Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating mushrooms may cut your chances of dementia in half: Study

Phirrgus
Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
I'm making zero claims here: This caught my eye because I've lost several family members to dementia and wanted to put it up for discussion. I mean, this would be great news if true, and not woo.
https://nypost.com/2019/03/13/eating-mushrooms-may-cut-your-chances-of-dementia-in-half-study/

The study being cited:
http://news.nus.edu.sg/research/mushrooms-reduce-cognitive-decline
A team from the Department of Psychological Medicine and Department of Biochemistry at the NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine has found that seniors who consume more than two standard portions of mushrooms weekly may have 50 per cent reduced odds of having mild cognitive impairment (MCI).

A portion was defined as three quarters of a cup of cooked mushrooms with an average weight of around 150 grams. Two portions would be equivalent to approximately half a plate. While the portion sizes act as a guideline, it was shown that even one small portion of mushrooms a week may still be beneficial to reduce chances of MCI.

“This correlation is surprising and encouraging. It seems that a commonly available single ingredient could have a dramatic effect on cognitive decline,” said Assistant Professor Feng Lei, who is from NUS Psychological Medicine, and the lead author of this work.

The six-year study, which was conducted from 2011 to 2017, collected data from more than 600 Chinese seniors over the age of 60 living in Singapore. The study was carried out with support from the Life Sciences Institute and the Mind Science Centre at NUS, as well as the Singapore Ministry of Health’s National Medical Research Council. The results were published online in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease on 12 March 2019.

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    I've read other things about how good mushrooms are for you and I always have good intentions to eat them, (I buy 1-2 packages every time I get groceries), but I forget about them more times than I remember them for some reason? It's like they become invisible once they enter my home :p
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Interesting! I see that they want to do a randomized trial next where they will be giving the pure compound they think is responsible.
  • Phirrgus
    From a nutrition nerd perspective this is interesting and definitely not woo, but studies like this can lead to "superfood" status, and that's where the woo often creeps in.

You take a healthful food like mushrooms (blueberries, beets, kale etc.), compare people who eat it to people who don't, and study a resulting health benefit.

The nutrient in question here, ergothioneine, is highest in some varieties of mushroom, however black beans and oat bran are also good sources. A person with a healthful, varied diet could conceivably reap the same benefit without eating a single mushroom. That's good news for people who don't like mushrooms (or blueberries, beets, kale etc.).

It's wonderful that we're learning more about the benefits of different nutrients found in healthful foods and why they're so good for us, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that our diet as a whole matters a whole lot more than whether or not we consume the superfood of the moment.

Not woo is good to hear, and that's an excellent point regarding the superfood status. Thank you 🙂
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    (I buy 1-2 packages every time I get groceries),

ditto. Mine are gone quick though. I love, love, love mushrooms. And I majorly stock up on the canned Roland straw mushrooms whenever I go to Pricerite - I'm really fond of those.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2019
    i don't do mushrooms. i want to. but i just not a fan of taste and/or texture
    but i like cooking and so many wonderful dishes include mushrooms

one more reason for me to try to acclimate my tastebuds if this study and studies like it continue to support the idea
  • Phirrgus
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I'm making zero claims here: This caught my eye because I've lost several family members to dementia and wanted to put it up for discussion. I mean, this would be great news if true, and not woo.
    https://nypost.com/2019/03/13/eating-mushrooms-may-cut-your-chances-of-dementia-in-half-study/

The study being cited:
    http://news.nus.edu.sg/research/mushrooms-reduce-cognitive-decline
    A team from the Department of Psychological Medicine and Department of Biochemistry at the NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine has found that seniors who consume more than two standard portions of mushrooms weekly may have 50 per cent reduced odds of having mild cognitive impairment (MCI).

A portion was defined as three quarters of a cup of cooked mushrooms with an average weight of around 150 grams. Two portions would be equivalent to approximately half a plate. While the portion sizes act as a guideline, it was shown that even one small portion of mushrooms a week may still be beneficial to reduce chances of MCI.

“This correlation is surprising and encouraging. It seems that a commonly available single ingredient could have a dramatic effect on cognitive decline,” said Assistant Professor Feng Lei, who is from NUS Psychological Medicine, and the lead author of this work.

The six-year study, which was conducted from 2011 to 2017, collected data from more than 600 Chinese seniors over the age of 60 living in Singapore. The study was carried out with support from the Life Sciences Institute and the Mind Science Centre at NUS, as well as the Singapore Ministry of Health’s National Medical Research Council. The results were published online in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease on 12 March 2019.

Depending on the specifics of the study, might just be correlation. Those consuming a lot of mushrooms are probably eating a high-vegetable, varied diet. Mushrooms are often in things like stir fry and soup where lots of healthy, nutritious ingredients tend to be agglomerated together. Higher mushroom consumption might just tend to correlate to a healthier, varied, more nutritious diet in general.

Quite possible. If that's the case I need to up my veggie intake, not to mention there is never a bad reason to have more mushrooms :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    I'll be following this with interest. I love mushrooms and I'm old, so... ;)
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i don't do mushrooms. i want to. but i just not a fan of taste and/or texture
    but i like cooking and so many wonderful dishes include mushrooms

one more reason for me to try to acclimate my tastebuds if this study and studies like it continue to support the idea

Mushrooms have a taste?

slimy and weird

I generally put slimy into the texture category, and I don't know what weird is as a taste besides times I've licked myself.
    Might be the preparation of the mushrooms. I could see canned as being slimy, but fresh, I think of them as being more rubbery and dry in texture.
    I seriously just don't notice any real flavor to them, just the texture aspect.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Ate a lot of mushrooms back in the 70's. Gave me temporary dementia.

Life changing stuff.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @AnnPT77 the renaissance fair by us has portabella burgers and butter and garlic button mushrooms and they all smell wonderful but nope. they go in my mouth and then come right back out. can't even force a swallow :disappointed:

but that's an interesting idea about ground mushroom