Weird things after losing weight

Options
For one. No one told me I would have this extreme habit to look in the mirror every time I see one. Like...borderline weird about it. Not because I like to check myself out (mirrors were made by satan lol) but because I would always have to check and make sure I still had lost weight. I keep having to double check to make sure every time I pass a mirror. Hopefully the general public doesn't take notice 🤔 (also chairs...I question if I can sit in one comfortably a lot without realizing it)

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I walk in the mall a lot and compulsively check my reflection in the windows. I don't think it's all healthy for me, it depends, it's not negative self-talk but it's a lot of hyper focusing.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Im still a little shocked when I catch my reflection.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Definitely the temperature change as some have mentioned. It's almost intolerable to me sometimes. I never realized what a difference there was until I lost all the weight.

And same with my tail bone as @manderson27 just said. It's uncomfortable to say the least and I didn't have a lot of padding back there to begin with! :lol:
  • grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Cold. I get cold all the time. Missing that fat layer that used to keep me warm.

Off topic, but that is a beautiful horse and rider!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The sensitivity to cold diminishes after about 2 years in my experience, though hands still get cold easily.
  • ColeSlaw1234
    ColeSlaw1234 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Not so much anymore, but I first lost a significant amount of weight I was shocked when I felt something hard on my body and realized it was a bone. For instance, I can feel my collar bone, my ribs, and my hip bone now where I could not before. It used to really amuse me to be able to feel those parts of my body that were always there but were not accessible to me.
    Another weird thing is that I do not really realize how much I have weight until I see myself in pictures. When I look at my body it looks the same as before I lost weight, but in the pics i can see it. Same with clothes I can look at clothes and tell they are too big for me but I do not see the size on my body. Weird.

I relate! I asked my mom what was sticking out so much and she told me to calm down and that it was just my collar bone
  • ColeSlaw1234
    ColeSlaw1234 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started. Cold extremities to the point my hands traumatize people :D , loose skin, and the looking in the mirror a lot others have mentioned. I used to have a lot of pain in my coccygeal area when sitting for long periods, but as I built more muscle in my glutes, this seems to happen much less.

I have filled in loose areas on my arms and chest with muscle to the point that you can't tell I used to be obese unless you see me completely shirtless. I'm very sensitive to meds now, as has also been mentioned. Honestly though, I sometimes still feel like a fat person even though I am not.

I was obese all of my life, so I still get the thought of "everyone is going to stare at me because I'm fat/ugly" when in reality I am perceived as normal or moderately attractive now. It throws me through a loop. But I genuinely am very happy with my body for the most part. I have come to terms with the fact that it isn't going to be bodybuilder-tier without surgery, and I'm not sure I ever want an operation solely for aesthetics.

I understand. Sometimes it's like my mind hasn't adjusted to my new appearance. I've debated in operation in order to help with things like loose skin, but it's a very tough decision to make
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Not so much anymore, but I first lost a significant amount of weight I was shocked when I felt something hard on my body and realized it was a bone. For instance, I can feel my collar bone, my ribs, and my hip bone now where I could not before. It used to really amuse me to be able to feel those parts of my body that were always there but were not accessible to me.

I had a similar experience.

One night as I was settling into bed I was laying on my back and rested my hand on my lower chest/upper stomach and felt the xiphoid process on the bottom of my sternum sticking out!! I only then realised that I'd lost enough weight that my stomach had started to actually drop below my chest cavity and go concave when I was laying on my back.

I'd by lying if I said I didn't deliberately lay on my back and feel for that ossified cartilage protrusion every night now =)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So one is that my shoes feel like they're getting too big. Kinda annoying actually.

The other thing is that my legs feel so odd when I cross them now.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Another weird thing is that I do not really realize how much I have weight until I see myself in pictures. When I look at my body it looks the same as before I lost weight, but in the pics i can see it. Same with clothes I can look at clothes and tell they are too big for me but I do not see the size on my body. Weird.

Pretty much all of this applies for me too. Once I had an itch, and when I went to scratch the center of my back, I felt bone there (spine) and totally thought I had some foreign object stuck to my back for a few seconds and then I thought I had some kind of problem with my back. It legitimately freaked me out.

I'm about five years into maintenance and still have some of these. ESPECIALLY the photo thing. Photos still freak me out and I don't imagine myself as looking that different. I am now used to my body to the point that I don't really look in mirrors as much as I did a few years ago. I have a better idea of how big I am in relation to others. That was a "thing" for me when I was 100+ lb heavier, that I felt pretty average/normal honestly but then I would see photos or a reflection of me with friends and I was just soooo much larger and wider. I am finally used to feeling like I am standard sized and maybe a little taller/shorter or curvier, whatever. But it's nice not really calculating any of that in my head like I used to.

I was a chubby/tall kid and then obese since age 16. So for twenty years I was used to always worrying that people would focus on my weight. Now at 42, and having lost the weight in my mid thirties, I find that instead I've traded the weight concern for wondering if people will think I'm "old" or trying to act/dress too young. It's really always something I guess! :p

I feel like strangers give me way less personal space. I never realized in the past that I was given a wider berth due to my size, but apparently I was. People just stand SO close now. I feel like random ladies touch me a lot now and I am NOT really accustomed to it. For example, if I'm shopping in a store the clerk will touch me for emphasis or some lady I've just met will put her arm around me. I never experienced that before and was used to only being touched by my husband, family, and closest friends. It is an adjustment.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    So one is that my shoes feel like they're getting too big. Kinda annoying actually.

Mine too, so annoying!
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink anymore but after losing 6 stone I have a low threshold for booze as I found out a couple weeks ago. I get cold but I think that's my low thyroid, I do check in the mirror to reaffirm that I have lost weight but this has tailed off after 8 months of maintainance. Also when I had to get new cloths in a UK size 12 I felt like an imposter picking them up as I still had in my head that I was a size 24! Thankfully that has gone now
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, and I agree with all the people who mention the lowered booze threshold. I don't drink often (I would rather spend my calories on chocolate) but I'm a cheap date these days!

Even better, the same goes for painkillers. On the rare occasions it's necessary, I now get the same effect from one tablet of OTC paracetomol-with-codeine that I used to get from two tablets of prescription-strength codeine.