An apple a day....

Hello MFP. Kind of a strange question. Looking to see if anyone has had this happen to them before. When I eat apples, my face sweats. Not like gross dripping sweat, but it definitely starts to perspire a bit on my forehead, and the T-Zone area. It's so strange. Nothing else happens to me, my stomach is fine, everything... fine.. Just sweat and as soon as I am done eating the apple it stops. I'm stumped.

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited March 2019
    I have this exact same reaction but with citrus, if I eat an orange or a lemon I sweat so much. Sour candy is even worse... I’ve asked all my doctors and they’ve been puzzled. My only guess is perhaps it’s a strange allergic reaction 🤷‍♀️
    Are the apples you eat sour apples like green Granny Smith? Or sweet when this happens?
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I have this exact same reaction but with citrus, if I eat an orange or a lemon I sweat so much. Sour candy is even worse... I’ve asked all my doctors and they’ve been puzzled. My only guess is perhaps it’s a strange allergic reaction 🤷‍♀️
    Are the apples you eat sour apples like green Granny Smith? Or sweet when this happens?

I usually only eat honey crisp and I think they are on the sweeter side more than the sour side.
  • livingmybestlife123
    livingmybestlife123 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2019
    Yes apples give me indigestion and cause my mouth to itch. I’ve tried pealing them but had the same effect. I’ve eaten golden delicious red delicious Granny Smith and honey crips. All same reaction. Oranges does that if I don’t eat the out of the fridge. Navel oranges. Green Grapes cause my mouth to itch. Bananas also give me indigestion if I eat them on an empty stomach. Geeze☹️
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    do you wash your produce?

it could be a mild allergy due to pollen or pesticides.

there is a rare syndrome-frey's syndrome. might be something to check with a dr
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited March 2019
    Interesting. I havent heard of this before and i work in health care.

My apple of choice is Honeycrisp.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Watch out for chemicals sprayed onto fruit to make it look more beautiful, to make it last longer. A simple way to get rid of it and to get rid of that wax which is sprayed on - dip your fruit for a second into boiling hot water. Voila!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Mine too!

• branflakes1980
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    do you wash your produce?

it could be a mild allergy due to pollen or pesticides.

there is a rare syndrome-frey's syndrome. might be something to check with a dr

Yes I always wash all of my produce extremely well. I plan on bringing it up with the doctor the next time I go. Thank you :smile:
  • branflakes1980
    JBanx256 wrote: »

Mine too!

I won't eat any other kind. :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Hello MFP. Kind of a strange question. Looking to see if anyone has had this happen to them before. When I eat apples, my face sweats. Not like gross dripping sweat, but it definitely starts to perspire a bit on my forehead, and the T-Zone area. It's so strange. Nothing else happens to me, my stomach is fine, everything... fine.. Just sweat and as soon as I am done eating the apple it stops. I'm stumped.

It's your love for honey crisps shining though...
  • LJKN1GHT
    LJKN1GHT Posts: 67 Member
    Love apples but they make my mouth itch 🤨
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    JBanx256 wrote: »

Mine too!

Once I tasted them I couldnt go back to other apples.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    If you like honeycrisps, give pink lady or cripp's pink a try. I also tried an "opal" apple from TJ's today - incredibly sweet!
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    edited March 2019
    Maybe buy organic if you don't already. It may be the pesticides/fungicides/longevity products that they put on apples/produce.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    The apples know that your true football love is in Green Bay and not Chicago :p
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I eat an apple almost every day, but no problems here.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited March 2019
    re: the sweating - it could be a histamine reaction, potentially. Which can be allergy related OR can be related to something else due to histamine elevation (a histamine flush is one thing that can happen with lower level allergies. It causes heat, so possibly could cause sweating?).

One way to check this would be to get some liquid children's benadryl and either have it 20 minutes before you eat apples and see if the sweating is less, or have it afterward and see if you feel better quickly.

OR...if you have a very serious soy or dairy allergy, this could be a super low level reaction to that. Many apples have wax coatings, and I know at least one of the coatings (lac wax coating) typically has added soy or dairy. It's very minute amounts, so people don't usually react unless they have a serious allergy. But fresh produce is not regulated by the FDA, so the allergy warning labels are not required for things like this. :-/

RE: some folks with itching mouths. That's usually OAS - oral allergy syndrome. It can happen when the body mistakes something for something else that you are allergic too. Most commonly, it's mistaking something like apples for something you have a hay fever allergy to. They have lists of OAS common reactions based on what hay fever allergies one might have. It's super quirky.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Nope But apples make me feel hungry - so I never snack on them, they leave my stomach growling and demanding more food