Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    como_agua1 wrote: »
    ...i feel that the mind can often be the biggest enemy...

Truth!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 868 Member
    I just turned the big five O!

I have the mindset to stay active & have yet to slow down. People tell me I look much younger! :)

However I tend to push myself as hard as I did when I was 20. This sometimes causes much soreness. This past weekend I did some hill work. I was way ahead of guys my age and some younger. My right knee is reminding me that it might have been too much too soon... lol
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I think the comment about a guarantee of living to a ripe old age was a mistake, I think she meant to say no guarantee judging by the rest of the comment.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I plan to be walking and talking at my 110th birthday and have invited a few but it does require age discrimination.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited March 2019

I plan to be walking and talking at my 110th birthday and have invited a few but it does require age discrimination.

Nice 😁
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    edited March 2019
    I think the comment about a guarantee of living to a ripe old age was a mistake, I think she meant to say no guarantee judging by the rest of the comment.

Yes. Darn the editing time limit.
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    This is so inspiring!!! I'm only 32 but I look at my husband who just turned 40 & it scares me to know how quickly his health went downhill within the past 5 yrs due to not taking care of himself, physically and mentally. I try to have faith he will make a change bc right now he's acting like someone who is in there 50's who hasn't' taken care of themselves.. (no offence to anyone) I just wish he had someone who'd push him to do better in his health. :/ Thank you for this read!
  • Phirrgus
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My parents are in their 70s and just retired to VA. They had a 2 story house built on a decent sized piece of land, and everyone told them they were nuts to make their retirement home with stairs and a big yard to care for. But their philosophy is use it or lose it. If I have to get up the stairs, I'll prioritize being capable of getting up the stairs.

THIS...
    I turn 63 this year... and other than back surgery about 23 years ago, and a nasty sneaky development of raging bursitis flaring-up in my left hip this last fall (thank the gods for cortisone shots... I am not used to not being able to 'just walk it off'), I am in surprisingly decent shape/activity level (Now that I've lost weight that is!)

I live in a two story house (and constantly use all 3 levels (lotsa stairs, tall ceilings!)
    +
    My office area at work is on the second floor with a long set of steep stairs I am up and down at least 2 dozen times a day!

When customers my age come into the show-room, and are daunted by the prospect of having to go up those stairs, outwardly I commiserate with them... but inwardly? I thank my lucky stairs I have my two built-in stairmasters... as I give them full credit for just how well I CAN manage stairs (yes, even when the bursitis 'hit')

I am convinced that to move to a one level house / no stairs at work would quickly result in me finding stairs daunting as well, as I all too well remember that at a much heavier weight, I used to struggle in years past as well.

Yes, I also love to walk... sure do miss my walking partner, but not sure I will ever be ready for another (miss my faithful 'KIta' [ a husky], too much still).

Have never feared death (I am sure I will 'miss' out on things that happen after I am gone though, and that bothers me some)... plus I am constantly wanting to try/do new things.

Recently had a blast learning to use a plasma cutter and designing/making a steel 'dragon' head wall-art for my son for christmas! LOL

Before too much longer I am determined to try skydiving.. at least once! (despite being terrified of heights!).
    It WILL happen.

I dare anyone to tell me I am too old! LOL

Love your attitude, and that last bolded line :)
  • Phirrgus
    kalawhon wrote: »
    This is so inspiring!!! I'm only 32 but I look at my husband who just turned 40 & it scares me to know how quickly his health went downhill within the past 5 yrs due to not taking care of himself, physically and mentally. I try to have faith he will make a change bc right now he's acting like someone who is in there 50's who hasn't' taken care of themselves.. (no offence to anyone) I just wish he had someone who'd push him to do better in his health. :/ Thank you for this read!

You'll be the best inspiration he will have. Keep yourself going and be patient. Us guys...we can be slow sometimes :D
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member

I dare anyone to tell me I am too old! LOL

I like your style, Shelly! <thumbs up>

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    It's all about how you view yourself and life.

Amen...
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    The way I think of it, when you are young you train for fun or glory or excitement. Later you train because it centers you and makes you complete. Still later you train to remain healthy. Eventually you train to fight against your greatest opponent, age, the one who stalks us all. Your greatest opponent will be age.

This is a good perspective that I wish people in their teens and 20s had. I know so many people who wrecked their health by pushing themselves too far in sports or chasing gym PRs and ended up impaired and physically limited way too soon. I wouldn't trade being in my late 40s and beyond and feeling great physically for any amount of high school, college, or gym "glory" .
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited March 2019
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I will be 51 next week and my husband is 55. To me age is a number. I have always admired people in their 60s 70s and 80s who are very active and have such a vibrant, positive outlook on life.

I work out 6 days a week and people are shocked to know that I am 51. I love life, and I always try to find ways to better myself spiritually, mentally and physically. Until God calls me home I am going to keep it going with vigor and vitality and enjoy this journey.

My 27 yr old son wanted us to go with him and his friends to Vegas for his birthday. His friends thought we were the coolest and was seeking us out to hang with. We had a great time!

My mom is 77 and is very active. My dad is 76 and he acts like he's 96.

If you feel like you can't do this or that because you are old then you will feel and look old.
    I completely agree. Have you ever had people around you actually get uncomfortable because of your activity? I'm going to spend Sunday with a room full of them lol.

I don't try to go over the top around anyone, but I do insist on just being me and that means being active and living the fullest I'm able until...I can't :)

I literally had a conversation with my mom this morning about your post. I told her I am so proud of her and to stay as active as she can. She knows when she needs to rest but she really loves her activities.

She and people like her keep me motivated.

So @Phirrgus keep being you. Those people that are uncomfortable is because you are making them look bad and I am sure they regret not taking care of themselves. US OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!! ;)

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I will be 51 next week and my husband is 55. To me age is a number. I have always admired people in their 60s 70s and 80s who are very active and have such a vibrant, positive outlook on life.

I work out 6 days a week and people are shocked to know that I am 51. I love life, and I always try to find ways to better myself spiritually, mentally and physically. Until God calls me home I am going to keep it going with vigor and vitality and enjoy this journey.

My 27 yr old son wanted us to go with him and his friends to Vegas for his birthday. His friends thought we were the coolest and was seeking us out to hang with. We had a great time!

My mom is 77 and is very active. My dad is 76 and he acts like he's 96.

If you feel like you can't do this or that because you are old then you will feel and look old.
    I completely agree. Have you ever had people around you actually get uncomfortable because of your activity? I'm going to spend Sunday with a room full of them lol.

I don't try to go over the top around anyone, but I do insist on just being me and that means being active and living the fullest I'm able until...I can't :)

I literally had a conversation with my mom this morning about your post. I told her I am so proud of her and to stay as active as she can. She knows when she needs to rest but she really loves her activities.

She and people like her keep me motivated.

So @Phirrgus keep being you. Those people that are uncomfortable is because you are making them look bad and I am sure they regret not taking care of themselves. US OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!! ;)

@dbanks80 and you as well! I Love folks like your (and my!) Mothers...and if anyone were to ask if we're trying to redefine "old" I would say oh hell yes . Let's keep going.
    🙂💪👊