all healed?

Hi Magic, I’ve still not tried a massaged kale salad but I should. I’ve never really cared for raw kale or kale chips, but I love it in any baked dish or soup or even just sautéed with a little balsamic or braggs. Lentils, split peas, black eyed peas are all quick cooking beans you could try. I usually use canned beans for other varieties, but I did get an Instant Pot for Christmas and plan to batch cook my own dried beans soon. I used to do that (stove-top) and freeze them in 2 cup containers. They did really well in the freezer. The guys in that cooking video are fun and very watchable to boot!

I had a bit of a relapse and was feeling kind of off kilter today. I did stop at the grocery after I went to the office and picked up random veggies and fruit because I had no real plan, but looking at what I already have on hand I think I’m all set for the week.
  • magic71755
    edited March 2019
    Happy St. Paddy's Day, Gang!

Today, I brought to work:

Raw GF oats, banana, strawberries, flaxseed, almond milk (unsweetened)
    Lentils and rice
    cuties
    fresh strawberries
    Carrot/Apple fresh juice

After work...
    frozen cherries, fresh pineapple, turmeric, ginger, almond milk smoothie

Light salad of baby greens, peppers, cukes and a dressing of fresh lemon, white wine vinegar, nutritional yeast.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Hi there!

@magic71755 - I have never massaged kale. I found this recipe, and may try it!
    And oh, did your smoothie from yesterday sound good!

@CoffeeandPie - How are you doing this week?
    Also, I saw some plant-based WW recipes and thought of you.

We do not usually talk about fitness goals here, but I thought I would chime in today to say that I hit a big milestone when I weighed in for this week. I now have a BMI in the Normal range, according to the calculator posted by US National Institute of Health. Woohoo! I started at Morbidly Obese in January, 2018.

I am having a good ETL day, and am working on meal planning right after this.
    B - smoothie made with spinach, cashew milk, water, blueberries, ground flaxseed, plus a few golden berries on the side
    L - steamed spinach topped with pinto beans, nutritional yeast and coarse brown mustard, apple slices for dessert
    S - Kanzi apple slices, walnuts
    D will be a large salad with a lemon dressing, warm blueberries and cherries for dessert
  • Mihani
    You were rocking it yesterday Magic! Nice menu!

Woohoo, Austin!!! That's really fantastic! I got to normal BMI but then I gained a little back so I need to lose 10 or 15 pounds to get back out of the overweight range. I'm glad you reminded me... that's another reason to get to that goal! I like the Kanzi apples. The past couple years I've been on a mission to try all the varieties of apples at various times of the year.

Today was a very good reminder of why I should prep. I got stuck late at work then had to run an errand, walked in the door so not in the mood to fix anything so I had a baby spinach, onion and spicy brown mustard sandwich on sprouted grain toast and an apple. It's fine, I actually love lettuce sandwiches, but if I had made hummus and chopped some other veggies I could have made a much better sandwich.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    HI All,

Haven't checked in with everyone for a really long time. Boring story but back in the saddle again.
    I have finally gone sugar free; not a drop for a month now. So , the weight I gained back after a long bout of health problems is finally coming off.

Back to strict ETL and working out as best I can.

Looks like everyone is doing well. Glad to see that.

Austin congrats on the weight loss. It really works like he says.

There is now a Nutratarian app for those of you who have iphone and a drfuhrman.com membership. He calls it Nutrient IQ it is in the early stages so hopefully, they will expand the app. but basically you track your GBOMBS for the day and you get a Nutrient Score for the day. A good way to track and make sure I get all my categories in every day.

I am happy to be back :)
  • Mihani
    Terri !!! Long time no see. I was actually just thinking about you the other day when looking at some recipes you shared that I copied a long time ago. You've always been my ETL role model. Glad to hear that you are in better health now. Hope the family is well. I read about the nutritarian app but I've been using Dr. Greger's app for a while so I didn't look into it.

Had a good day except for a slip-up that was totally accidental and SO stupid. I had bought some raisins that were in the bulk section but packaged, and was eating some with pumpkin seeds and an apple after dinner. I thought they tasted kind of funny and looked at the container and the raisins were mixed with oil. Seriously??? I never thought to look at the ingredients, they are raisins, but I guess that's a lesson learned. Never take anything for granted.

B - oats with blueberries, chia seeds, turmeric and black pepper. Lately I've just been pouring some hot water on my oats and letting them sit for 5 minutes or so and they are perfect. I usually take them to work with me to prepare and eat when I get hungry, but if I'm home will usually use some plant milk.

L - steamer bag of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, a couple brown rice cakes, an apple with a little sunflower seed butter

D - big ol' salad with beans, balsamic and spicy brown mustard dressing, pumpkin seeds, an apple and the treacherous raisins
  • AustinRuadhain
    Hi there!

@Mihani - I so sympathize. It would indeed be easy to forget to read the label in the bulk section! I will be more careful ion the bulk section in the future! "treacherous raisins" made me laugh.

@tdh1991 - Nice to meet you, Terri! I have not anted up for a drfuhrman.com membership, but I do use Habitica (free, available on PC, Android,not sure about iphone) to track my G-BOMBS.

Good ETL day here, although my dinner salad was later than usual (after 9 PM) due to having gone to a martial arts class that ended at 8:30. I'll be eating a late breakfast tomorrow!

B - smoothie (spinach, cashew milk, flax seeds), a few golden berries, a cup of black coffee (something I have learned to love)

L - steamed chopped spinach, lentils, nutritional yeast, some Spike seasoning, apple slices

S - apple slices, walnuts

D - big salad, dressing (almond butter, vinegar from the pickled onion jar, Mrs Dash Garlic & Herbs), tart cherries and blueberries for dessert
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Good morning all,

Having oatmeal/berries, hemp seed breakfast then off to the gym for weight training and cardio.

Thanks for sharing what apps you are using so many good choices to track.
    Mahini; that happened to me too. Rushing at the store picked up some tortillas and did not read the ingredients list, just saw whole grains on the package. Have way to much sodium 600 mg per tortilla ---ugh. Didn't realize it till I logged it, no wonder I didn't like the taste of them.

Right now life is good. My son graduated college a year ago and now has a full time computer programming job with benefits. My daughter is in grad school getting her PHD in German and Philosophy--she just got engaged last fall and will be married on 12/31/2019. She and her fiance just bought a fixer upper house that they have been working really hard to get ready for an August move in. My practice/business has continued to grow and I have been working on being as efficient as possible. Work had taken over the past few years, so recently, I cut my hours to make sure I have time to work out.

So much going on.

Today:
    breakfast per above
    for lunch either skip or box power greens and some soup out of the freezer
    dinner: cooked mushrooms and onions and some soup out of the freezer
  • Mihani
    How long have you been doing martial arts, Austin? What a great idea to use the vinegar from the pickled onions in dressing. I'm going to try that.

Sounds like both kids are doing great, Terri. You must be so proud!

B - oats with the usual additions
    L - skipped it was super busy, ate some pretzels and a lara bar throughout the day
    D - big ol' salad with beans and cashew caesar, an apple

I have work yet to do tonight so I better get at it. I am going to take some time to plan and do prepping this weekend. I do so much better when things are ready through the week.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Hi Terri! Welcome back. Good to hear things are going well for you and your kids.

I made a tasty salad today for lunch. Quinoa, tomatoes, bell peppers, red onion, cucumber, fresh lemon juice and a drizzle of coconut aminos. Next time I'll add avocados for the fat. I have plenty left so I might have it for an easy dinner too.

o2mvb141ui5a.jpg
  • Carla_wfpb
    forgot I also added parsley and fresh basil. basil makes everything so good!