Nervous of gastric sleeve

So I’m getting the gastric sleeve surgery on Tuesday and I’m getting nervous. The positives outweigh the negatives by far. But i can’t stop thinking that I’m not gonna be able to eat the food that I use to.
Advice?

Replies

• RitaRose91
    RitaRose91 Posts: 38 Member
    oh my gosh, im currently going through the program with kaiser, and im on the fence for the same reasons! :( sorry I can't be of much use in advice though
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I had the sleeve in 2013. Its a tool, not a magic fix. I think of it the same way I do of my Fitbit. It only counts the work that I actually do. Feel free to PM me with any questions, Im happy to help
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Well, the whole point of having surgery is to make sure that you can't eat the way you did before... If that doesn't work for you - you might want to reconsider. I did the lap band back in 2006 and it was truly one of the best decisions of my life - but, that was me.

I have to eat more slowly - of course - and I eat a lot less - but, I don't feel like I can't eat some of whatever I want. The only thing I had to actually give up was carbonated drinks... I was a diet pepsi fiend... and that is no longer possible... Also, Champagne, beer - anything bubbly causes excruciating pain - but that might not be true for you.

I don't know all the deets on the sleeve - but, I suspect it's somewhat similar.

Think hard - because undoing these things is very difficult. And yes, it is NOT a magic fix... you have to do the work - hence the fact that I am still working these many years later, to lose the last 50 lbs. Of course, I have lost a total of 182 pounds, so far.

Good Luck!

• adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Surgery is a big step. In my opinion, unless you have other serious medical conditions, that you are better off trying to lose weight on your own. I know two people who had WLS and have had serious health issues like brittle bones and ulcers. The sleeve is less risky than bypass, though. Whatever you and your doctor decide, I hope you are successful.

• quitefranckly
    quitefranckly Posts: 2 Member
    I had the surgery 5 months ago and consider it the best thing I have done for myself. It is most certainly not a fix by itself. It is one of numerous strategies (“tools”) you will use for the rest of your life to be healthy. What it has done for me is 1) kick-start a great amount of weight loss (82 lbs so far!), 2) help with portion control which was always the biggest contributor to being unable to maintain past weight loss, and 3) had me make a big enough investment in myself after which I will never revert back to my old behaviors and lifestyle that inevitably contributed to regain... You can still eat most things but your stomach and body prefer higher protein and low carb after the GS. I work out regularly now and continually push myself further to try new things physically that I previously felt uncomfortable doing. As I said the best way to put it is the best “jump start” I could have gotten to change this aspect of my life.. The rewards and what you gain in feeling better about yourself far outweigh the cost of not eating a few foods — which are probably the ones that made you overweight and unhealthy in the first place. Don’t be afraid of this. It is life-changing in very good ways. Feel free to message me if you want more info. Best wishes to you as you begin this very exciting journey!!
  • christophergrant1
    christophergrant1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2019
    f
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    crb426 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "I can't stop thinking that I'm not going to be able to eat the food that I used to".

Isn't that the point of the sleeve? Losing weight will mean that you must lower your intake of calories, either through lower calorie food choices or smaller portion sizes, or even better: both. You should be getting the sleeve as a way to help you control your cravings and desire for large amounts of food while focusing on your diet. Meaning that your calorie control should be on you, not the sleeve. The sleeve is there to help, but shouldn't be doing all the work.

If you aren't already focused on calorie counting and adjusting your diet for weight loss, then maybe you should hold off on the sleeve until you try a diet adjustment on your own first.

I agree with this. I’d be more concerned of falling back into old habits, with thoughts like this.
  • kangle97
    kangle97 Posts: 3 Member
    I had gastric bypass Dec 2014. Definitely a tool, not a cure all. I would say 99.5% of it is mental as once you go through the WLS, there is a chemical change between the stomach and the brain. It definitely works and there were years where I had to remind myself to eat at times! I did it to save my life because of HBP and my diabetes could no longer be controlled, even if I starved myself...it worked. However, I am going on 5 year post-op and the weight is starting to creep up (I have gained about 35 pounds from my lowest). My sugar levels are creeping up as well....as I find it very hard to do the protein thing. Protein shakes practically gag me now and I no longer enjoy eating which I now turn to the unhealthy things...again...a total mental thing! You must be mentally ready before you go into the WLS. If your not, take the time to get ready. It took me 9 months. I made myself lose weight prior and I followed all the right steps. It worked for me, but now I am struggling to get back on track (BOT). I know I can do it, but I will NOT be going about it the surgical way...I'll do it naturally this time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!