First day in the gym, some help please.

Hi,

So, it’s my first day at the gym tomorrow, and i’m VERY nervous about it. I get very anxious around people so joining the gym was a very difficult step for me but I’ve done it now. I have no idea what I should do as my first work-out. I’m a beginner, looking to lose some weight and tone up my body. I’ll try and get a personal trainer to show me around but I don’t want to go to the gym without a plan. I don’t want to aimlessly move from one machine to another. I’m trying to make a plan but I’m honestly at a loss, I have no idea what my workout plan should be like. Can someone help me please?

I’m a beginner female, btw.

Replies

• jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    What is your current level of fitness? What are your goals?

I know it can be anxiety- provoking, but most gyms are comfortable places to be. Most people are focused on their workouts and minding their own business. You’ll be fine:)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Usually on any first day at a new gym I like to first do a walk around then find either a treadmill or elliptical that’s centrally located and get on that while I continue to look around and take everything in. It gives me an idea of where I want to start, what areas are crowded, where I’ll be able to stretch at the end, etc. I do prefer the gyms that have a trainer help you on the first day familiarize yourself with everything but not every gym offers that. Good luck! Just keep in your mind that everyone else is there to work out, just like you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Also look into their class schedule.
  • inherentst0rm
    inherentst0rm Posts: 84 Member
    I would suggest seeing if they have an area with a circuit of machines around for you to go from one to the next to get a well rounded workout, I know PF and crunch fitness have these sort of areas...My first few weeks I wore a hoodie and kept the hood up so I wouldn't be able to see people out of the corner of my eye and wonder if they were watching me or judging me.
  • Bambogli
    Bambogli Posts: 8 Member
    jnomadica wrote: »
    What is your current level of fitness? What are your goals?

I know it can be anxiety- provoking, but most gyms are comfortable places to be. Most people are focused on their workouts and minding their own business. You’ll be fine:)

My fitness level atm is basically a beginner’s. And my goal is weight loss primarily and also toning up.

You’re right, everyone is there to workout, not observe me.

Thank you. :smile:
  • Bambogli
    Thank you for the replies everyone, hopefully once I go there and see how it is, my nerves would calm down a little.

I’ll keep your suggestions in mind- ask a PT to show me around, do circuits and join classes. All great advice, thank you’ :smiley:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    How was your session?
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    When I started at the gym (years ago) I bought magazines and a wightlifitng book, and even now, years later, I watch videos when I want to try a new exercise.

All of us are learning, just at different levels.

My gym gives tours to newbies to introduce you all the machines... there are a lot and they can be overwhelming. Maybe your gym offers something similar?

If you can afford it, a few sessions of training (with someone who is qualified) or circuit training classes can be helpful.

Just remember: you paid a membership and you have a right to be there as much as anyone else. Most people ignore you, because most people are focused on their own thing.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    rosiorama wrote: »
    When I started at the gym (years ago) I bought magazines and a wightlifitng book, and even now, years later, I watch videos when I want to try a new exercise.

All of us are learning, just at different levels.

My gym gives tours to newbies to introduce you all the machines... there are a lot and they can be overwhelming. Maybe your gym offers something similar?

If you can afford it, a few sessions of training (with someone who is qualified) or circuit training classes can be helpful.

Just remember: you paid a membership and you have a right to be there as much as anyone else. Most people ignore you, because most people are focused on their own thing.

Agree with this. Really good idea to get an instructor at the facility to show you some exercises on the machines/ free weights etc. and build a little routine for you to get started and give you confidence. It should be enjoyable and fun. Keep at it because results do not happen as quick as quickly as some "influencers" on social media suggest. Once you start seeing things happen you might find yourself quite hooked. Remember there are dozens and dozens of variations when exercising different parts of the body, if one doesn't seem to do it for you, change the exercise. This is what keeps it interesting! :)

• grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Do not get sucked into comparisons. Love where you are right now - at the gym!! And celebrate your successes - second day doubles your gym attendance 🙂
  • Bambogli
    How was your session?

It was great. Luckily, found a good trainer who showed me around, and helped me prepare a plan himself. :smile:
  • Bambogli
    @rosiorama @oedipuss : thank you! That’s what I ended up doing...the gym offered a personal trainer session and I asked him for help, which made it much easier. So for now I’m a lot more relaxed. Thanks again for the great advice!

@grace42c : so true, it’s so easy to forget that. Ink keep reminding myself. Thank you :smile: