Cold Start Yogurt

Options
I actually made yogurt yesterday. I used an 11.5 oz. bottle of Fairlife 2% milk and 1 tsp of Oui Vanilla yogurt. I sterilized all my utensils, bowls, and jars. Whisked 1 heaping tsp of the Oui yogurt with the whole bottle of Fairlife 2% until mixed well and I poured it into two 8 oz. jars evenly and screwed on the lids. Set in my IP Mini Duo and filled up to 2/3 of the jars with water. Hit the yogurt button and set to 6.5 hours (I don't like tart). When done, I put in the fridge overnight. I strained the yogurt for 3 hours the next morning to thicken it and flavored half with strawberry jello and the other half with banana pudding. I made two partaits with chopped strawberries and truvia and granola. They were so good. I do not like store bought yogurt, but I really liked my homemade yogurt.

veaoed.jpg
29gmwdd.jpg

Replies

• AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying it with coconut milk to make it low carb.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've seen Fairlife mentioned all over the internet re: IP yogurt. This brand of milk only recently appeared on our shelves in Canada and I'm curious about why it's preferred for making yogurt. Does it have more fat?
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    aoffman wrote: »

Please keep us updated, I'm super curious to hear how this goes. I've always assumed yogurt requires dairy milk to make, but I'd be thrilled if it works with non-dairy milk!

OP, those parfaits look a m a z i n g.
  • baygirl2019
    baygirl2019 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Lorleee wrote: »
    I've seen Fairlife mentioned all over the internet re: IP yogurt. This brand of milk only recently appeared on our shelves in Canada and I'm curious about why it's preferred for making yogurt. Does it have more fat?

Fairlife is ultra-pasteurized. That is the only type of milk you can use for cold start. You can use any milk if you do the heat process.
  • AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just need to remember to buy some yogourt to start it... I haven't been eating it since I've been on Keto, so its not on my mind to look for it.
    sheloves89 wrote: »
    aoffman wrote: »

Please keep us updated, I'm super curious to hear how this goes. I've always assumed yogurt requires dairy milk to make, but I'd be thrilled if it works with non-dairy milk!

OP, those parfaits look a m a z i n g.

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks baygirl2019 I didn't know that about the milk. I really should try to make yogurt because I eat it for breakfast every morning lately!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Lorleee wrote: »

Fairlife is ultrafiltered. The components of the milk are broken down, filtered, and then reassembled. They put more protein components and fewer sugar components to make higher protein milk with no lactose.

It is ALSO ultra-pasteurized. This is what makes it suitable for cold start milk. But Fairlife is NOT the only ultra-pasteurized milk. Many conventional and organic milks are also ultra-pasteurized. They will say Ultra-pasteurized, or UHT on them. This high-temperature pasteurization is what makes it suitable for cold start milk, not the brand name filtered nature.

It has more protein and less sugar. It comes in skim, reduced fat, whole, etc - with same fat amounts as regular milk.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious OP, I've never made it with Oui before :smile: