I jogged/ran for an hour!

So chuffed. First time I've ever been able to jog/run continuously for an hour on a treadmill. Only managed 8.6km but it's the furthest I've done none stop since starting (on and off) in September and I'm aiming for 10km in the next few months. Maybe then I'll finally start doing outdoor runs...Woop!

Replies

• RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Congrats!
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Well done! For me, it is easier to run outdoors. I can't last three minutes straight on a treadmill. I am sure you will find it easier than you think. Keep up the incredible work.
  • anna246marie
    anna246marie Posts: 15 Member
    That’s AMAZING!!! well done
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Congrats! Well done!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    woo hoo! :drinker:

definitely get outside now though if the weather permits though!!!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    That’s awesome! Great job and keep building on that! 😊
  • lemonginger35
    lemonginger35 Posts: 38 Member
    That's awesome. Congrats.

Even I want to achieve something like that. How did you do it? Did you do anything like C25K? Thanks.
  • wanderingaowie
    wanderingaowie Posts: 13 Member
    That's awesome. Congrats.

Even I want to achieve something like that. How did you do it? Did you do anything like C25K? Thanks.

I'd like to say that I followed some kind of programme, but actually what's worked for me has been slowing down my pace (after following advice from people on MyFitnessPal), listening to a story-based podcast that I get pretty absorbed into and changing up my running goals on the treadmill now and again so I don't get bored. Sometimes I work towards a certain time, sometimes a certain distance. I realised that the biggest barrier for me was more psychological than physical. Now I actually look forward to going to the gym because it means I can listen to more stories, and I just try to increase my distance or time each week. It's not exactly an effective workout plan, but it's working for now!
  • addickens
    addickens Posts: 11 Member
    Congratulations, if you were able to jog/run 8.6km in an hour indoors on a treadmill, you are ready for a 10K outside. Pick an event that sounds like fun and just jog it to finish it. I predict you will be amazed at how well you do. The point is to have fun, you will continue exercise if you are having fun. Great job.!!!
  • dimrub
    dimrub Posts: 11 Member
    Congrats, realising you can run such a distance is a game changer (it was for me). If I can offer a word of advice though, I'd suggest you try tubing outside a few times before you attempt a race - it's a very difference experience than running on a treadmill.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Congratulations, you must be very proud of yourself and you should, Keep marching, I mean running, forward.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Major Milestone. Well done! Cracking effort. 👏
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,812 Member
    @ahodgeface ... Congrats

@lemonginger35
    I started c25k last May. I only run on a treadmill due to knee surgery. I took my time completed the programme in the 8 weeks and then worked on increasing speed.
    My advice ... don't start too quick. My physio said start at your slowest jogging pace (that now feels so slow!).
    There are lots of programmes out there but I wanted a very simple one. 3 runs spread out over the week ... rest days are very important ....
    Don't miss out the 5 min walking warm up and cool down
    Wk 1: run 60sec walk 60 x8
    Wk 2: run 90 sec walk 60 x7
    Wk 3: run 3 min walk 1 x6
    Wk 4: run 5 min walk 1 x5
    Wk 5: run 7.5 min walk 1 x 4
    Wk 6: run 10 min walk 1 x3
    Wk 7: run 15 min walk 1 x2
    Wk 8: run 30 x1 :)

Because I was running slowly I wasn't quite making 5k so I then used the same method (slowly increasing distance) until I was running 5k (took about 45mins). Then I increased speed using the same process - 3 runs a week before increasing again. Now I can easily run 5k in just over 30mins.
    Good luck!
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    High five! That is awesome!
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Great job! 8.6 km/hour is terrific! My first 10k wasn't at that pace.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!