Athletes oatmeal

Options
Jthanmyfitnesspal
Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
If you want oatmeal for breakfast but find that it doesn’t have enough protein and that it needs more fat to be satisfying, this is for you. Note that this recipe is about 500kcals.

-Put 1 cup fresh or frozen berries in a big bowl
-Sprinkle .5 cup non-sweetened instant oats on top
-Add 1oz nuts (walnuts, pecans, or almonds, chopped)
-Pour ¾ cup nonfat milk over all, getting all the oats wet

-Put in microwave for ~5 minutes at ~60% power (adjust as necessary to heat everything including the frozen berries). If you use fresh berries, it takes significantly less time.
-Stir and allow to stand for an extra minute or two.

-Add ¼ cup (or more) non-fat plain Greek yogurt to top
-Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste

Result:

Combines the high-quality carbs and fiber of oatmeal, the high-protein of non-fat dairy, and the high-quality fats in nuts (some people think walnuts are the best). The berries add a little sweetness and some more fiber, although eating oatmeal without added sugar takes some adjustment to your taste buds. You can always add some honey on top!

Mod for summer: Using fresh berries, you don’t even have to heat it up. Just let the milk soak into the instant oats.

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    That sounds very good as I like oatmeal and make a similar oatmeal but without the berries. Sadly, even with nuts, oatmeal is impressively unsatiating for me. Very very tasty, but leaves me hungry within an hour.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I stir in an egg or two in the last couple minutes of cooking on the stove top to add protein.

Microwaved oats are probably hot enough at the end to cook the egg. You could stir it in well to make sure it doesn't scramble then cook another 30 seconds too.

1 egg I don't even notice. 2 it starts to become noticeable but is still good.